Does anyone else crave sugar ONLY after eating it?

Options
The only times I crave sugar is after I something containing it and it's really annoying because it turns into a full-out sugar binge and is derailing my weight loss goals. The practical thing to do is to avoid sugar but that isn't always possible and I've found that even little things such as raisins and fruit have the same effect on me. I'll get super shaky and light-headed and have to reach for more sugar to stop the shakiness.

Is there anything else I can eat to counter-act this effect? Have you experienced something like this?

Replies

• mrsgoochy
    mrsgoochy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I can't attest to this but I can tell you that craving sugar is an indicator that you're dehydrated. I love interesting facts like that :)
  • Lea_8D
    Lea_8D Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The only times I crave sugar is after I something containing it and it's really annoying because it turns into a full-out sugar binge and is derailing my weight loss goals. The practical thing to do is to avoid sugar but that isn't always possible and I've found that even little things such as raisins and fruit have the same effect on me. I'll get super shaky and light-headed and have to reach for more sugar to stop the shakiness.

Is there anything else I can eat to counter-act this effect? Have you experienced something like this?

Have you been tested for hypoglycemia? I used to have a problem with that years ago, and would have those symptoms especially if I hadn't eaten in a while and then had only sugar and/or caffeine. It would trigger an excess of insulin, causing blood sugar to drop too low. Anyway, you could try to make sure to eat some protein along with the sweet stuff to avoid the "crash".