I put 87octane gas in my car that is 91+ octane

Options
by accident.

Will my engine explode? i drove home and parked my car in the garage (gas station is only 1km away from my house thank god) I'm afraid to drive my car to work tomorrow because i dont want my engine to break

Should i take out all the gas from the gas tank?

If i drive my car to the dealership tomorrow to get the gas pumped out of the tank do you think it will be safe to drive the distance (20km)?

Please respect the serious question, Im not a car expert

Thanks in advance

Replies

• trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Nothing will happen. Marginally decreased performance.
  • D_T_H
    D_T_H Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    just google octane booster you can add it to your tank if your overly concerned
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Your engine has already been irreparably damaged just from driving home from the gas station.
  • CometMeebru
    CometMeebru Posts: 122
    Options
    Your engine has already been irreparably damaged just from driving home from the gas station.

okay so how do you suggest i go about fixing it?
  • D_T_H
    D_T_H Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    it wont hurt your car
  • courtneylee31
    courtneylee31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    The only thing that will happen is a possible preignition. Just don't hit the gas hard and you wont have much problem. Put 91 in ASAP though
  • JefferyArnold
    JefferyArnold Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    It will not hurt your car at all. Depending on the car it may even take care of any issue related to knock if it senses something wrong it will retard the timing to prevent damage. Most vehicles that 'require' 91 octane are listed as such more for user safety and not actual necessity.

As a side, unless you are running a super high compression motor or boosted to the hilt, you are fine. Both my BMW and Ducati are supposed to run on 91... most people don't run it.
  • Be4stm0de
    Be4stm0de Posts: 103
    Options
    :happy: It'll be fine, when I had my BMW, I did that a couple of times, decreases performance, but not enough for you to notice in normal day to day driving. I did however smell gas when my car was parked when I used 87 octane, so after that, I stuck to premium. I now drive a Mercedes and I've never put anything less than 91 in it. Hope this helps.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    knocking. If your car is turbocharge there will be a decrease in power and some slight knocking. But, your engine won't necessarily die lol. Just don't do it again
  • Ace1313
    Ace1313 Posts: 17
    Options
    You will be okay lol just don't do it again
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You'll probably get some knocking/pinging from it misfiring a bit. Its kinda like your body going from filtered water to tap all of a sudden.

Your mileage will go down a touch as a result also.
  • JefferyArnold
    JefferyArnold Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Just to add more fuel to the fire... the Ethanol in your fuel does more harm to your vehicle then the octane rating. It is also decreasing your fuel mileage.

Fuel is funny and one of those misunderstood sciences.
  • trojan_bb
    Options
    Cars built in this century should have a knock sensor. But even if it doesn't, one tank of gas is not much to even worry about
  • CometMeebru
    CometMeebru Posts: 122
    Options
    Cars built in this century should have a knock sensor. But even if it doesn't, one tank of gas is not much to even worry about

what is a knock sensor? this is a 2012 IS350 f sport
  • trojan_bb
    Options

what is a knock sensor? this is a 2012 IS350 f sport

You are fine. It will auto adjust the timing.

And if it didn't, you;'d still be fine
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    You will be just fine. Just use up that gas and use the normal gas 91+ next time .. no damage done.