How to deal with guilt

Options
I have recently lost about 4 pounds (hurray!) and today I rewarded myself with a slice of pizza. Including the pizza I still only ate around 1300 calories today which is just under my net goal (1200-1350) but now I feel really guilty. I hate that, I know its not true but subconsciously I feel like I gained all the weight back in one sitting. It kind of makes you want to throw in the towel. Im not going to be I need ways to keep myself motivated deal with the guilt.

Replies

• Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This is a lifestyle change, not a "till I get to goal" change. You are very unlikely to give up pizza for your whole life if it's a food you like so it's important to get used to incorporating that into your diet, which you did.

You shouldn't feel guilty, but instead feel rather proud of yourself. You fit in a food you like, yet still stayed within calorie goals. That's success.

(with the extra salt, there's a good chance of retaining water for a day or two. Don't take an increase in scale to heart as it's not "real weight")
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Try to think of it as "Woot! I ate pizza and it fit in my daily goal! I can totally do this!"
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a treat every now and then, especially if you fit it into your daily goals. Great job!

If you'd like to talk more, I'd be happy to lend an ear.

Allan
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You have no reason whatsoever to feel guilty! Have you murdered someone? Inflicted physical harm on someone? committed a criminal offence? No, you had a slice of pizza, and it fit into your goal (which is pretty low, tbh, it is more sustainable to aim for 1Ib a week loss).Feeling guilt about eating, whatever the food or quantity, serves no useful function other than to build you an unhealthy relationship with food. Save your guilt for things that actually warrant guilt.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Never feel guilty - it sounds like you made a goal celebrated the win and now you regret the decision. Just learn from it - it sounds like that a food reward is going to tend to make you feel guilty this could be a Freddo Frog or a whole pizza. I would replace your short term rewards non-food related.

Also (and I am also guilty of this) you still are holding onto the idea that there is "good and bad" food. Food is just food - our own perception is what makes us think it is "bad" food.

You are doing great - and it sounds like you love pizza and worked out a way to fit it into your target calories.
  • msdeb424
    msdeb424 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Great self-awareness! A friend wisely pointed out to me today that trying to be "perfect" equals failure. I get stuck in the good and bad food mindset too. Hope you find a way to have guilt free food that gives you pleasure. :flowerforyou:
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I completely understand the guilt. I have been through that many times and let me tell you.. feeling guilty accomplishes nothing! It's okay to enjoy food and that's part of learning to live a healthy balanced lifestyle. If you think you need to, just work out a teeny bit longer or eat a bit lighter tomorrow but don't feel guilty. One thing isn't going to undo you. The only bad thing is to hold onto such negative feelings. Let em go sister!