women sizes

Options
When you are loosing weight whats the difference between size 18 in juniors, misses, plus sizes

Replies

• jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The difference is in the cut - juniors are usually narrower in the hip.
  • lbwolcenski
    Options
    Generally speaking, size 18 is Plus Size in clothing. Juniors go up to 15/17; Misses go up to 14/16.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on here TOTALLY disagree with me and see a huge difference but I do not.

I have right now in my closet size 14, 14W, 15 juniors, 16, and 16W and they all fit pretty much the same except of course the 16s are bigger than the 14s.

For quite some time I stayed away from the misses section in stores because of people on here claiming that 18W was like three sizes bigger than 18, and so on. I assumed that when I got to 16W I might even have to wear 14W for awhile before going to a 16 misses... Then I realized yep, my size 16W pants fit the same as the 16s. Exactly.

I do still find some variance in sizing/fit though but it is more based on stores and brands and cuts (curvy vs. slim and so on).

JMHO!
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sizing depends on where you live and what kind of clothing. Different countries have different sizes. A UK size 12 is not the same as a US 12. While junior tend to be built for tweens and tweens, misses tends to be smaller in bust/hip size than women's. Ready to wear clothing size is not constant. I sew my own clothes sometimes, and a size 18 in a pattern from any of the big 3 will likely correspond to a size 14-16 ready to wear. In ready to wear, I can fit sizes 10-16, S-XL. It just depends on who makes the clothing and what kind of vanity sizing they have. When ordering online, I use the inches/cms to determine size, not the number or letter.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    As one of the other posters said, sizes marked as "juniors" are usually narrower in the hips. It has always been my understanding that there IS a difference between size 18 misses and size 18 womens. I have always heard that a size 18 misses is the equivalent of a size 14 in the womens/plus size department. Hope that helps!
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Junior sizes are narrower through the hip and thighs... generally made to fit the teen figure -- no longer an adolescent, but not quite a woman-- someone who is still in the development stages... tends to have a figure forming fit...

a "W" size... such as 14W, 16W etc...generally made to fit the mature woman... someone whose body tends to be softer/curvier.... fuller cut in the hips and thighs... styles that "skim" the body vs a snug fit

a standard size... such as a 14, 16 ....generally made to fit the average adult woman ... has some shaping that gently curves the well rounded, fit body

hope that helps...
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I don't notice a huge difference in women's vs juniors pants, but I feel like juniors shirts run much smaller than women's.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    It has always been my understanding that there IS a difference between size 18 misses and size 18 womens. I have always heard that a size 18 misses is the equivalent of a size 14 in the womens/plus size department. Hope that helps!

nope, definitely not. At least not at Macy's, LOFT, Target, J. Jill, or the misses & plus sections at Kohl's and JC Penney.

I don't mean to sound snotty but as someone who has run the gamut of stores, cuts, brands, and all between size 14-20 for the past year or so -- I feel like I have a very definite opinion on this! ;-)
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    nope, definitely not. At least not at Macy's, LOFT, Target, J. Jill, or the misses & plus sections at Kohl's and JC Penney.

I don't mean to sound snotty but as someone who has run the gamut of stores, cuts, brands, and all between size 14-20 for the past year or so -- I feel like I have a very definite opinion on this! ;-)

I didn't think you sounded snotty at all. It has been a good 10 years since I've been able to fit into misses sizes and am sure that women who are currently able to shop in this department are going to have the most current and correct information on the subject. Thank you for correcting/updating me! :-)