I hate plain water. So sue me.

Options
I really try to drink plain water. When I'm working out, it's totally easy. But any other time? No thanks. I usually add lemon, or even those calorie free, sugar free waters.. but I know they have artificial sugar so that's no help.

Anything you've been sucessful with?

Replies

• mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If you're not personally having problems with the artificial sweeteners, they've never conclusively been shown to have ill effects so I'd just stick with those if it keeps you hydrated.

Edit: or herbal teas, green teas (stuff lower in caffeine, as caffeine is a mild dieuretic so you don't want to take lots of it in when drinking) can help for fluid.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I drink herbal tea without sugar and count it as water.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink water. I mostly drink tea and coffee and that seems to be alright for me. If you don't feel thirsty, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256
  • ElectricDame
    Options
    If you're not personally having problems with the artificial sweeteners, they've never conclusively been shown to have ill effects so I'd just stick with those if it keeps you hydrated.

Edit: or herbal teas, green teas (stuff lower in caffeine, as caffeine is a mild dieuretic so you don't want to take lots of it in when drinking) can help for fluid.

I like the no carb, no calorie, no real sugar waters.. but the Husband gets on me about drinking them, saying they are terrible for me. I'd rather drink that than drink a bunch of calories from Gatorade and things like that.
  • Trying2Recover
    Options
    suck up to it :P

drink plain water for long enough, you'll get used to it. have you tried drinking it ice cold?
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

I like the no carb, no calorie, no real sugar waters.. but the Husband gets on me about drinking them, saying they are terrible for me. I'd rather drink that than drink a bunch of calories from Gatorade and things like that.

Your husband is wrong. Next time he says they are terrible, ask for a scientific study supporting his case that doesn't include 1000x the recommended dosage to a mouse.
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am with you!!! I hate drinking it and I hate that I pee constantly when I do (sorry)...

I almost always add lemon to it. Or fruit infused water :) so good but I do not count the fruit or sugars from it so maybe that is bad....

Also, anytime we eat out I order water and if I am having an adult beverage I always get a water with it - helps some.
  • huneydrop
    huneydrop Posts: 84
    Options
    Have you thought about adding a britta filter to your tap? Or, what I do, is buy Evian and Fiji water. I don't see it as any different than people with starbucks habit, I just buy water instead. To me they taste better.
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    I often put a slice of cucumber in my water. It removes the chlorine flavor associated with tap water, and it seems to give it a crisp, clean flavor.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I love water but In the winter I get so cold I want something warm to drink so I warm up a mug of water and put some lemon juice in it.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love water, but if it's not your thing and you want something more natural, try infusing water with things other than lemon (orange, cucumber, raspberries, to name a few). Herbal teas are a great option as well, as there are so many combinations of flavours out there now, or make hot cocoa with water instead of milk (you can do this with smoothies too).
  • KrispyNoodles
    KrispyNoodles Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't care for tap water either, but that's because it tastes awful where we live. I grew up on a farm where we had well water. That was awesome water. But our city water tastes like crap - almost like lake water. Yuck. I add fresh lemon or lime juice to my water to make it drinkable.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I 'hate' water too, unless I'm in the middle of a 600 calorie burning workout. Now, I have some medical issues (too much calcium, mostly) and have been ordered to drink a lot of water. Ugh.
    I tried some sobe happy berry?/pomegranate water and was curious as to what happy berries were, haha, and looked at the label. Come to find out, there isn't even pomegranate juice in it. The red coloring comes from beetles. Yum. As far as the happy berries or whatever, they weren't listed either. No surprise there!
    I'm still trying to like water and may try some teas, but I'll still have to use sweeteners. Today I'm buying some frozen peaches to add to home brewed green tea. Hopefully I like it. :)
    A hot tea that I love is green tea brewed with frozen blueberries and honey. I use my keurig, stuff a green tea bag in the refillable coffee holder thingy, and have it brew into a cup with the frozen berries and honey already in it. I'll have to try it cooled, with ice.
    I hope you have an easier time than I've had with it. Good luck!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I love water, but during those times I don't want it, I don't drink it. Drink whatever beverage suits you. Just remember to log it, if it has calories.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I only like it when it's ice cold..just make sure you get enough fluids.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    suck up to it :P

drink plain water for long enough, you'll get used to it. have you tried drinking it ice cold?

You really do get used to it... And the more you drink, the less you crave sugary drinks. At least that's how it worked for me.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Just add the sweetener stuff. If you really want to drink plain water, then gradually decrease the amount you put in, until there's none left, but I don't see why. The body is quite good at filtering out all that stuff anyway and getting the water it needs. It'll get it from fruits and vegetables too. There isn't any proven harm to sweeteners, for most people, and tons of studies have tried. If you add lemon you even get some vitamin C.
  • bassclef19
    bassclef19 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I like adding fruit like cucumber, lemon or strawberries.
    Real fruit is better than those fake sugar water sweeteners.
  • tealgrove
    tealgrove Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Try filtered water nice and cold. Add a squeeze of lemon juice. I HATE PLAIN WATER, but this has done the trick for me.
  • SummerRain43
    Options
    I can't choke down a bottle of water either unless it has those flavours in it like Mio etc......you're not alone!!!!