net calories

Options
I joined mfp in october and have only managed to lose 8 lbs and I'm pretty disappointed about it.

Could it be anything to do with the Net Calories a day. I usually burn between 500 and 700 a day and still stick to my calories guide. But my net calories are between 900 and 1100 cals per day.

What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    From what I've gathered from other posts about this subject, you need to make sure that your NET calorie amount is at least 1200 a day because you need 1200 minimum to function. If you go below that, your body holds onto everything you eat and you don't lose weight and you might even gain some.

I was confused about this too, and I had been eating way less than I was supposed to be eating, and now I just make sure I'm over 1200 NET and I've been losing pretty steadily.

Hope that helps!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I joined mfp in october and have only managed to lose 8 lbs and I'm pretty disappointed about it.

Could it be anything to do with the Net Calories a day. I usually burn between 500 and 700 a day and still stick to my calories guide. But my net calories are between 900 and 1100 cals per day.

What am I doing wrong?
    Sounds like you're not eating enough to fuel your body and perhaps it's now hanging onto the weight instead of letting go of it. Perhaps try eating back some of your workout cals and see how that works. When you join up MFP already sets you at a deficit of 500 (1 lb. loss per week) or 1000 (2 lbs. per week) depending on which choice you make.

So by burning off all the cals you leave your body with little to work with for fueling not just your exercise but simple everyday movements.

It's certainly worth a shot to:wink:
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    If you have consistently eaten below 1200 calories since October, they I can assume your body is in starvation mode, and what the body does, is hold on to the little food it does get and stores it as fat....

You need to increase your calories, don't eat less than 1200 calories daily....

Ensure you are drinking enough water

Ensure you keep track of your sodium, shouldn't be more than 2500mg daily.....best to stay around 1500mg daily...

Goodluck......
  • kathyrpa
    Options
    I would go with the advice, I havent been eating my exercise calories either and havent lost much like I thought I would... I do the stationary bike for 60 min and burn 700 cal.. my cal is 1200 so I wasnt eating enough... so today my cal total said 1,975 Ive eatien 1,487 so far... Im full but didnt go over carbs or fats.. a little over on the protein it says.. but I'll its worth a try... keep posting so we can see and I'll do the same!

dont give up
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again'

Page 1 has some very useful links to read pertaining to this very topic, it might help to take a look and understand why your weight is stalled.:flowerforyou:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I agree completely here. I've been on MFP for over a month now. My weight has pretty much stayed the same - it fluctuates. I have been given 1200 but I try to go over by a little each day. It's really hard to do when you're eating healthy and exercising. I had a huge salad today. I couldn't even finish it and it was only about 250 calories - this was with dressing!
  • juday3
    juday3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I usually burn between 500 and 700 a day and still stick to my calories guide. But my net calories are between 900 and 1100 cals per day.

What am I doing wrong?

I had been on a plateau for a while and realized that my NET calories were low, about 500 - 800 a day (from working out and not eating my exercise calories). This past week I made sure that my NET calories were around 1200 daily and I lost 2 lbs. Try eating your exercise calories and keep your NET calories around or above 1200. Best of Luck
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I've just checked out a few of those links and It makes sense that your body needs a certain amount of calories to survive, as I always do at least 50 mins a day of exercise and don't have a terrible diet (vegetarian for 16 years and now I eat some fish and meat) I guess I am not having enough and that empty feeling even after a meal isn't so good after all.

I will try and eat at least 1200 cals net every day for the next month to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for your responses.
  • loxleys
    Options
    Going to fill up on calories now - a late night cheese sandwich! mmmm
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    I just want to point out, that while I agree with all the above posters, 8 pounds in 2 months isn't unacceptable either. It may be slower than we want to lose weight, but 1-2 pounds a week is perfectly acceptable and healthy. :-)

Beyond that statement, like I said, I agree that you need to feed yourself more. :-)
  • Elaine_NZ
    Options
    great info thanks
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,652 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out, that while I agree with all the above posters, 8 pounds in 2 months isn't unacceptable either. It may be slower than we want to lose weight, but 1-2 pounds a week is perfectly acceptable and healthy. :-)

Beyond that statement, like I said, I agree that you need to feed yourself more. :-)

What she said.
  • loxleys
    Options
    well since the above posts - i've been eating at least 1200 net calories, but have been out for a few pre christmas parties and have had lots of alcohol:drinker:
    Today was the first day of no snow on the ground, so I ran home and it felt good. I'm drinking lots of water so hopefully before my weigh in day on friday I might lose the alcohol lbs!!:laugh: