Replies

• JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I think alcohol -
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up bread and fried foods... I'm also going to so something good for others like so kind of random acts of kindness..
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Yes, my belief in superstition.
  • karmabear06
    karmabear06 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Ahh "sweets" including but not limited to baked, processed, or frozen goodies except my protien bars, shakes, and yogurt. I've been really bad lately and could use a swift kick in the pants to get back on track. Gave up all my other bad vices drinking, smoking, fried foods and it'll be a cold day in hell before I give up coffee although I am limiting how much I drink :-)
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    A few years ago my friend was converting to become Catholic because of her upcoming marriage. I am not Catholic but wanted to help her out with giving something up for lent. We did french fries and all red meat. The first few days were the hardest but got through it. Last year it was eating only chicken and fish. I had learned to cut out my french fry addiction from the first year and have since learned to make some pretty awesome chicken dishes.
    This year will be the big one for me. Im giving up all candy, cookies, pies, ect. I have a huge problem with candy and think that this will be a fun and challenging thing for me. Ate all of my favorite junk food the past 3 days so here goes nothing. Im exciting for trying new fruits and yogurts as the alternative to my candy and junk food addiction.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,065 Member
    Options
    Is anyone going to use this time to try and add something good or give up a bad habit? Two years in a row I gave up no sweets and no alcohol, wasn't easy but I did it.

Not so sure what I want to do this year. Maybe something with fitness :smile:

How about something that will bring you closer to God? You don't necessarily have to "give up" anything.

Yes I agree you don't have to give up anything tangible - some people do Lenten studies for example, which you could call giving up other time to do it or adding something rather than giving it up.

I do agree giving something up needs to have a purpose - I find giving up chocolate helps me focus on self control and appreciate the luxuries I take for granted in my privileged first world life.
    I do Lenten studies as well so I do feel the purpose of giving up something non tangible (spare time) and something tangible (chocolate) is achieved.
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yes, my belief in superstition.

Gave up all that malarkey when I was about 10 :bigsmile:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Every day is lent for me haha XD
    Only natural foods for me nothing processed!

Although I could give up coffee...thats one thing I am bad about :P

you could give up being smug...

but then no one will know how awesomely natural she is.
  • mandos_13
    mandos_13 Posts: 21
    Options
    I think it's a catholic thing? My mom goes to church on ask Wednesday but she doesn't give up anything for lent. She's Lutheran

I was raised Lutheran and we always gave something up for Lent and attended church every Wednesday the entire season. Might depend on the flavor of Lutheran (ELCA for us). No one would have looked twice if someone else in the congregation didn't give something up and/or didn't attend Wednesday services, though.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I just read that you can abandon your Lent on Sundays?! Doesn't seem right, I have never done that.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    My lent sacrifice is a secret :wink:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I just read that you can abandon your Lent on Sundays?! Doesn't seem right, I have never done that.

Yes, since the Sabbath is a feast day/rest day. The 40 days of sacrifice exclude Sundays, hence why Lent lasts about six weeks. There are certain traditionalists that will also exclude St. Patrick's Day from Lent, but that usually depends on who you talk to.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    This shall be a no *kitten* lent for me, lol...well, that's the plan at least.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,065 Member
    Options

No I haven't either.

Even if it is theoretically correct, I like my foregone thing to be foregone for continuous time.

Has more impact that way.