Hi! First Day....Any Motivational Tips?

Options
Hello! My name is Tasha and I've been trying to lose weight for nearly my whole adult life. Within the past year and a half I gained 30 lbs, putting me at 201 lbs on my 5'4" frame. I'm a curvy woman by nature, so I'm by no means in denial for what would be a healthy weight on my body (in fact, I prefer to maintain soft curves), but the idea of losing 50-60 lbs scares the heck out of me!! So I'm looking here for some friendly support.

I'm pretty good with my diet (1200 a day according to MFP and have been couting calories almost everyday for two months now), but I am baaaaaaaaaad at getting myself active. I work in an office and find myself low on energy after the workday. I know I need to get 45-60 minutes of cardio a week (even if it's light to moderate) in order to lose the weight, as diet alone just doesn't work for me. But in the past year and a half since I moved, I haven't found the same kind of active buddies, and my partner isn't too keen on getting himself to the gym yet. I know I need to lead by example, but still find myself lazing away when I know I need to put in the exercise time...

Does anyone have any great tips for motivation or getting active for that first time? How to start a routine that is doable at first, but still challenging in nature? How many times a week and what types of exercise will get you some quicker initial results that help keep you motivated?

Any help would be appreciated! I'm also looking for friends that will help encourage me through this journey. I look forward to offering the same support to you all!

Replies

• KalieHudson
    KalieHudson Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Welcome Tasha! MFP is a great place to help you achieve your weight loss goals. I am the same way I have to exercise to lose weight diet alone doesn't work for me. Making friends on here is a great way to keep you accountable and motivated on your journey. I have sent you a friend request. Anyone feel free to add me!
  • gothisavi
    gothisavi Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    the more friends the better. there's are real community on here and everyone supports each other through the super days and the bad ones too so add lots of people so you have full support on your journey, it really works :)

try and log as honest as you can as the feedback can make a difference and help you.

i would say don,t deprive yourself too much and it takes a while to get into it fully so don't worry if you go over the first few days as your body needs to get used to it! and in the long run if you are craving that piece of cake then go for a walk/jog to burn the calories, don't put it off as in the past i have ended up eating several slice which is worse than the little treat at the end of the day!

Welcome and good luck, as added a friend request so give me a shout :)
  • katemarie4
    katemarie4 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think the best advice is actually making small goals and small changes. If you change everything at once and become super strict on yourself you will eventually burn out and lose the initial motivation. I find it best to remember it is a journey, or a marathon rather than a sprint. Make it a lifestyle and you won't regret it! I'm here for motivation and support any time!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do - never quit. If you fall - get up and just keep going. :flowerforyou:
  • gothisavi
    gothisavi Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    also best way to start of like anything is easy and a bit at a time. start out with 30 min work outs across 5 days a week. from this you will gain the confidence even if it is walking to pick up the pace and go longer and further :)

also if you work try goiing out if you can for your lunchbreak for a stroll or a challenging walk. not only do you feel refreshed from breaking up the day but the calories really help and could be the difference of a cup of tea at the end of the night

try for lunch mug shots pasta snacks as they are low calorie and do help to fill a void and at work if you want stuff to nibble try flavoured crackers and make sure that when you sit down in the office you have at least 2 drinks whether it be a glass of squash and tea or water next to you. not only will this stop you from snacking so much but it will help hydrate you :)
  • TLolo87
    TLolo87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Kalie, added!
    Thanks again for the tips.

I think you're right, having a good support network and many friends will be motivating. Just seeing the exercise report outs on the news part of my app makes me want to show some progress of my own.
  • davidpm
    davidpm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Don't try to change everything in one day. Make small, incremental changes to your routine. Every time I tried to just go crazy and change everything, I ended up getting lost in how to handle it all and I gave up. Small changes and lots of patience!
  • TLolo87
    Options
    Thank you gothisavi! Added as well! I'll take your advice to heart. I know that in the past I have failed because I try to hold myself accountable to goals that feel overwhelming. This time my goals are just to become more active, to make my own food instead of buying so much processed, etc. Basically, I'm hoping healthier goals will translate to a healthier looking bod! Thanks for the friend request!!
  • TLolo87
    Options
    try for lunch mug shots pasta snacks as they are low calorie and do help to fill a void and at work if you want stuff to nibble try flavoured crackers and make sure that when you sit down in the office you have at least 2 drinks whether it be a glass of squash and tea or water next to you. not only will this stop you from snacking so much but it will help hydrate you :)

Exactly the kind of tips I don't know and love to learn! Thanks!
  • TLolo87
    Options
    Whatever you do - never quit. If you fall - get up and just keep going. :flowerforyou:

Simple, sound advice. Thank you as well! Also, beautiful profile pic! Makes me miss California....
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Since you're new....
    here:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

this could help.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I used to wonder why everyone shared this link so often - until I actually read it. The information here is rock solid. I would recommend reading it and following it. Should save you lots of time and frustration if you are new to using MFP.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Edited to say that trog made my post irrelevant - beat me to it by a few seconds.
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Since you're new....
    here:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")

pretty much that.

4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

this could help.

^^^This!^^

*He's a treasure trove of information, take his words to heart!
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'm glad a few others mentioned this. Seems with your stats (26, 200#, 5'4") that perhaps you don't have energy because 1200 cals/day is too little? Use some of the links provided to figure out closer to where you should be eating. I just know if I ate that little, I wouldn't be able to exercise. Welcome, and good luck!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Since you're new....
    here:

14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

this could help.

x1,000
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    This is probably been said...but if your having trouble getting motivated...find something that you like to do..that way it wont be a chore..Zumba, running, Wii games, home DVD's, anything that will work for you..Youll find out after some time that you cant wait to get that activity in!

Any one can feel free to add for motivation or for talk.
  • FrancisFletcher
    Options
    I personally had a problem with not meeting my calorie goals... Sounds strange considering going over is what got me here. But to me seeing all of it laided out made me not want to eat much :P So just keep to goals, this site is GREAT HELP! Good Luck!(:
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Since you're new....
    here:

14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

this could help.

x1,000

Yes, READ the sexypants thread, AND take pictures and measurements! The scale will lie to you many times! Pictures and measurements will show you the true measure of your progress :)
  • kethra
    kethra Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I had problems having enough energy to get active ... until I got active.

I work out in the mornings now for 30min - 1hr depending on the day, and it really helps keep my energy up throughout the day.

So do like people above have said and find something that is fun and interests you (for me it's a variety of Leslie Sansone walk at home videos) and just get started! Or even just take a walk before work. Gotta start somewhere and start small so you can build up and not get discouraged by tackling a huge workout right off the bat.

Feel free to add me if you like. ^_^
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! Typically, your eating is the most important thing. So, in regards to exercise, strength training is great for losing weight and building up definition so that when you start seeing noticeable changes in the mirror, there will be some definition waiting for you. I personally LOVE cardio...I am a triathlete, but cardio isn't for everyone. Lifting isn't either, but I always found lifting to help me lose weight the best.

My biggest tip is to NOT focus on the scale. Always look for non-scale victories; clothes fitting better, more energy, happier, etc. The reason for this is that you will reach various plateaus and times where you will gain weight as well. The reasons for the gains are usually stupid, like you ate too much salty food the night before, or it's a certain time of the month, and many other reasons. Once these things are over, you drop back down. The plateaus typically mean you might need to change up your workout routine.

Mostly importantly, don't expect extreme results right away (weeks 1-3), and then keep in mind that plateaus are common around months 2-3, and usually every 2-3 months after you change up a workout program.

Good luck!