Marathoners! I Got A Question!!!

Options
I REALLY want to do a marathon, and I was wondering if a year is long enough to really condition for a marathon. I'm very afraid to start training, because I know a marathon is hard on the body. If I want to make a 5 hour 30 minute marathon, do you think a year is long enough?

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I just started running not too long ago, but Runner's mag said that you should have a year of running under your belt before doing a marathon. But I think it all depends. I did an 8k on Sunday and had to walk part of it, but my husband who runs less than me did the whole thing in 48 mins. He used to run in HS for soccer. I think he is going to try and do 1/2 in March. So it kinda depends on how the body responds. (mine is slllloooooowwwww) :)
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    A year is definitely long enough. I encourage you though to find a team to do this with. The hardest part of a marathon is the training. The marathon is a celebration of all the hard work you put in to the training. Having a team with a coach will help keep you on track and give you the support to keep going. I highly recommend Team In Training through the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society or find a local running club. Plus, your first marathon should not focus on time, just finishing. I hope this helps
    Risa
  • brittmb
    brittmb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A year is definitely long enough, especially if you have any kind of fitness background. I did my first two marathons this year. I agree with the person above who suggested finding a team to run with. I found one through a local running store, but you can also get basically free training and a coach if you sign up to run for a charity (check out your local Team in Training).

I would also recommend checking out www.halhigdon.com. Hal is considered one of the experts on marathon running in the country. Jeff Galloway is another top guy, who encourages a run/walk plan. (Just google him, I can't remember the website).

Best of luck! There is nothing like crossing the finish line of a marathon. I start training for my third right after Christmas!
  • princesspurple
    Options
    Long enough! I started running in January and completed my 1st marathon in November of this year:)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Like already said, plenty long enough. Good luck & go for it!
  • loverunning11
    loverunning11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    A year is definitely long enough. My husband and I only trained for 3 months before our first marathon, although we did do 2 rounds of Insanity before our marathon training, and ran it in 5:07:17. Go for it, girl! :) My suggestion to you is to gradually increase the miles and listen to your body, if it is telling you to rest...do so, and missing a day or 2 of short run training won't really hurt you in the long run. Just make sure you get all of your long runs in! Good luck!
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I ran my first marathon a little over a year after I ran my first 5k. It is very doable. But focus on listening to your body and not so much on time. Crossing the finish line is so rewarding and so is getting that finisher medal around your neck. Good luck! You can do it!!!
  • thatklutzychick
    thatklutzychick Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A year should have you good to go. I'm training for my first half marathon using an 8 week program and half way in, I'm feeling pretty good. I'm not shooting to have an insane time, but I feel confident I won't have to walk any portion of it.

I want to do my first marathon almost exactly a year from now, but I'm leading up to it by doing three half marathons, two sprint distance triathlons and an Olympic distance tri. It sounds like a lot, but one race every other month is great motivation to keep training. I found when I have too much time in between races, I get lazy. Not to mention, I feel like the constant training will have me ready to go come December 2011! I'd like to add that before October, I'd never raced in anything, but completed my first sprint triathlon.

I've been working with my cousin who's a physical trainer to make sure I'm taking care of my body properly. If you're not much of an athlete now, make sure to find out as much information as possible to make sure you have proper nutrition and don't injure yourself during your training. I know it saved my lazy *kitten*, especially in the beginning when I had no clue what I was doing.

Also, get a training plan. Here's one I found that sounds reasonable: http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/novices.html
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everybody!!! That helps me with my confidence in myself. I don't think in my head that I can do it, because it's so far. But I'm gonna try my damndest! Thanks!