New to lifting/crossfit

Options
So I've been going to crossfit classes for almost 2 months now and am a little frustrated that I'm still not comfortable enough with a lot of the lifts that I can actually add weights to the bar. Particularly the front rack position, snatch, deadlift, (pretty much everything).

So my question is for those that lift, how long did it take for you to get comfortable with all the different lifting techniques and how long before you started adding weights?

Just feel like I'm progressing fairly slowly.

Thanks!

Replies

• jcan1588
    jcan1588 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Personally I took to it fairly quickly, I really enjoy olympic lifting. However the coaches said that it usually takes much longer to get the form correct . What really helps me with form is have some one tape you and then watch it back in between each lift. It's much easier to correct a problem if you see it rather then someone telling you "drop your butt" or "pop your hips" It doesn't matter how much weight you're moving if you form sucks. Keep working on it it will come. Another thing that helps is using kettle bells for the movements.
  • mnvela
    mnvela Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I had problems with different positions. Squat, Overhead, Front Rack, etc. This is not unusual for people starting in Crossfit or olympic lifts. It seems the nature of the lifts and the requirement of full range of motion exposes those issues. If you jump on the Crossfit message boards or do a search on youtube there are so many new lifters that are asking the same questions you are.
    What has been helpful has been a really good coach. Seek other coaches in other crossfit boxes or olympic lifting gyms that may help.
    Also, watching videos on the MobilityWOD.com that helped with exercises and stretches that improved range of motion.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    not every body is the same- we come from different places- different pains/injuries- issues/up bringing (yes it matters to an extent)

it takes time- two months could be nothing- two months could mean everything- just keep working on it- practice technique and keep at it.

it's not easy getting stronger- if it was- everyone would do it.

Be patient young grasshopper.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    If it's weight, just be patient. Ask your coaches for supplement exercises you can do after your WOD if you really want to speed progress.

If it's mobility, check out the excellent mobilitywod.com or buy Starrett's book "Becoming A Supple Leopard". It walks you through all the lifts, gives you ways to diagnose yourself and fix the problems through targeted exercises.
  • jenna762001
    jenna762001 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    it really all depends on several things... where you started from, how often you workout, how hard you push yourself, what you eat, genetics and reality play a role too. im 37, mother of 6 and have been doing crossfit on and off for 2 years. i have definitely made gains but they took me time. i didnt start from square one though. i already did some boot camp style circuit training regualrly for a year before i tried crossfit. that said... i started out at crossfit with just the 45lb bar or 65 pounds for most workouts and it took me a year to get to my lifting pr's. i think my maxes were 85 shoulder press, 115 maybe for back squat and slightly higher for deadlifts, i reached using a 53lb kb for swings. i have a chronically injured hamstring that makes a lot of leg movements with heavy weight tough on me and honestly i just dont have a strong or athletic build. when i stopped going to crossfit last summer to focus all my training on a marathon pr i took huge steps back before my return a couple weeks ago. i lose it fast if i dont use it. im back to a 35lb kettlebell and much lower weights on the bar. i never did achieve my strict or kipping pull ups even with all i was doing before my break, but i was very close. now im nowhere near either. it all takes time. dont beat yourself up over it. work hard and often and you'll see gains. everyone is different. i reached my pr's doing 4-5 classes a week and i worked hard. some of the other girls were much stronger with less work. thats frustrating sometimes. so though i make slow gains, i know im working my hardest so nothing else really matters. my "strength" in crossfit is definitely my cardio conditioning and endurance.
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have gone to a gym and lifted weights since I was 16, I just started crossfit last November. As much experience I have in the gym, I am still not incredibly comfortable with the all the Olympic lifts. That said, I feel that the crossfit workout is more beneficial to me than just going to a standard gym. Give it some time and be patient, the lifts are complicated with a lot of different muscles that have to fire in a specific order to achieve the lift properly. Best wishes
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Xfit for 7 months now and I still have trouble with certain lifts, especially the overhead squat.

I think a lot of it is mobility based which will come with time and consistent training. Does your box incorporate mobility into your warmups? That is definitely important. I notice that a lot of people have trouble with the front rack position which is 100% mobility based. Ask your coach to show you some mobility exercises that you can do on your own to open up the shoulders so you can get into that position more easily.

In terms of adding weight, that will come with time. Keep doing the lifts at your current weight and getting more comfortable with them and eventually, you'll be adding weight. Soon enough you'll be RXing the WODs!

In my experience, I was able to get comfortable with the deadlift, power snatch, back squat and front squat a lot faster than I did with cleans and overhead squats. Everyone's mobility is different but you will eventually get there! Keep at it!
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for the great answers! I just have to learn to be more patient! I finished class last night a little discouraged because as much as my brain is ready to do it, my body just isn't fully there yet.

Thanks again!
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've been CrossFit-ting for 5 weeks now and although like you I am not comfortable/terrible at some/most of the lifts (some of that is my own clumsiness/lack of coordination only this morning I hit myself in the back of the head with a bar, lol). I think the important thing is not to get demotivated, so what if it takes you longer to 'get it' than someone else, it's not a race. Just keep at it and remember how much worse you were when you started and think of your progress.
  • hayles_s
    hayles_s Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I properly started crossfit this week by varying the WODs each day using the WOD drive mobile apps. I consider myself to be pretty fit but notice that i have gained some weight. is this normal in the beginnng? I'm trying not to get too disheartened.
  • QuentinHardage
    Options
    I am into cross fit for about 6 months and have gained 9 pounds, but my jeans fit better. Crossfit helps me gain strength and muscle while losing body fat.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    The Olympic Lifts (Snatch and Clean & Jerk) are VERY technical and take a lot of time to learn.

The other lifts (Deadlifts, Squats etc.) are easier to learn but as with any lifting, good form is very critical to learn not only to do the lifts correctly, but to keep from getting injured doing so.

Does your box not offer coaching?

If not, do your own homework. For the Olympic Lifts, Google or You Tube search Greg Everett or Mike Burgener.

For the other lifts, Google or You Tube search Mark Rippetoe.