Others on 1200 calories/day?

Options
After filling out the MFP info, my calorie goal is just 1200 on mfp and I find it hard to meet it without going over by 2-300 calories. Also I know I need to exercise (and can add those calories back on as more food) but just have not been able to get myself to do so consistantly. How has 1200 cals worked for you and how have you overcome your unwillingness to get out that door and walk, jog, bike or swim? Thanks for any support.

Replies

• akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I am not a 1200 fan, it is just a default number. I would do more research and if you it, Each back your exercise calories, that makes it easier. I would not eat less than your BMR.
  • Andeenero
    Andeenero Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wear a pedometer because my physical activity changes dramatically day to day and that helps because I walk a ton.
    I usually find that if I can get 200-300 cal for breakfast, the rest of the day goes smoother. For lunch, a simple sandwich tends to be lowest in calories... wheat bread, turkey breast, miracle whip.... maybe some romaine.
    The other thing that's really worked for me is filling up on fibrous foods since they're lower in calories for the most part.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have a target of 1300 but generally food is about 1100 to 1300. My dairy is open if you would like to friend me and check out my meals and stuff.

P.S. I eat 3 healthy and generously sized meals, I like my food too much to starve myself :laugh:
  • WannabeFab50
    Options
    Hi, I just joined today and have not finished my profile or added any food but I am going to be at the 1200 calories per day too. I find it hard to stay motivated and am limited by what I can do as exercise. I guess I would try to figure out what food or meal is causing you to go over and try to critique it. I am a huge sweets person and love carbs so right from the beginning I knew what I needed to do. Reduce junk food to only once and awhile, smaller portions of carbs. Good Luck! I'll try to keep you posted on the calorie amount.
  • danidaggers13
    Options
    I'm currently on 1200 calories a day. I go by 200 cals for breakfast, 400 cals for lunch and 600 cals for dinner. Sometimes I have 300 cals for breakfast and lunch then 600 cals for dinner.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    After filling out the MFP info, my calorie goal is just 1200 on mfp and I find it hard to meet it without going over by 2-300 calories. Also I know I need to exercise (and can add those calories back on as more food) but just have not been able to get myself to do so consistantly. How has 1200 cals worked for you and how have you overcome your unwillingness to get out that door and walk, jog, bike or swim? Thanks for any support.

the best way really is to find your maintenance calorie intake, it can take weeks, start with LBM X 14 CALORIES, run that for a week or 2, exercise and see how your weight fluctuates until it stabilizes to a certain weight on that food intake and exercise intensity/duration... then start decreasing carbs slowly... GIVE YOURSELF TIME... 1-1.5 lbs a week is golden.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I'm very petite and 1200-1300 net is pretty much the only range I can lose weight on without going over-restrictive. If I'm not forcing myself to get out, I do maintain at 1300, though. Basically, I had to learn to choose between two eating styles:

1. No substantial meals: just lots of little snacks throughout the day.

2. Intermittent fasting.

I generally go for the I.F.

A 1200 calorie limit is enough to keep me exercising for extra calories to eat back when the weather is nice, but this winter I have had a horrible time of it and have managed to gain back a handful of pounds. I'm considering the Pact (formerly known as GymPact) app to give me that extra motivation.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1208857-need-1200-cal-friends-for-accountability-and-support?hl=1200+cals

This topic is posted on the threads almost daily. Have a read through on this one (the one that came up first when I searched). Read through the WHOLE thing, cuz you might find some interesting information (especially since you are new). Pay particular attention to the post by user Trogalicious. He's got great advice and has lost something like 150 lbs.
  • Girlrose
    Girlrose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds on a 1200 calorie diet with no exercise. From there, I increased to ~1400 with exercise and I lost a lot more weight. 1200 is probably too low!

(My starting was 142 and my current is 108.)
  • blairf83
    blairf83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For me, I've been at it 3 weeks with this app and haven't lost an ounce. I'm very frustrated. I am at 190 lbs, need to lose about 50 to try to maintain functionality and comfort level for major back issues- most of my spine is fused, I have 5 discs remaining, and 2 of those have degenerative changes already)

I am working hard. I track everything that goes in my mouth, down to my darn gummy vitamins. I have ditched a major Diet Coke habit.

Since New Years, I've gone to yoga 5x a week minimum, and have been going 7 days recently. It's the first workout that hasn't left me quite dependent on pain medication after more than a week or two. I have even managed to get strength and flexibility up enough to take part in the more challenging and higher calorie burining Vinyasa classes a couple of the days.

