What's more important - eating less or working out more?

Options
steph0315
steph0315 Posts: 13 Member
What's more important - keeping total food consumption at the calorie goal or working out more (and eating more) to obtain a net calorie goal? I find that if I stick with consuming the number of calories I am allotted (1350), I tend to feel deprived. I feel much happier and satiated if I work out and then eat back some of those exercise calories. Some days I feel like I'm eating an awful lot for someone trying to lose weight, even though my net is around goal. Is one method "better" than the other? Or does it truly not matter so long as I am netting around my goal?

Replies

• Jeffs_Jess
    Options
    I'm not really sure.
    Honestly, I lost over 100 lbs. without even setting foot in a gym.
    But now that I exercise, I notice more of a difference. And of course, I feel more accomplished
  • fitkatb
    fitkatb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Either way works. Days I don't exercise, I stay at the allotted calorie goal. Days I do exercise, I eat back some of the calories. Weight gets lost either way. I think what is important there, is that you say you feel better when you exercise and eat a little more. Do what makes you feel better. You're more likely to stick with it. Good luck!
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    First priority is a caloric deficit exercise is second.
  • Angela26point2finisher
    Options
    eating healthy is the most important, even more important than calorie intake. It only take a few minutes to eat a 1000 Calories and it takes hours of exercise to burn it off. Don't let yourself feel deprived, it seems like the biggest threat to anyone's success.
  • 125KC
    125KC Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals I guess. As I understand it, when you exercise you create lean muscle, and because muscle burns more calories than fat your BMR will go up. In my mind they are equally important to good health
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on the person. I think as long as you are in a calorie deficit. Do whatever is the least difficult for you to maintain.

I'm like you. I LOVE to eat. If I only ate less and kept to my calorie allotment I am miserable and cranky all day and would likely binge as a result.

However, I really enjoy exercising and what it does for overall body shape/strength and health, so I exercise so that I can eat more. It's a win-win.

I don't feel deprived because I get to eat more and I am still in a calorie deficit.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    What's more important - keeping total food consumption at the calorie goal or working out more (and eating more) to obtain a net calorie goal? I find that if I stick with consuming the number of calories I am allotted (1350), I tend to feel deprived. I feel much happier and satiated if I work out and then eat back some of those exercise calories. Some days I feel like I'm eating an awful lot for someone trying to lose weight, even though my net is around goal. Is one method "better" than the other? Or does it truly not matter so long as I am netting around my goal?

A calorie deficit is more important than exercise when losing weight. The deficit is for weight loss and exercise is for health. I exercise moderately ( walking 45 minutes a day ) and still lost 50 pounds in 10.5 month.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you is most important.
    Try something for a little while (a few weeks usually), see if it works. If not, adjust!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    The goal is never to see how little you can eat a day. It's instead to be able to eat as much as possible while still being able to get desirable results (i.e drop body fat or add muscle -- not that either of these can be done simultaneously either)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    More important for what?

Losing weight is all about creating a calorie deficit. You can do that by reducing food intake, exercising, or a combination of the both. Generally diet is for losing weight, exercise is for fitness.
  • robooth101
    robooth101 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's easier to get a calorie deficit by eating less than by exercising. Not that exercising isn't important to overall body health, but it's easier to cut out 500 calories worth of junk or other unhealthy foods each day than to burn that same amount through exercise.
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    Deficit first

Exercise second
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on your goal.

However, Erin Stern (pro competitor) said to increase the intensity of your workout RATHER than cut calories to achieve caloric goals. I tend to agree with that thinking, provided it doesn't become unhealthy.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    For me, exercise is more important. I like food.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    eating healthy is the most important, even more important than calorie intake.

:huh: No.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    The answer is yes.
  • hawkeyedave1981
    Options
    For me I always try to keep my calorie count near where it's supposed to be first, then the exercise is secondary.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    But to be more specific, a good rule of thumb to go by is:

Look good in clothes: food intake

Look good naked: exercise
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit leads to weight loss. Whether you're meeting your calorie goal without exercise or netting your calorie goal with exercise you're still eating at a deficit.

I also feel much better if I can eat say 1900 calories and work off 450 to net my 1450 goal than I do if I just eat 1450 calories. In fact I average an 1800 calorie intake on rest days but this is still below TDEE so I continue to lose, just at a slower pace.
  • steph0315
    steph0315 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all.