How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
Do you worship the scale, or only bring it out of the closet once a week?

My roommates and I have a scale in our bathroom, so I admittedly weigh myself everytime I'm in there... Usually 5 to ten times a day. I only count the first one after I wake up as 'official', though. I know this is too often but I'm addicted! Seeing the number so often makes me think twice before snacking.

So... how often do you weigh yourself? And how often is best to weigh yourself? What are the pros and cons of weighing yourself too often, or not often enough?

Replies

• peterchr1s
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, butt naked before I get in the shower. Sometimes if I feel "light" in the evening after working out I will strip down and weigh myself again to see if there has been any progress through the day. Then I get mad if there hasn't been. I think daily is enough - some people say you should only weigh yourself once a week because your weight can fluctuate daily due to fluid retention, etc. I HATE weighing myself on Monday's - seems I always blow it during the weekend but am back on track by Friday.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday but I record my weight Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays.. that way I don't go too long without "checking in." I used to have a habit of being a little naughty right after weigh in because I knew I wasn't going to weigh in again for another 6 days which usually led to undereating the day or two before I stepped on the scale. This way it's steady and when I do cheat I see the consequences right away.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I only weigh in once a week. I think it is better to not weigh yourself too often because you are not going to see a huge difference daily, but it feel good to step on the scale a see a 2-4lb difference. But too each his own, whatever works
  • LadyBarb
    LadyBarb Posts: 116
    Options
    Daily!
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Every day until I find a day I like.
  • Kristierlong
    Kristierlong Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm a little OCD, i do it multiple times a day.
  • 1fitmama
    1fitmama Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Once a week. I put in my closet and bring it when I weigh. I think having the scale in the bathroom would have me weighing constantly.
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, butt naked before I get in the shower. Sometimes if I feel "light" in the evening after working out I will strip down and weigh myself again to see if there has been any progress through the day. Then I get mad if there hasn't been. I think daily is enough - some people say you should only weigh yourself once a week because your weight can fluctuate daily due to fluid retention, etc. I HATE weighing myself on Monday's - seems I always blow it during the weekend but am back on track by Friday.
    laffin oh this is me thru and thru! every morning before i eat, then again after a workout and shower. I don't remember a time when I smiled so big, giggled and clapped after stepping off the scale, as I have been since I joined MFP! I love this group!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Here's some irony: while I was losing weight, I weighed once a week at a weight loss group on a fancy digital scale. Once I finished losing one of my rewards was a wii fit and now I weigh everyday around the same time. I see the benefits of both methods. Personally I think it motivated me to have to wait and see--no room to feel like I could just coast! Weighing everyday has made me aware of the direct consequences of my choices, especially with respect to sodium and late night snacking.
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I personally do not weigh in on Monday's cause the weekends usually get me off course. I only officially weigh in every 2 weeks-- cause it takes me that long to have a change.
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I weighed myself once a week.

But then I started exercising and the scales weren't moving but my clothes were WAY looser than usual, so I've kind of ditched it. For me it wasn't worth it because I was getting frustrated and feeling like my efforts where fruitless.

So now the scale is only one factor, and a very small factor, at how I measure success. and from now on, I plan on weighing once a month.

I wish you the best,

- Eva
  • calell83
    calell83 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I weigh in about 3 times a week....always in the morning
  • sunnyk8
    sunnyk8 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I officially weigh in once a week... on Tuesdays.

But I usually check it every other day or so.
  • sayuri1
    sayuri1 Posts: 111
    Options
    If I were to do it everyday I would torment myself =/ So I've learned only to do it once a week.
  • saldanaagency
    Options
    Every morning and before I go to be at night. I find that I am heavier at night than the mornings. Is there a reason for this?
  • sayuri1
    sayuri1 Posts: 111
    Options
    Every morning and before I go to be at night. I find that I am heavier at night than the mornings. Is there a reason for this?

because you've eaten and drank through the day. that's why it's better in the morning and even more after you've gone to the bathroom for number one and two, sorry if it sounds gross =/
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I do this exact same thing, bucky naked, right after go to the bathroom. #1 adds to the scale, can't have that. But I try not to get to upset if I gain. I try to correct it the next day. I found that i'm more accountable weight in daily or multiple times a week. I tried weighing in weekly and found that when I wanted to eat some thing a little bad, I would, thinking oh I have a few days to work that off. But as the days past, that something bad was starting to turn into a couple of things bad, and i had to nip that in the bud!

On another post on this topic someone posted a quote saying "if you look at the scale and have slightly gained and it motivates you, then weigh in daily. If you get discouraged, weigh in weekly." I find that to be true also.
  • flossicle
    Options
    I jump on the scales once a week, always on the same day and roughly the same time, give or take 10 mins. I always do it b4 i eat anything and after i've been to the loo, and horribly naked too lol.. This way i have consistency and i get a bigger picture of how i'm doing on a weekly basis, i couldn't weigh every day as i think it would end up ruling my day and i'd starve myself if my weight fluctuated day to day, which can't be a good habit!
  • MISTTIMG
    MISTTIMG Posts: 136
    Options
    I don't even know where my scale is, It must be outside somewhere.. Not sure where it landed..lol
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options