Couch to 5K

Options
I am on week 6, just completing the full 20 min without stopping (according to my app). I am currently running on the treadmill at at 3.6 speed (my 5'9, 270lb frame cannot go much faster). Should I work on increasing my speed before I move on, or keep going to get it finished? I love that I can jog consistently, but I have a 5k coming up in April and I'm worried I won't make a decent time. However, my main focus is just finishing it completely jogging. Thoughts?
Thanks (:

Replies

• Megabozz
    Megabozz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to complete the program at whatever pace you feel comfortable with and worry about speed later. Just focus on finishing your first 5k and enjoying the atmosphere and experience, there is plenty of time to get faster as you continue to run. Whatever time you get on your first 5k will be the number to beat next time. Congrats on making it through the 20 min run on c25k! I went through the program at the beginning of this year and it was one of the best things I've ever done.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I would agree. Speed takes time and consistency to develop and pushing it too fast too soon is a good way to get injured

Congrats on getting to week 6! Keep it up
  • sesquive
    sesquive Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Take it slow is the best way to go; I just pulled a groin muscle trying to be a hero and increase my running time. BIG mistake. also, stretch and warm-ups are a must. I have learned my lesson.
  • simonmcdonald564
    Options
    Fantastic program, it's how I started running 12 months ago.
    If you read the articles on the plan it does not guarantee to get you running 5k in 30 minutes. . . . What it does say is that you will be able to run for 30 minutes at the end of the 9 week plan
    Also speed does not burn fat, slower heart rate is more beneficial to fat burn. Get a heart rate monitor, I use the Blue Wahoo for my iphone5. Keep with the plan and you will see the weight drop.
    Good luck
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    I couldn't have said it better than Megabozz!
    Set 2 goals for your first race: run the whole distance, and finish!
    I had set another goal for my first race: not be the last one to arrive... but that was quite easy with over 2000 people participating.
    Your next race will have as goal to run faster than before.

Be prepared to run for 35 to 40 minutes for your 5K, but enjoy all of it!
  • BrendanScrote
    BrendanScrote Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Well done Sir, i would heartily echo all that has been said above ...

I'm a big guy too, started off at a similar weight to yourself and it has taken 14 weeks rather than eight but I am currently on week 8 and (32lbs down) I certainly worry about my speed and feel more like I will be able to run 40 minutes rather than 5K when I finish but hey I struggled to run for 2 minutes in November

One thing I would say is to get running outside ASAP ... I started on the treadmill and my first few runs outside (week 6 I think) were a disaster for me ....It's a whole different ball game is running outside ... having said that once I got my head round it I loved running outside, so much more to do, to observe and smell ... easier to set yourself targets and goals too
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Finish it, then work on speed. I did it a few years ago, and hope to do it again soon.

As others have mentioned, don't go too hard too soon. It will naturally get easier as you get fitter and lose weight. I pushed it too hard one day and did something awful to my hip, I couldn't run again for weeks. :frown:
  • cmsmj1
    cmsmj1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Well done Sir, i would heartily echo all that has been said above ...

I'm a big guy too, started off at a similar weight to yourself and it has taken 14 weeks rather than eight but I am currently on week 8 and (32lbs down) I certainly worry about my speed and feel more like I will be able to run 40 minutes rather than 5K when I finish but hey I struggled to run for 2 minutes in November

One thing I would say is to get running outside ASAP ... I started on the treadmill and my first few runs outside (week 6 I think) were a disaster for me ....It's a whole different ball game is running outside ... having said that once I got my head round it I loved running outside, so much more to do, to observe and smell ... easier to set yourself targets and goals too

This^^ Get running outside asap - and be prepared for it to be different and harder than the treadmill
  • sabrinawrn
    sabrinawrn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the awesome advice. I will keep going and enjoy the fact that I'm running more than I ever have! Thanks again!!

As soon as the weather picks a personality, I will definitely be running outside.
  • teaparty75
    teaparty75 Posts: 170
    Options
    i'm right behind you - just completed week 5 day 2 and i was estatic about being about being able to sustain the 8 min run LOL ...i use the treadmil and make it a point to run outside atleast once or twice a week - if you want a real feel of race day , go outside , you'll be amazed at how well you do once you get used to it !! my ONLY goal for my upcoming 5k is to run the whole thing - if you run the whole thing you certainly won't come in last !!
  • kwlmson
    kwlmson Posts: 12
    Options
    Just finished Week 3 Day 2. This is actually my second day of C25, I accidently started on week 3 my first day. Felt good so decided not to restart at week 1. I had been walking at a 13.5 mph pace for 45 mins for 2 months before I started.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

really awesome post for new runners that was recently created - please enjoy!
  • GBH1612
    GBH1612 Posts: 1
    Options
    I completed C25K about 6 weeks ago and was delighted to have made it all the way through without too many issues. Since completing however, I have had nothing but problem after problem with colds, injuries etc.

Picked up again last week and was planning to run for 35 mins, only made 20mins on first run, 10mins on second and feel as though all the good work I accomplished in completing C25K has somewhat gone to waste.

Anyone else found it to be a struggle after having succeeded on the plan?

All my running to date has been on treadmill and suspect it is more a mental issue than a fitness problem!