Apple cider vinegar

Options

Replies

• Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    BUMP. I heard it helps with stomach issues and I occasionally have them, so maybe I'll try it for that.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I was drinking it about a month ago and actually did drop some weight rather quickly. I need to start drinking it again. Maybe I'll try it with honey. The taste is hard for me but it seems to have worked.
  • blueandigo
    blueandigo Posts: 296
    Options
    Just the regular stuff you can buy in the grocery store?
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Whenever these types of things come up I have to wonder how they would possibly work?

Losing weight = reduction in net input, either by reducing said input or increasing the burn of that input or both...

Where does this fit in? Does it reduce appetite maybe?
  • alisonwww
    alisonwww Posts: 104
    Options
    I had to get off this awful medicine for hearburn (omerprazole [prilosec]) because I know it made me gain alot of weight this past year, and is totally prohibiting the ability to lose any of it. My dr. said it wasn't, so I got rid of her, and my new dr. does not like this stuff at all and has advised me to just use an antacid "as needed' not to take a pill everyday to stop the production of stomach acid altogether. I've also given up alot of the foods & drinks that help to cause it and I'm doing pretty well ( I lost 11 lbs the 1st 2 weeks off this crap!).

One of the natural remedies for hearburn that I saw during my research was to also take apple cider vinegar in the a.m. I bought the vinegar, I just haven't had the nerve to drink it yet. I'm thinking I'm going to try it tomorrow.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    There appear to be a number of possible health benefits with ACV.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar?page=2

<snip>
    Diabetes. The effect of vinegar on blood sugar levels is perhaps the best-researched and the most promising of apple cider vinegar's possible health benefits. Several studies have found that vinegar may help lower glucose levels. For instance, one 2007 study of 11 people with type 2 diabetes found that taking two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before bed lowered glucose levels in the morning by 4%-6%.
    High cholesterol . A 2006 study showed evidence that vinegar could lower cholesterol. However, the study was done in rats, so it's too early to know how it might work in people.
    Blood pressureand heart health. Another study in rats found that vinegar could lower high blood pressure. A large observational study also found that people who ate oil and vinegar dressing on salads five to six times a week had lower rates of heart disease than people who didn't. However, it's far from clear that the vinegar was the reason.
    Cancer . A few laboratory studies have found that vinegar may be able to kill cancer cells or slow their growth. Observational studies of people have been confusing. One found that eating vinegar was associated with a decreased risk of esophageal cancer. Another associated it with an increased risk of bladder cancer.
    Weight Loss . For thousands of years, vinegar has been used for weight loss. White vinegar (and perhaps other types) might help people feel full. A 2005 study of 12 people found that those who ate a piece of bread along with small amounts of white vinegar felt fuller and more satisfied than those who just ate the bread.

While the results of these studies are promising, they are all preliminary. Many were done on animals or on cells in a lab. The human studies have been small. Before we will truly know whether vinegar has any health benefits, much larger studies are needed.
    <snip>

For those interested, there are ACV capsules available.

This appears to be a bunch of baloney. Nobody does a study with 11 or 12 people. and. the person who posted this has deleted their account!
  • imtriagain
    imtriagain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I stumbled across this as a possible weightloss use after googling home rededies for blocked sinuses. I did try it a few months ago, but didn't find it made a different. Fast forward to the past week, and I've been taking 2 tbsnp in water 3 x a day for sinus (unsure if it helps or not - but at least hte placebo effect makes me feel better if nothing else!) and my weight surprisingly dropped in the past week. Who knows!
  • tracymarie2012
    tracymarie2012 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have taken 2 tsps in hot water a couple times a day when I end up getting 'Gout' from eating red meat, it helps get rid of the pain...apparently it breaks down the uric acid in ones system.
    I find it easier to not eat the red meat, then remember to just take the ACV regular...must get back to it...see if it helps with the weight loss.
  • mmaulguet
    Options
    I drink a glass of warm water with a dash of fresh lemon juice in it every morning and sometimes in the evening before bed. I am currently seeing a naturopath for a detox and she recommended I do this every morning to get me going. It's very refeshing and pleasant to drink too.:drinker:
  • ThatCindyGirl
    Options
    PLEASE never take ACV without diluting it. It is an acid and it WILL cause damage to your insides if not taken appropriately even as healthy as it is for you. I have been drinking ACV for two years almost consistently in all of the water I drink. My son contacted staph while working with children doing missions work one summer and I contacted it through him. I did some research and found that ACV keeps the staph virus at bay. Amazingly so! Not to mention all the other billion health benefits. I drink Braggs raw unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother. And they have a complete line of other drinks/supplements. I greatly encourage their product. And never go above the recommended daily dosage.

That being said, as far as drinking ACV for detox, I have read many opinions on drinking these types of things while doing serious workouts to lose weight. It is not encouraged. They say to detox for 15 days before you begin a serious regimen but never combine the two. I found out the hard way. I did the lemon ginger detox drink right after I began my rigorous exercise regimes and got very sick. Everything in moderation. But definitely do the research.
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It's helping with my sore throat & congestion. 1 Tblsp each honey & Braggs ACV with the mother and a cup of warm water & I'm good for the day. I just took one now w/o honey b/c I'm out of calories but needed relief from a cough keeping me awake, no more cough. :)
  • Dnovell
    Dnovell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Braggs raw unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother for about 3 months just because of the wonderful health benefits. Recently, I finally got my husband to try it for his GERD and now he doesn't have to take any reflux meds (thank goodness). We both take 2 tablespoons of Braggs raw unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother with 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and a cup of water twice a day. It's amazing stuff! Good health to all who takes ACV!
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    PLEASE never take ACV without diluting it. It is an acid and it WILL cause damage to your insides if not taken appropriately even as healthy as it is for you. I have been drinking ACV for two years almost consistently in all of the water I drink. My son contacted staph while working with children doing missions work one summer and I contacted it through him. I did some research and found that ACV keeps the staph virus at bay. Amazingly so! Not to mention all the other billion health benefits. I drink Braggs raw unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother. And they have a complete line of other drinks/supplements. I greatly encourage their product. And never go above the recommended daily dosage.

That being said, as far as drinking ACV for detox, I have read many opinions on drinking these types of things while doing serious workouts to lose weight. It is not encouraged. They say to detox for 15 days before you begin a serious regimen but never combine the two. I found out the hard way. I did the lemon ginger detox drink right after I began my rigorous exercise regimes and got very sick. Everything in moderation. But definitely do the research.

really?

pH is between 4 and 5 undiluted. Your stomach is closer to a pH of 2. What part of your "insides" is this going to be destroying?

e.g. wine and beer have a lower pH than ACV.
  • Gakurushiro
    Options
    Hi i take Apple cinder vineger ,two tablespoon per Day but only with homemade Grapefruit juice.i Heard that both Workshop Great together but only if your not in any Meditation.
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I swear that drinking 2 tbsp mixed with 8 oz of water kept me from coming Dow with strep throat. I find it helps regulate my daily BM and keeps my stomach feeling full. As for weight loss I am not sure as I et at a deficit now ( and exercise regularly)
  • xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I used it for a month (drink it in an empty stomach and before bed) and I achieved really good results on weight loss. I was losing weight at a higher rate and it also stopped my cravings. Even my skin looked so much better. However, I stopped it for two weeks to see if it was really the vinegar to affect the weight loss. The weight loss rate slowed down even if I was eating the same calories as before. I am back at drinking vinegar, for sure. I drink two tbsp diluted with a glass of water. Hope it helps :)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    ZOMBIE THREAD back from the dead. Born 2012. Died 2012. Reborn 2014.
  • hippikris
    hippikris Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I drink it for like a week on and then a week off, I cook with ACV all the time too. I statred doing a table spoon in the morning. and then a table spoon with a bit of honey and cayanne pepper. it seems to help a little. to make me feel less hungry, anyway. good luck
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you dilute it well. That stuff will dissolve the enamel from your teeth, not to mention what it will do to your organs.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar works for me, but not for weight loss. Several years ago, I had a terrible sinus infection on New Year's Eve. I looked up homeopathic treatments online, and found numerous articles suggesting taking "shots" of apple cider vinegar for treatment. It worked like a charm!

A few weeks later, while visiting my doctor, I mentioned this to her. She said apple cider vinegar was not only a viable treatment for sinus infection, but it was good for overall health. She suggested I start taking it daily in tablet form. This was welcome news, as drinking the stuff is not my idea of fun.

I have taken one tablet every day for years now. I went from having about four terrible sinus infections/year to never having one again. I recommend it to all of my friends.