belly bandit..Calling all mom's!

Options
mmckee10
mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
I am under no illusion that this will fix my belly magically or make me drop 30lbs in two days. What I am curious about is the "post baby bloat" through the midsection and helping the muscles to go back to "normal" during that 6 week period that you're not allowed to work out. I will be consuming my recommended amount of calories and EBF.. No C-section in either case (hopefully).

Have you used the belly bandit or something similar?

Did you wear it every day?

Would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Honestly most women don't need "help" getting their abs pulled back in, they do that on their own as you heal from childbirth. It may take a while, but i'll happen.

I've actually heard of those belly cinchers doing substantial internal organ damage and/or terrible constipation that needed medical intervention and surgery, because they pull you in so tight and don't allow natural organ movement. I wouldn't risk it. Just let your body heal on it's own like it was designed to do.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it these six weeks. Give yourself some time and a break.

I was at a normal weight when I had my first. That bloat goes away and the muscle snaps back on its own. It took about 6 mos for my hips to go back to their original size but they did. That was body structure, not weight. I gained a ton of weight but it fell off without any effort from me (I nursed which does help) and I actually ended up 10lbs lighter. If you have weight to lose you'll know it after the 6 weeks and can deal with it then. Just be sensible now.

My hips did not go back to 'normal' after my last pregnancy and my feet are now a size bigger but - what can ya do? I was 'advanced maternal age' and carried twins full term so my pelvis did OK, lol.
  • mmckee10
    Options
    I am under no illusion that this will fix my belly magically or make me drop 30lbs in two days. What I am curious about is the "post baby bloat" through the midsection and helping the muscles to go back to "normal" during that 6 week period that you're not allowed to work out. I will be consuming my recommended amount of calories and EBF.. No C-section in either case (hopefully).

Have you used the belly bandit or something similar?

Did you wear it every day?

Would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance. :)

This is the first I've ever heard of the six week rule. Just buy spanx if you want to look thinner and not put in any work.

I'm assuming either A) you don't have children or B) you don't have a vagina. After a vaginal birth you aren't allowed to exercise for 6 weeks.. and I think after a c-section it is longer. The object isn't to "look thinner and not put in any work" it's to make sure I don't have separation of my ab muscles (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001602.htm) during the healing process. I've used calorie counting through out my pregnancy because I'm already "obese". I honestly don't care how fat or thin I look after I give birth. I just don't want to have to have corrective surgery for an ab problem later.
  • mmckee10
    Options

I was at a normal weight when I had my first. That bloat goes away and the muscle snaps back on its own. It took about 6 mos for my hips to go back to their original size but they did. That was body structure, not weight. I gained a ton of weight but it fell off without any effort from me (I nursed which does help) and I actually ended up 10lbs lighter. If you have weight to lose you'll know it after the 6 weeks and can deal with it then. Just be sensible now.

My hips did not go back to 'normal' after my last pregnancy and my feet are now a size bigger but - what can ya do? I was 'advanced maternal age' and carried twins full term so my pelvis did OK, lol.

Congrats on the twins! I've only gained about 5lbs total so far (at 23 weeks). I had horrible MS the first few months. With my son I gained around 35lbs and the bottom of my stomach looks...weird now. ? If that makes any sense. Thank you for the advice. :)
  • mmckee10
    Options
    Honestly most women don't need "help" getting their abs pulled back in, they do that on their own as you heal from childbirth. It may take a while, but i'll happen.

I've actually heard of those belly cinchers doing substantial internal organ damage and/or terrible constipation that needed medical intervention and surgery, because they pull you in so tight and don't allow natural organ movement. I wouldn't risk it. Just let your body heal on it's own like it was designed to do.

Yikes. I think I will just go with the flow this time too. (I didn't know there was such a thing as a belly bandit after I had my son). Thanks for the advice :)
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options

Congrats on the twins! I've only gained about 5lbs total so far (at 23 weeks). I had horrible MS the first few months. With my son I gained around 35lbs and the bottom of my stomach looks...weird now. ? If that makes any sense. Thank you for the advice. :)

Thank you and I see you are still pregnant so just looking ahead. That might be corrected by weight loss but if it were me - I still wouldn't really actively do anything about it those first 6 weeks other than be sensible. You only get one babymoon. Sometimes the skin is just never as taunt as it once was. There are so many factors in that like how big your belly gets, genetics (biggest), etc. I have a similar phenomenon now after the twins despite decent genetics because I was ginormous. I did not lose all my pregnancy weight the last time and then gained some more - but as I lose it is getting better. Not sure what the end result will be. Best wishes for a smooth pregnancy and delivery :)