How to start eating clean...

Options
Hello everyone,
My weight has been a constant struggle for years now and I'm soooooooo ready to start eating and living healthy. The problem is that I don't know where to start. For the past several years we have been eating out daily. I might cook at home once a week and it's not healthy either. I'm 33 years old and I have no idea how to cook or what to cook.

I have found several websites and books and recipes, but it's all so overwhelming. I wish there was one resource I could use to get started and then expand from there.

So how did you start with clean eating? Any advise for how I can start without being overwhelmed?

Thank you!

Replies

• novasunflower
    novasunflower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Check out http://www.reddit.com/r/fitmeals
    ....one of my favorite sites for ideas is ohsheglows.com
    ....green smoothies are always an easy way to get lots of nutrients or replace/supplement a meal. Here's a post about prepping a months worth of smoothies in one day--> http://www.allthingsgd.com/2013/02/a-months-worth-of-green-smoothies-only-one-day-of-prep/
    Another thing to look into is using a slow cooker to prepare enough food for several meals and freezing for easy meals later on.
    You can do this! Cooking is a pain to get in the rythm of doing, but once you get it, it can become a fun activity.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Not much of a cook either. I search for whatever I'm craving on the allrecipes.com app. Gradually build your recipe arsenal. You may also need to get rid of ready to eat type foods from your house. I'm not really talking about "bad" foods or trigger foods. I just mean, "hey I'm hungry and there's nothing to eat. Oh look, my hands work , I can cook beans or chicken" etc
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    There is a group for clean eating on here. I'll bet they have lots of recipes and advice. I eat mostly whole foods and avoid stuff like msg. That is clean enough for me, persoanlly. Read up and decide what you think is best, but understand that everyone has their own ideas about what constitutes clean eating. Don't get too caught up in trying to define it.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I don't think what I do is "clean eating" but here it is. When I go to the grocery store I stay on the perimeter of the store because all of the produce and fresh foods are usually on the perimeter. I don't go through the aisles unless it's something specific I need from my list.

My cart is usually 50% produce, 30% meat, 10% dairy, and the other 10% is odds and ends like spices or rice, etc.

When I get home I cut up all my produce and put in baggies so when I'm cooking they're easier to grab and use really quickly. I usually cook some kind of meat and throw random veggies in with a whole wheat pasta or brown rice..

Just the other day I sauteed chicken breast, zucchini, onion, and garlic and squeezed fresh lime juice over it.. served it over some whole wheat spaghetti and it was awesome!
  • tiffanybrooks530
    tiffanybrooks530 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    stock up on:
    frozen: veggies, fruits
    fresh: salad mix bags, bananas, oranges, mix nuts
    protein: either fresh or frozen (chicken breast, lean meat, salmon etc)
    dairy: greek yogurt (try plain) add honey and fresh fruit
    grains/oats: rolled oats (steel cut), whole grain breads, pasta, rice.
    spreads: substitute mayo for avocado, or pesto , evoo, roasted pepper, hummus, olive, or even eggplant spread

you can find most of the above items in every supermarket mostly frozen, fresh, then bottled or bag ( no cans )

I usually shop at stop & shop, Hannaford, price chopper and trader Joe's which supplies a good about of products to transition to clean eating.

Take small steps every week swap out something new
  • RainbowSmiles123
    RainbowSmiles123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started slow with clean eating. I still have white four and white sugar. Just not too often. Maybe like once or twice a month. I have cut out all prepackaged food and fast food. I do not eat anything containing GMO's. It took about 6 months for my family to make the switch. Good Luck on your journey.

100 days of Real Food and My Whole Food Life are 2 sites that I like and use for recipe ideas.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the obvious stuff first. Anything that is classified as a "snack food" or "junk food".
  • Thisiswhatido
    Options
    If you really want to keep it simple, then do so.

Buy a food scale. I use this one, but you don't need to. It has a max 11lb capacity and 1g gram accuracy. http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394039770&sr=8-1&keywords=food+scale

Bake or boil chicken (in parts, drumsticks, breast, thigh, cook faster than whole.) I usually take all the meat off the bones and save the bones for bone broth, which I tend use to make measured chicken soup with basmati rice. If you're baking get yourself a quick read thermometer so you can check the temp to make sure your meat is cooked thoroughly.

