Health Issues and Weight Loss Trouble

Options
Anyone have issues with hypoglycemia and trying to lose weight? I went down a slippery slope in January of 2012 after my breast reduction surgery. I started the Shot (no I did not over eat, I actually did gain 30 lbs from it). After that I became very discouraged about my weight. I later got some motivation to try again only to find out I'm pre-diabetic. I worked so hard for so long with no change in my weight. I got extremely discouraged, pretty much accepting that I'll just be diabetic some day. I tried again recently to lose weight. I got a trainer, changing my diet as I have, all while working around a hectic work and school schedule (Senior in college and working an Internship, both in different cities then where I live). I feel like I just can't catch a break. I'm now, on top of a crazy schedule, trying to cope with hypoglycemia. I cling to glucose tablets to get myself through the day at school and work. So far since January I've gone from 186 lbs to 180 my goal is 150. I am unfortunately become so discouraged again. I feel as if every time I try to lose weight, a new health issue pops up to stop me. Has anyone had any similar problems when trying to lose weight? It feels like an uphill battle and i want to avoid medication at all cost. My doctor said that if I don't lose weight in six months I'll be put on Metformin, which I read has some nasty side effects. I don't want these health issues to win over my life.

Replies

• 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    That is a good loss you have already accomplished. I am sorry you are having so many troubles when you begin a new health habit. It sounds like you have a lot to deal with. If your doctor recommends metformin and you have doubts, you are free to get opinions from other doctors. Having said that, you can lose weight in the next six months. It won't be easy to change old habits, especially under your other pressures, but you can do it day by day. Keep posting here about your food intake and exercise questions and many will help you. Good luck.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    do you consistent carb at meals? diabetics require a certain amount of steady carbs. glucose tablets are not steady carbs and in fact are not the first line of raising low sugars. a small glass of oj followed up with a peanut butter sandwich is recommended. I'm sorry you are goin through this I think you should speak with a diabetic educator they know their stuff when it comes to meal planning. good luck!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Go back to your dr. Prediabetic and relying on glucose tablets = you need to see a dr and a dietician and make a plan about what and when to eat. What you are doing, it is not how it should work, sorry, it actually makes no sense.
    As for Metformin, it will not be prescribed to you to lose weight, if this is what you understood. Not changing your lifestyle to lose weight, increases your risk for diabetes and you will need Metformin to control your blood sugar. Changing your lifestyle is needed to treat naturally your health issues, your health issues are not preventing your lifestyle changes, you got this backwards. Obesity causes diabetes, not the other way round.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You really need to work with a doctor and a dietician if you're having issues with hypoglycemia. PARTICULARLY if they're going to put you on Metformin. That will make the hypoglycemia worse.

I've been considered "pre-diabetic" for about the last 12 years. I am not yet diabetic by some miracle. My grandfather was diabetic, and my father had insulin resistance, as do I.

There are things with taking Metformin that will make things easier:
    More protein, less carbs/fats
    Drink lots of water
    Add fiber
    Take the Metformin at least 3/4 of the way through the meal or at the end of the meal, not at the beginning of the meal.

It would be VERY helpful for you to see a dietician. It's been vital for me. I couldn't have lost as much as I have without having done that.

Thing is: You need to be willing to make changes that will alleviate your health issues. The dietician is the best person to help you make those modifications.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Anyone have issues with hypoglycemia and trying to lose weight? I went down a slippery slope in January of 2012 after my breast reduction surgery. I started the Shot (no I did not over eat, I actually did gain 30 lbs from it). After that I became very discouraged about my weight. I later got some motivation to try again only to find out I'm pre-diabetic. I worked so hard for so long with no change in my weight. I got extremely discouraged, pretty much accepting that I'll just be diabetic some day. I tried again recently to lose weight. I got a trainer, changing my diet as I have, all while working around a hectic work and school schedule (Senior in college and working an Internship, both in different cities then where I live). I feel like I just can't catch a break. I'm now, on top of a crazy schedule, trying to cope with hypoglycemia. I cling to glucose tablets to get myself through the day at school and work. So far since January I've gone from 186 lbs to 180 my goal is 150. I am unfortunately become so discouraged again. I feel as if every time I try to lose weight, a new health issue pops up to stop me. Has anyone had any similar problems when trying to lose weight? It feels like an uphill battle and i want to avoid medication at all cost. My doctor said that if I don't lose weight in six months I'll be put on Metformin, which I read has some nasty side effects. I don't want these health issues to win over my life.

I am a bit confused. Did your doctor diagnose you with Pre-Diabetes AND Hypoglycemia? Because those generally do not go together unless you are on insulin. If you are pre-diabetic, then your glucose levels are too high. The only way for them to be too low, in your case, is if you are on insulin. If you have diagnosed yourself with Hypoglycemia and are taking glucose on your own, then that may be the cause of your pre diabetes.

There is a medical condition where your body creates too much insulin, resulting in hypoglycemia, but that wouldn't cause you to be pre-diabetic, unless you are overdoing it on the glucose, then that would be a temporary thing. Does your doctor check your blood when you are fasting?

I am not a doctor, so perhaps there is a weird phenomenon that I am not aware of, that causes both of these conditions to happen at once.
  • tacox12
    tacox12 Posts: 5
    Options
    To be honest, I'm confused too. I've been doing my own research. In August of last year, she told me I was pre-diabetic. Handed me a panphlet and sent me on my way. I did a glucose tolerance test and my blood sugar was high after I drank the drink. Now fast forward to a few months ago and I'm explaining how I've been trying to lose weight and the symptoms I've been having. She tells me "oh, that's hypoglycemia." And thats when she brings up Metformin if I can't lose weight in 6 months. She had me do another fasting blood test, but not the same one I did that showed my blood sugar was high AFTER I had the drink. I'm honestly thinking about switching doctors, she's not much help.
  • tacox12
    tacox12 Posts: 5
    Options
    I tried talking to my doctor, unfortunately she's more worried about getting me out fast. Changing a lifestyle is hard for anyone and I've really been working at it. I know for myself that I've come very far compared to where I started before all of these problems started. I did not say these are preventing lifestyle changes, but making it very very difficult. That would get discouraging to anyone. I'm not going to go into a full on detail about my daily life, but everyone works with what they can and that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm not looking at the Metformin as an 'easy way out' to drop weight. I understand what it is actually for, and I would rather not have to get on ANY medication. I'm fully aware and I don't have anything backwards. One more time, I HAVE made lifestyle changes, and I don't need to go into details about them. I guess since I'm not perfect, I'm not doing anything at all? I don't understand what 'makes no sense' about what I've tried to change in my life recently, given the circumstances I'm under with work and school for the time being?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I guess what makes no sense is how the dr is treating you :( You cannot be prediabetic, unmedicated, with a recommendation for metformin and then also been given glucose tablets. You need a new dr and this would probably change things a lot.
    Find a new dr or google diabetics diet (try diabetes.org for example), to get a plan you can live with, not starve, not get stressed and not exclude food groups, and of course get healthier. Your dr should first try to control things with a diet plan, not give you ultimatums. And the diet plan needs someone to guide you, what is the dr expecting you to do on your own, this is just crazy.