Portion Control

Options
Anyone doing the 21 Day Fix? I'd like to try a challenge group for this one. I haven't done it yet but I have heard good things so far and mine is on order. Thinking a start date of March 9th - 20 days before I go to Florida!

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Am afraid I don't know about this fix. Can you explain?
  • omatga
    omatga Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    it's a workout program that comes with various workouts that are each thirty minutes but the cool part is that it's based on portion control. You get all these color coded containers and depending on what your make up or target calorie and nutritient goal is, you are alloted so many certain colored containers and each one is for a different type of food. Kind of hard to explain but for me, the working out is the easy part. The nutrition is what's hard to I'm hoping this 21 day thing might be just enough to get me back on track and not over eat! Supposedly you can still have some treats, like wine and chocolate (a must have for me) and there's a restaurant guide if you go out to eat.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Yikes, sounds hideous to me! Eating right shouldn't (and isn't) difficult - it just isn't always easy. If this is what you need to jump start doing it on your own, as long as it is giving you adequate nutrition, then have fun, I suppose. I think it is way easier to just set up MFP, hit your fat and protein goals along with your calorie goals, and not worry about coloured containers and food allotments?
  • omatga
    omatga Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree for sure over long term!! I have always been really bad about following "diets". I just try to eat clean (but don't judge today's diary, I'm on a work trip and my food choices are limited, lol!) and I usually do pretty well. I just kind of like the idea of trying this right before a vacay and I do think when I stray off track, something like this would help get me used to eating the right portions. I'll let you know if I survive! :)
  • lmramos44
    lmramos44 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been on a liquid diet for 20 days, I am down 16 pounds in that time, but man it is tough! Doing this for 30 days to jump start my way to my goal of losing 60 pounds..........
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I have been on a liquid diet for 20 days, I am down 16 pounds in that time, but man it is tough! Doing this for 30 days to jump start my way to my goal of losing 60 pounds..........

I sincerely hope you are under a doctor's care. That is a really fast loss. The best thing you can do is learn portion control with the foods you like to eat. Build habits around eating well and exercising.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options

How does one "jump start"?

Why do you not eat real food?
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Back to OP. Sounds like it might help you learn portion control. I have just used a food scale and regular plastic measuring cups etc. What ever works to help you learn proper portions. And yes - Wine and Chocolate are a must for me, as well as pie and cookies (occasionally). Portion control for me was the key!!!!
    Good luck!!!
  • lmramos44
    Options
    Thanks for your concern, off the liquid and continuing my journey. My goal is to lose 60 pounds by September, and I agree that portion control and a active lifestyle is the road to follow. Thanks.
  • lmramos44
    Options
    I am eating "real food" now, but for me, I needed to get past that first 15 pounds and a medically supervised liquid diet works for ME. Everyone is different and should not try any restrictive diet without it being under a doctors supervision.
  • lmramos44
    Options
    Go on a medically supervised liquid fast. John Muir medical offers a nice program.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Colored containers sound like a real pain. I have a ton of boring Rubbermaid containers and a food scale. Building a salad? Put the Tupperware on the scale. Zero out the scale. Add the first ingredient. Scan the barcode into MFP. Enter the oz/grams. Zero out the scale. Add the next ingredient. Repeat. The major failure of container systems is that they are not accurate. So you know you can have one tiny purple container of cheese? They measured the container to be 4 oz (standard serving of cheese). Well, 4 oz of triple cream Brie is going to have waaaay more calories, fat, etc than 4 oz of feta. Also- how do you know if you added 4 oz and not 3.79 oz? It's imprecise, which is dangerous with calorie-dense foods.
  • BackInTheSaddle13
    BackInTheSaddle13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I eat real food but I have had to get a handle on portion control myself. I got a low cost digital food scale and a few sets of measuring spoons and cups. I measure and count everything. Sometimes it's a pain in the butt BUT I've started to learn what a serving is.

I will tell you this is hands down the hardest part of weight loss for me. I have no issue with the exercise, I actually find it a huge stress relief, but getting a handle on food is another story.

It has taken me a long time and admittedly I still fall off the wagon but I am learning to listen to my body. What's my level of hunger and what's my level of full? At what point does my body feel and work it's best?

I think I have a bit of food addict in me and so I'm having to learn new healthier habits. It's not overnight but just take it day by day. Little by little it will just become habit for you!
  • lmramos44
    Options
    It sounds like you have found what works for you. Stay strong. Good Luck.
  • ashleysarvi
    Options
    Portion Control has been my most difficult task. I have a good appetite..lol so I have to play around with numbers. i usually measure everything but my veggies those I kinda eyeball just because they are so low in cal. I try to plan my whole days meal the day before that way i can adjust (take away a few calories here add a few there) this seems to work best for me. and i tend to load up the veggies keeps my fuller longer eaten with a protein.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Colored containers sound like a real pain. I have a ton of boring Rubbermaid containers and a food scale. Building a salad? Put the Tupperware on the scale. Zero out the scale. Add the first ingredient. Scan the barcode into MFP. Enter the oz/grams. Zero out the scale. Add the next ingredient. Repeat. The major failure of container systems is that they are not accurate. So you know you can have one tiny purple container of cheese? They measured the container to be 4 oz (standard serving of cheese). Well, 4 oz of triple cream Brie is going to have waaaay more calories, fat, etc than 4 oz of feta. Also- how do you know if you added 4 oz and not 3.79 oz? It's imprecise, which is dangerous with calorie-dense foods.

you should see how much cheese I can compact into one little container! :laugh:
    I think I could turn carbon into diamonds with the force I use!
    (I am joking, I weigh or use pre measured cheese)