Cook some kind of basmati rice. Try not to buy anything that's overly processed or enriched. Soak rice for 30 minutes prior to cooking (rinse if you like, but don't over rinse, some sources say whatever vitamins and minerals in the rice which is not much to begin with are leached out by water) Use a 2 to 1 ratio with water and boil until the water evaporates, about 25-30 minutes OR buy a rice cooker.

Pick 5-6 servings from this pdf http://www.eat-real-food-paleodietitian.com/support-files/Paleo-FODMAP-food-list.pdf that you can eat daily, and buy them. I recommend at least two or three of those been leafy greens or greens. I do a kale, spinach, chard mix from costco and celery. I then eat 2 fruits. As you may have noticed by now, I'm on a FODMAPs friendly diet, if you constantly feel bloating and stomach discomfort, this will help. I usually split my veggies and fruits into two servings, I eat one in the morning and the other later in the day.

Protein powders, find a clean protein powder. I do a 70/30 gemma pea/rice powder with some rice milk every morning along with my veggies and fruits.

Make your own rice milk, cook the same basmati rice with a 1 to 1 ratio of water, soak it 30 minutes as well. Boil until the water evaporates. 2 cups of uncooked rice makes for 1 gallon total. I have a 8 cup blender, I put in half the rice by weight and fill it to the 8 cup mark, and blend for a good 5 minutes. Then I pour into a gallon and repeat with the other batch. If you like some flavoring, I usually put on clove and a tiny piece of cinnamon stick. about inch long 1/4 inch wide with each half gallon.

Don't forget the salt! Eating clean usually doesn't provide you with enough sodium. This was my problem and I experienced really bad effects. Once I added enough salt to my broth and other foods, I was good too go. However, this will require a more accurate scale. This is a very critical item as it will be affected by how much water you are drinking and whether you have some heart conditions.

I know this diet seems very bland, lots of rice and some meats and veggies/fruits, but when you look at the macro nutrients it's a very well balanced diet. In my case it's a bit high on protein, but you can just substitute with more veggies and not as many fruits.

If you want to learn more about nutrition there's a few course on cousera being offered from UCSF. It's actually really good presentation of information and they go over the math.
    If you'd like I can also help you calculate your calorie target intake for weight loss as well as macro nutrients.

Measure takes all the guess work out of what you're eating. It's also easier to measure food you prepare than eating out, so it encourages you to prepare your own food.
  • onebookwonder
    onebookwonder Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been eating clean for about two weeks now, but I haven't incorporated exercise into my daily routine yet. In spite of the lack of exercise, I'm down 10.5 lbs just by eating nutritously and eating it in the right combinations. As I was searching for a book to read on my Kindle app, I came across a book by Alisa Vitti called, "Woman Code". After reading the first few chapters, I decided that living a natural lifestyle (eating and using organic products) was ESSENTIAL if I wanted to reduce the probabilities of ending up with all the illnesses my genetic code exposes me to; specifically, heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. I can't say enough about everything that I'm learning, especially HOW to eat. Since I can't afford my heart's desire when buying organic groceries, I have to limit myself to a few staple items, so it's been fun learning and putting it all into practice. The nice thing about the "code" is that you don't have to do a lot of fancy organic cooking, but you can if you want to.

Upon reading the book, you'd find that the code encourages you to eat a good protein with a carb for breakfast (i.e. egg/toast or oatmeal/milk) but limit your carbs at breakfast to 30 - 50 grams (depending on whether you're a slow or fast burner). Then, for lunch, you eat the majority of your carbs for the day there (i.e. rice, pasta, potato, etc). A few hours later, you should have a protein snack (i.e. apple/peanut butter), and then at dinner, little to no carbs, which means you're basically eating protein with veggies and/or fruit. The reason for this method is to control your glucose throughout the day and prevent it from going out of whack which leads to sugar cravings. This method has been immensely helpful to me. I'm still reading the book, so I'm not done yet. The book has so much more information to offer than I could write here, but My Fitness Pal has been super helpful in making sure I don't exceed the daily recommended limits for calories, carbs, sodium, and sugar.

