On the Paleo Diet - Should I even look at fat intake?

Hi,

So I just started the paleo diet. I've NEVER gone over my fat intake when I was eating (limited) gluten and dairy. Now, I'll be 200cal under my daily limit of 1,200 and have already gone over my fat intake by 1-5 grams.

Should I even worry about this? Its hard not to notice the big red -5 of shame, LOL. I heard paleo is pretty much based on fat but if I want to lose weight (15-20lbs) , is that going to work for me?

Thanks (:

Replies

• jeslamb10
    jeslamb10 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, don't look at your fat at all, and never worry if it seems high. Pretty soon you'll start to feel a bit lethargic as your body starts to withdrawal from your old eating habits, and that's when you'll really want to increase your fat intake to boost energy. Here's a good blog post about the common misconceptions about fat: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/high-fat-diet-healthy-safe/. Good luck! I'm on day 10 of the Whole 30 after eating mostly paleo for about a month prior. It will get easier - I promise! :)
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    For most people, eating Paleo or Primal generally translates to lowish carbs (10-20%), moderate protein (20-30%) and high fat (50-60%). For those looking to add strength, they make sure they get a certain amount of protein in to facilitate muscle repair (usually at least 0.7 g per lb bodyweight). For those looking to lose fat, they try to keep the carbs low -- usually under 100 g/day, some go even under 50 g depending on their goals and how their own personal carb sensitivity. For those looking to maintain or improve performance, they tend to have more carbs (100+) to fuel the exercise.

For me, I'm looking to increase strength and cut fat, so I aim for 50-80 carbs per day and making sure I get my protein. The rest is fat, which usually ends up being 50-60% as a general rule.

Most don't worry about fat at all, but it can make a difference in relation to your carb and protein intake depending on your goals.