Improving 5k times

Options
Hi everyone,

I have completed five 5k races since August after working up from basically zero running ability at the beginning of 2010. I completed the races at what is basically a steady jog pace for me. Slow for a good runner, but grueling for me! I'm really happy to be able to do this for the first time in my life.

But, now that I've done a few, I think I'm getting more ambitious. I saw lots of improvement in my times over the first three races, but I think I've now plateaued. My time was in the 28:32 (9:10 mile pace) range for my past two races (same course, essentially flat). I want to keep improving. My goal is to get down to an 8:00 mile pace eventually. If you have some experience with 5k's, what are you doing to improve your times? I typically run 2 to 3 miles at a time maybe 3 times a week as it is now. Should I be adding more distance in my training, or trying to push the intensity and get more speed out of my current distances? Adding more running days per week? Has anyone broken through a plateau like this before?

Thanks!

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Bump. I run maad slow. I'd love to see advice on this.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    strength training, for sure!

I am not really sure, I am intervals sometimes and push myself a little longer each time, or try to. Adding sprints as well!
  • Cake_Fiend
    Cake_Fiend Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Interval training. This is when you add a couple of minutes at a faster pace into your run. For example 2 minutes fast, then 3 minutes at your base pace to recover and repeat a few times. This improves your fitness levels and will help you increase your speed. I use Nike+ so I've got a few preset ones on my ipod but if you look at running websites they'll probably have some guidlines.
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    First of all when done on the fact that you've got this far. Running is one of the best sports for weight loss, relaxing and chilling out after a hard days work.

If you only want to increase pace for a 5 k then you would need to start doing some interval training - sprinting for 30 seconds and then recovering at jogging pace for 2 mins, repeat for 20 mins with at least a 5 min warm up and cool down period.

If you want to increase distance then you would need to slowly increase the distance that you run - once per week will be enough up to half marathon distance - start by increasing either 5 mins or 1/2 mile each week. You could sign up for a 10k or even a half marathon in 3-6 months time and download a training plan (usually done over 12 weeks) or you could join a running club, they are usually for all ages and abilities (well they are in the UK)

(i did the above for my first half marathon and finished in 1hr52mins on my first attempt, i've since started doing more trail runs as they're much more fun and muddy!)

Also the lighter you are the quicker you will be as the less bulk you will have to carry around.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    When I'm training for a race, no matter what the distance, I do the following:

1) Speed workout - short intervals at as fast as I can go with rest in between
    2) Tempo workout - run about half the distance or time I'm training for at a faster pace than I plan for the race
    3) Long workout - run a steady pace, slower than race pace, working up to the distance.

There are training plans you can use that tell you exactly what to do each week for each of these types of workouts. Or you can wing it. :smile:

Another thing that works well for the 5k distance is to do the Couch to 5K program. The first time you do it, you are just trying to build up to 3 miles at any pace. But once you can do that (as you can), you can redo the program working on doing each running interval faster than the last time you completed the program. At the end, you'll be faster.

Finally, I find that strength training always improves my run times even during times I can't get a lot of run workouts in.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    Interval training is definitely a plus to your training regiment, but you only need to do that once a week. Keep losing the weight, running, eating healthy, and you'll keep getting faster. Make sure you take plenty of time to rest your body too. In addition, use the treadmill to help you with your speed too. For example, you can do your interval training on the treadmill, and it will help.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Vary up your workouts...both speed/distance. Start increasing your total weekly mileage by about 10% a week. So if you're running 10/week now, try for 11/week next week.

I've jumped from a just under-10 minute mile/pace in my 5Ks to just under 8-minute/pace. I attribute it to varying up my training with long runs, speed workouts and short easy runs.

Example - 45 minute speed workout:

10 minute easy run
    5 minutes running strong
    3 minutes easy run
    5 minutes running strong
    3 minutes easy run
    5 minutes strong
    4 minutes easy

"Easy"/"Strong" are relative terms depending on your pace, but it's a challenging workout, especially if you live in a hilly area!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have completed five 5k races since August after working up from basically zero running ability at the beginning of 2010. I completed the races at what is basically a steady jog pace for me. Slow for a good runner, but grueling for me! I'm really happy to be able to do this for the first time in my life.

But, now that I've done a few, I think I'm getting more ambitious. I saw lots of improvement in my times over the first three races, but I think I've now plateaued. My time was in the 28:32 (9:10 mile pace) range for my past two races (same course, essentially flat). I want to keep improving. My goal is to get down to an 8:00 mile pace eventually. If you have some experience with 5k's, what are you doing to improve your times? I typically run 2 to 3 miles at a time maybe 3 times a week as it is now. Should I be adding more distance in my training, or trying to push the intensity and get more speed out of my current distances? Adding more running days per week? Has anyone broken through a plateau like this before?

Thanks!

My steady time right now is 11.5 minute miles. But, what I'm starting to do is put an incline on my treadmill. Like a 1% incline. Helps alot. Also, I have found that higher altitude running helps with lung capacity so you can run longer. I would like to run my first marathon at sea level. I bet that will be good for me. haha
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Do interval training, Speed work, and Distance work.

interval training:
    5 min warm up walk
    10 min run
    3 min walk
    10 min run
    3 min walk
    10 min run
    5 min cool down

Speed work:
    Run 2 miles for speed

Distance:
    run 8-10k
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Lots of people are saying about interval training, I fully agree.

Something like, warm up and then:

run 800m in 4 minutes, take your heartrate and wait until it falls to 120 beats per minutes then do the same again until you have completed 4 x 800m.

Warm down.

If you do interval training once or twice per week, you will find this sharpens you up and running at the faster speeds will make the slower runs seem a hell of a lot easier.

The trick with interval training is to ensure you run the short distances at a lot faster than you normally run, if you don't, you will not improve as it will be just like running at your normal pace but stopping to walk, you would be going backwards in progress.