Will lifting make fat pooch out???

Options
Ok. So I have a little dilemma and am having second thoughts. Previously I did strong lifts and then I kinda stopped. I focused mainly on cardio. However on Sunday I started lifting again. I tip the scales at a whopping 291. I want to lose the fat while I maintain the muscle I have. Here's my dilemma. When I previously was lifting I had a friend who was doing the program with me. She's bigger than I am. I think she weighs less but I also had previously built muscle so my size is smaller . She won't restart lifting with me because she said it's going to make my fat pooch out even more and I'll just get bigger.
Here's a breakdown of my week.
3 days a week I plan on lifting followed by 30 mins of basketball or jogging or whatever my legs will allow.
3-4 days a week I will do an hour of cardio. I'm about 3 weeks into C25K and then I finish out the hour with some inclines.
I eat at or under my calorie goal so I know I won't build muscle just retain what's there.
Here's my question(s)
1. If I continue this way will my belly fat really pooch out.?
2. I know a scale loss will slow or stop but won't I get smaller?
3. Am I crazy for wanting to start lifting when I'm this fat?
4. Should I stop lifting a no back to my cardio 7 days a week? I'm getting really damn sick of staring at a treadmill screen. (It's too cold and icy here in MT to take my jogs outside yet)

Please help me out so I can feel confident that what I'm doing will work and not make me bigger.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's never too soon to start strength training.

If anything your improved strength will probably lead to better posture which may give the illusion of being slimmer (it will also probably really improve your self-image and attitude which, in turn, leads to more confidence which changes how you carry yourself)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    make your belly pooch out???

Yah no...I have lost 4.5inches from my belly since I've been doing resistence training.
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    My thoughts to your questions...

1. No, so long as your calories remain at a deficit.
    2. So long as you are staying at a deficit the scale loss should not stop. The weights will start to firm and tone the muscle you naturally carry but getting smaller should be a result of the weight loss that goes back to the calorie deficit. Weights will also cause you to burn more calories over a longer period than cardio alone so keep lifting.
    3. No, perfectly sane. I have yet to see any proof that lifting weights is bad regardless of size so long as it is done intelligently and in a manner that fits your present condition.
    4. No.

Be confident, what you are doing will not make you bigger. Now, all this said, your success surrounding weight and fat loss is 90% diet so my goal would be to ensure that is absolutely spot on and you remain at a deficit. The exercise helps but the diet is the most critical piece of the puzzle. good luck, stay with it long term, be consistent in both diet and exercise and you should see the changes come you are seeking, never as fast as we want but they do come. good luck...
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I chose those words because my friend claims that's what her doctor said that she would build muscle under her belly fat and it would make her belly pooch out. I don't quite think a doctor told her that. But I just wanted some reassurance. That damn weight room is daunting by myself. I wanted to make sure that conquering my fears is worth it.

I should also add that even though I weigh that much I am in decent physical shape. I have worked out consistently for several years and done several 5ks. I swim, bike and walk/jog as much as possible.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I chose those words because my friend claims that's what her doctor said that she would build muscle under her belly fat and it would make her belly pooch out. I don't quite think a doctor told her that. But I just wanted some reassurance. That damn weight room is daunting by myself. I wanted to make sure that conquering my fears is with it.

It is possible a doctor could say something that silly. Most GPs have relatively little training when it comes to either nutrition or exercise physiology.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you maintain a caloric surplus, you can grow muscle and fat at the same time. So lifting + eating more than you need = bigger.

Eat at maintenance or a deficit, and your body will get smaller while lifting.
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm getting some positive reassurance. I was starting to think I needed to get thinner before I could get stronger.