Have prescription weight loss pills helped anyone?

Options
Have prescription weight loss pills helped anyone on this board?

Not that they can do all the work but maybe they helped you eat a little less and therefore motivated you in other ways?

Considering getting started.

I have a bmi of 40 and am desperate for some help making this change.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I started with a BMI of 46 now it's 29 all done without the aid of pills. Yes some prescription pills can help some people but if you look at some of the possible side effects you are really better off without them. Also even with using them you still have to control your diet.

Track your food weigh and measure everything and stick within your goals an you'll lose weight. To start with you will lose it pretty quick anyway due to your present weight (it will slow down though). Also get moving for the first 3 months all I did was walk it all helps. Good luck
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Note: When you ask about Rx weight loss on this site, you are going to have every member come out of the wood work with no experience with them, and plenty of negative things to say about them as if you will not be told the risks by your doctor.

Under Doctor supervision, you can try Phentermine 37.5mg. It knocks your appetite, and if you do not have any health issues and can handle the increase in heart rate and energy, you'll be fine. It's a good kick starter, and really I don't see the harm for short term - just try your best to learn good nutrition along the way and keeping workout out, otherwise you will gain back the lost weight. It's not magic, but it helps if you are desperate. Sometimes the risks associated with being overweight outweigh the risks of medication.

Do not try Orlistat... you will poop your pants.

I personally do not think that's how you should start off though - I think you'll have plenty of success to begin with just with diet and exercise.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    I agree with fatdoob - you'll be much happier if you just learn to do the things we all had to learn to do to lose weight. An artificial weight loss thing is kind of cheating.

Really, weight loss is not that difficult if you just log all your food and study your Food Diary and adjust where needed.

You can't get it all right all at once, it is a process. Start with logging religiously everything you eat.
  • lovelayla
    Options
    I tried phentermine once,it was really great for my energy levels. It also made me really thirsty so I increased my water intake.I liked it,but its a drug so be careful and continue to research....
  • Cconnaughton8
    Cconnaughton8 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm new at this! And confused! I feel like my calories to be eaten each day are too high?? I have entered the following: female, current weight (60kgs), goal (55kgs), height (169cm), aim to lose 0.5kgs a week, active, exercise 6 times / week for 45mins.
    It is giving me 1630cal per day intake. It said I would lose 1.1kgs by April 1st but that doesn't make sense? Right?
    Does anyone else get these numbers using my data?
    Confuseddddd ????
    Thanks for any input! Greatly appreciated!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Cconnaughton8 - please start your own thread asking your question, instead of putting it in someone else's thread.
  • melissajane83
    melissajane83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I tried Phentermine 37.5mg and it did nothing for me. The only thing it did do was give me bad stomach pains. Everyone is different through!
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Prescription stimulants can decrease your appetite. In my experience, it only lasts for a while - then you get kinda used to them and your appetite goes back to normal. My experience is with a medication that has been prescribed for weight loss, but that's not why I was taking it. It's possible at a different dose it would have done more. However, it did bad things to my blood pressure.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I am a Personal Trainer, and I lost about 100 lbs at 40 years old with just good old eating well and working out hard and often. Pills are a short term fix, and a lifestyle change is permanent and best IMO.
  • heatherluuu
    heatherluuu Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was on Phen as well. I had no appetite and lost weight quickly, but they cannot be prescribed forever. When the RX ran out I gained all the weight back +10 pounds. I'm sorry, I wish I had better news for you! It's a struggle.
  • CBC435
    CBC435 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Have prescription weight loss pills helped anyone on this board?

Not that they can do all the work but maybe they helped you eat a little less and therefore motivated you in other ways?

Considering getting started.

I have a bmi of 40 and am desperate for some help making this change.

I am currently on Phen after 2 1/2 years of weight loss failure and mind you- I work out 5-6 times a week for 1-3 hours plus clean eating. It was due to my hormones not being balanced and fighting against me. Plus gaining weight when I was eating right and exercising religiously. I will say that you need to talk to your PCP and they will decide what is best for you. It is not a quick fix but I am loving it and have lost 22 pounds (plus taking my hormones) since Dec. 31. It has decreased my appetite and with that being said, I eat my calorie limits for the day + I am finding my cravings are vastly decreasing. What is good about the phen is that it creates a 3-4 month path to follow and you start to learn how to live healthy because you are not hungry all the time! But these things are true about heart increases, dry mouth, insomnia but I only have dry mouth. I am only on 30mg so not as high as 37.5 mg that some are on. Again, you must talk to you doctor and if it's your last resort. Good luck!