The next thing I need to work on is doing the work out schedule she recommends which is only 20 minutes each day, 5 days a week, alternating days between a walk/jog and weights. The duration will eventually increase in time, but to start out, 20 minutes a day is all that's needed. I decided to start taking an organic cinnamon supplement I bought at the Vitamin Shoppe because it helps control your glucose which eliminates cravings for sugary foods (one of my weaknesses). You can also just add cinnamon to your daily dishes, but since I'm not the best cook, I wouldn't possibly know how to add cinnamon to all the meals I eat....essentially why it's just easier for me to take a capsule of organic cinnamon. I only take it at dinner, and I find it really does curb my night-time munchie cravings.

While this method seemed complicated in beginning, it's actually very simple once you know what you should and shouldn't combine. Organic raw veggies, fruit, 3-4 oz of protein (mainly chicken or fish), whole grain everything, and some dairy pretty much fills my menus these days. :) Good luck!
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    My weight has been a constant struggle for years now and I'm soooooooo ready to start eating and living healthy. The problem is that I don't know where to start. For the past several years we have been eating out daily. I might cook at home once a week and it's not healthy either. I'm 33 years old and I have no idea how to cook or what to cook.

I have found several websites and books and recipes, but it's all so overwhelming. I wish there was one resource I could use to get started and then expand from there.

So how did you start with clean eating? Any advise for how I can start without being overwhelmed?

Thank you!

Well here is the easiest way. Don't buy processed foods. That's it.

You need to cook for yourself, fresh foods. When you buy meat, buy it from a place you know they don't use hormones and the animals are sourced locally - Wholefoods, Trader Joes, etc.

I mean people make this a lot harder than it needs to be. But its not cheap. Its a lot cheaper to eat stuff like mac n cheese in the box, frozen foods. But I make everything from scratch. It really doesn't take that much more time to cook. I precook stuff for the week. Saves a lot of time.

IT doesn't require a perfect spread to do this right. Simple meals with simple ingredients. I make things like:

Baked chicken with zuccini and peppers
    Almond Flour Pork Chops with fresh spinach salad (tomatoes, green onions, peppers, capers, little red wine vinager)
    steak with kale and mushrooms
    fresh broccoli soup (easiest thing ever and tastes amazing)
    leek/collaflower soup
    beef stew/chicken stew/lamb and ewwing stew

breakfast, eggs with bacon, cashew/almond fl pancakes with fresh blueberries, sauteed tomatos/mushrooms with ricotta cheese on fresh bread

snacks - a little cheese, handful of nuts, a peice of fruit, left overs

dessert - I make all sorts of baked goods mostly gluten free - almond flour scones, coconut flour cake, maccaroons, af muffins, tarts, even made my own icecream...fatbombs..

all this stuff is easy to make...cheap and feeds you all week.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Tosca Reno has a few good Clean Eating books. I used those when my husband and I started losing weight. He lost 100 pounds and I lost 30 using most of the guidelines in her books.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I eat clean and have a ton of foods and recipes. You can add me if you like.

How to start? Simple, buy whole raw foods and cook meals at home.
  • brcott82
    brcott82 Posts: 1
    Options
    The way I started was buy finding recipes I thought would be good for dinner through out the week, then I figured out lunches breakfasts and snacks and made my grocery list from that. I didn't buy anything other than what I needed to make those specific meals. It helped a lot to have the list and how much of something I needed that way I wasn't buying too many fresh fruits and veggies only for them to go bad before we had a chance to eat them. It also helped to know that any snack I pull out to munch on is a healthy on. For the next week take an inventory of the food you still have (brown rice, pasta, snack stuff, condiments) and pick new recipes and make your list off of what you need for them. Its really not too hard once you start. And don't try too hard to give up recipes you love just because they are high in calories, just alter them. instead of buying cream of mushroom soup opt for the low fat low sodium one, same goes for soy sauce. Like I hate mustard so I don't put it on my sammys I still use mayo but I get the light one which is like 55 calories less a serving. After a few weeks it will just become so easy you will wonder why you didn't start sooner