Never Really Lifted Before...

Options
kcm105
kcm105 Posts: 50 Member
So I keep seeing everyone talk about how important it is to lift weights. Okay, I give in and I believe all of you!

However, I've never lifted before other than doing Body Pump type classes. My question is, does this sort of thing count? Or do I need to get to know weightlifting fitness equipment? This is really new territory for me, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    not familiar with bodypump so i will leave that one for others. i would start slowly to get to know the weightlifting fitness equipment as over the long haul, it is very beneficial. the ladies will give you tons of advice as to starter programs, pick 1 and give it a go, it will definitely benefit you over the long term. good luck..
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I'm also not familiar with Body Pump but have a look at New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 - all great progressive programs. See if you can get a trainer to help you with the basic lifts, or youtube videos of these and you're away :)
  • krystalfay
    Options
    I take a body pump class once or twice a week. Yes, this counts as weight ligting. We do all the basic lifts in this class. Dead lifts, over head press, clean and press, ect. All I would suggest is that you listen to the instructor as they call out what the next muscle focus group is going to be so you can determin the weight you will need. They are pretty good at telling you if you should be adding or removing weight. Lift heavy, and fill that bar up! try to add a little more weight then you think you are comfortable with. If you can keep good form, awesome, stick with it. If your form is suffering drop some weight off your bar. I try and add a little more weight each week to challenge myself. Im also lifting outside of class too. Just make sure you have good form so you aren't hurting yourself.