I am also finding that I have a hard time using all of 1200 cal without going over (Doctor doesn't want me eating more to make up for exercise and I am on adipex to help control appetite) . Eating 900 cal a day is pretty darn easy. But when I start incorporating additional snacks, it gets dicey- I end up throwing half of something out to eek it in right and prevent the temptation to finish whatever it is off...

Before I started dieting, my normal day would be about 1700 to 2000 cal/day. Suspecting my metabolism is rather screwed...

*frustrated*
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think MFP gives me 1650 but I try to do 1300-1400 and it's not that hard for me. I eat 4 times a day so my snack is kind of another small meal. I am also vegetarian. I think my diary is open.
  • RuthDT
    RuthDT Posts: 5
    Options
    For me, I've been at it 3 weeks with this app and haven't lost an ounce. I'm very frustrated. I am at 190 lbs, need to lose about 50 to try to maintain functionality and comfort level for major back issues- most of my spine is fused, I have 5 discs remaining, and 2 of those have degenerative changes already)

I am working hard. I track everything that goes in my mouth, down to my darn gummy vitamins. I have ditched a major Diet Coke habit.

Since New Years, I've gone to yoga 5x a week minimum, and have been going 7 days recently. It's the first workout that hasn't left me quite dependent on pain medication after more than a week or two. I have even managed to get strength and flexibility up enough to take part in the more challenging and higher calorie burining Vinyasa classes a couple of the days.

I am also finding that I have a hard time using all of 1200 cal without going over (Doctor doesn't want me eating more to make up for exercise and I am on adipex to help control appetite) . Eating 900 cal a day is pretty darn easy. But when I start incorporating additional snacks, it gets dicey- I end up throwing half of something out to eek it in right and prevent the temptation to finish whatever it is off...

Before I started dieting, my normal day would be about 1700 to 2000 cal/day. Suspecting my metabolism is rather screwed...

*frustrated*

I'm no expert here, but I think you are not getting enough at 900 calories (if I am reading this right). Your body is probably in starvation mode and you won't lose weight there....... maybe start a new thread?
  • kung_fu_red
    Options
    I'm on 1200 cal daily too. It feels really low. I think I'm going to have to run a lot to make up for the calories I go over.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1,300 a day but I eat back calories that I burn, or at least some of them. I intentionally set my goal low just in case I cheat a little sometimes. My philosophy is to aim for the moon so maybe I'll hit a star.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    1200 is not hard for me. I eat a very light breakfast if I eat breakfast usually around 200 calories or less. Lunch is usually around 350, than workout and have a low calorie snack, then dinner than if I am low on calories a snack. The trick is to eat low calorie foods like veggies, tofu noodles, fish, turkey and such
  • carolynkidder
    Options
    I only have troubles meeting up with the 1200 calories a day if I don't exercise AND I eat out and have something like a burger and fries. :) In addition to striving for a healthier body and lifestyle, I try to aim for 4-5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. I eat five smaller meals a day - breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner. portion control is HUGE and you have to feed your body to lose weight. Eating out and bread are my downfalls. And wine. :)

I aim for some kind of protein with each meal, and a whole grain/food for carbs at lunch and dinner. breakfast might be egg whites with onions and green peppers and mushrooms, or a homemade smoothie. Morning snack might be a 2oz portion of deli chicken in 1/2 a green pepper, l might have a salad and a banana or small potato or rice with some kind of protein for lunch, afternoon snack might be an apple and 2oz of Chicken breast, and dinner would be veggies, whole grain side and protein. Maybe a snack of diced pineapple and blueberries in the evening.

We can all do this!!
  • Roxanne_Hennessy
    Roxanne_Hennessy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    1200 is not hard for me. I eat a very light breakfast if I eat breakfast usually around 200 calories or less. Lunch is usually around 350, than workout and have a low calorie snack, then dinner than if I am low on calories a snack. The trick is to eat low calorie foods like veggies, tofu noodles, fish, turkey and such

I'm on 1200 too and i usually have a hard time meeting it. I usually average 150 breakfast 300 lunch and then have 750 left for dinner/dessert/snack.

I also don't work out, unless you count the 5 minute walk to the bus
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Id suggest going here http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ find your TDEE and take 20% off that number. I ate 1200 calories a day for about 3 weeks at the start of this journey, im now eating 2200 and still losing.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight.