Can handle cuttin the calories but OMG motivation to exercis

Options
:noway:

I have a nice gym membersip that is reasonably priced, hours are great, facility well equipped. Now this would work in my favor if i could just GET THERE!! ~Blaahhh *No energy.

Replies

• thatklutzychick
    thatklutzychick Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Find a friend (or a couple of friends) to go with you on specific days and times. I hate working out in the mornings, but it's the only time I have to go. I have one friend I work out with on Tuesdays and Thursdays and another one who goes with me on Wednesdays and the occasional Friday. It's like making plans to grab some beers, but a lot better for you. :laugh: You can do it!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Maybe the gym just isn't for you. Have you tried wo.rking out, just around your neighborhood....I have had gym memberships in the past, never fully committed to going fully.

Once I started working out outdoors, I found I preferred that a whole lot more.

Once you find something you love, you will make the time and make it work.

Goodluck
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    think of it as getting out of the house...at least that's what motivated me...grab your ipod full of "gym music"...also the minute i got home i changed into my gym strip...no excuses when you're already dressed lol also i gave my self ultimatums...if i didn't go to the gym, then i would have to do Insanity, and really who wants to do that, so I'd go to the gym
  • Bzbear2
    Bzbear2 Posts: 109
    Options
    what about "earning" your calories!? that's motivation for me!!!!!

but i agree with the "if you hate the gym" comment. there are SO many other options! Maybe try some other stuff? wii? jogging? winter sports? swimming? whatever suits you!!!

I just make sure i do something 6 days a week - regardless if it's a dvd, brisk walking, sledding with friends...
  • tymomrn
    Options
    Try Wii Active if you're more comfortable at home. Love it-especially the "more workouts". But when I hit the gym, I really need my Ipod! I go into my own little world and forget about how many people may be staring at me bouncing on the ellyptical! Once you get into a groove, it's hard to break.
  • francesstewart1
    Options
    OK you need the 10 minute rule ... Tell yourself you'll go for 10 minutes only - if you stil dont feel like it after 10 minutes then sweet leave and don't feel guilty. It works for me, I have hardly ever left and usually feel awhole lot better afterwards. Good luck:smile:
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    it's so HARD to get moving, isn't it? I sympathize completely. try coming up with a small goal that you're reasonably sure you can meet. for example, decide you'll go two times a week for X amount of time for a few weeks, no excuses. then build from there. it can take a while to build something into a routine and get used to doing it on a regular basis. but it really feels pretty swell when you look back and say, hey, it's becoming a habit!
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    i work out 4-5 times a week and if i would watch what i ate better i would lose alot more and faster but thats not my intention. so i am happy, i workout at home to turbo fire its a good stress reliever and i do it because its that feeling of achomplishement (for me anyway). but i work out because i like it not because your supposed to.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I love getting dressed to go to the gym. I feel good in my workout clothes. But then I can't seem to get out the door.. I keep delaying it until I'm like, "Ehh.. It's too late to go now.. I'll do it tomorrow.." Press repeat.

But I've found that I can trick myself in saying, "I'm just going to go sit in the parking lot.. That's easy." And if I can make it to the parking lot, I can tell myself, "What? So you drive here for nothing? Go warm up for 10 minutes and if you are still unmotivated, then go home because that's a poor attitude." A warm-up usually ends up being an hour of worthwhile exercise.

I just need time.. Semester is over for a month starting next Friday! I'm hoping to kick butt before break is over. Sleeping more would help.. I never sleep enough, which sucks every drop of motivation out of me and replaces it with laziness.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    OK you need the 10 minute rule ... Tell yourself you'll go for 10 minutes only - if you stil dont feel like it after 10 minutes then sweet leave and don't feel guilty. It works for me, I have hardly ever left and usually feel awhole lot better afterwards. Good luck:smile:

that's an awesome one...because it's true, if you don't make it after the 10 minutes then you really don't want to be there...but if you are feeling awesome after 10 minutes, next thing you know you've burned more calories than ever...and at least in those 10 minutes you did SOMETHING...i'm going to use this rule too
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

that's an awesome one...because it's true, if you don't make it after the 10 minutes then you really don't want to be there...but if you are feeling awesome after 10 minutes, next thing you know you've burned more calories than ever...and at least in those 10 minutes you did SOMETHING...i'm going to use this rule too

Great minds think alike.. I started to write my reply and walked away for a few minutes, only to post it and find someone else is doing the ten-minute-commitment too. :)

But yes, it's a great rule. Beginning is the hardest part, and 10 minutes gets you past that.
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    JUST GO
  • Pedro_Infante
    Pedro_Infante Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The hardest part of working out is showing up. Eveyone has offered you great ideas. But if you still need some *kitten* moving motivation, send me 5 dollars everytime you don't feel motivated to go. What? Not going for that idea? How about a huge calendar in your house marking each day worked out. We're just looking for things to motivate us until it becomes a habit.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I go directly after work. I do not go home in between. Once I get home that is when I decide I just don't feel like going. Also maybe sign up for a class ahead of time and commit to going.