carbs

Do people avoid carbs after a certain time of day.? Or is this a myth ?

Replies

• thevoice1973
    thevoice1973 Posts: 55 Member
    Myth! Maybe another way of looking at it is this: what exactly would happen if you ate carbs after a certain time of day? If you can't find quantitative data that would explain how this is a bad thing, then is it really a bad thing?
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    that is a pandora's box question....

I will answer only by saying that I have successfully cut weight and bodyfat by limiting carbs after 5pm. so for me, it is not a myth...
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Myth. I do try to avoid high carb, low protien right before bed only because sometimes it makes me so hungry that I have to eat in the middle of the night. But that's just me.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Myth for sure.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    bump.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    OP answer to your first question...yes. Do I, no. Is it a myth people actually do this? People actually do it, so no it is not a myth. Does it make sense? No.
  • busbyus
    busbyus Posts: 36 Member
    Try to have all my carbs early normally but today everything went pear shaped and have jusr eaten dinner now. 7pm Wont go to bed till about 9 30 ish so might do a bit extra cardio :) as feeling guilty but glad its a myth tho !
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    myth there is no peer reviewed scientific study that can show anything diet related is true other than consuming less calories than you burn is how you lose weight. Exercise allows you to consume more in the equation
    lots of snake oil though for the rest of the industry

BTW most days I have a small bag of almost pure carbs (Popcorn) late in the day and I average a little over 2 pounds a week loss (20 pounds since Jan 3rd as of today)
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    The complexity of the answer lies in the fact that most people have an opinion about it that directly affects what they will tell you is "truth"

Personal opinion from me and only me:
    Carbs at noon. Carbs at dinner. Carbs at 3am….The time doesn't mean a thing.
    I always want carbs.
    If I give in and eat as much as I want, as often as I want, I end up gaining a few pounds. It's just a slippery slope for me.
    By changing my macros and upping the amount of protein I eat and lowering the amount of carbs I eat, I had a much easier time making this all work.
    Eat what you love, what feels good for your body, whatever time of day you are actually hungry.
    Eat it in controlled portions that will fit into your numbers and allow you to have calorie deficit.
    The weird rules you create for yourself can either help you or hurt you depending on your mindset and determination to be fit :smile:
  • busbyus
    busbyus Posts: 36 Member
    OP answer to your first question...yes. Do I, no. Is it a myth people actually do this? People actually do it, so no it is not a myth. Does it make sense? No.

this is confusing lol

but I get it eat whenever but obviously controlled calories ... :) thanks everyone
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    It's a myth. People do it, but people do all sorts of weird things that have no basis in evidence.

I eat about 50% of my calories, sometimes more, at dinner, which I usually eat between 8 and 9 pm. I've lost over 50 lb.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    I eat a crazy amount of carbs right before bed like, generally less than an hour before. I say it's a myth. Just worry about calories in vs it for weight loss and getting a decent amount of nutrient dense foods in for health. No need to feel guilty or worry about things you don't have to
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I'll be partaking in roughly 51 grams of carbs shortly before bed tonight. That's a pretty typical night for me...whatever carb/starch I'm having with dinner and my dark chocolate for desert. I'll also be taking in roughly 58 grams of protein and 30 grams of fat...and just over 700 calories. Again, pretty typical...and I've pretty easily lost 40 Lbs.