Yet another NROLFW Question!

Options
Hi guys I'm just hoping I could get a little help. I've never been to the gym I've only worked out at home doing a lot of cardio and HIIT training(due to me not knowing better). I weigh 104 pounds and am 5'2 although I'm not overweight I do have a lot of extra fat and no muscle mass at all. This time I wanted to start things out right with lifting yayyy! Now I do not have the book yet but I do plan on getting it so my questions are:

1. Should I start with free weights with my squats instead of a machine? I have really weak upper body strength (currently at home i lift 2.5kg dumbells)and no not because I'm afraid but because I am terribly weak. I'm just worried about squatting with the standard 45 pound bar with the machine so i'm thinking with my 2.5 kg weights I don't have the strength to start off there.

2. I am so lost when it comes to nutrition in terms of calories, I don't eat bad I just never eat enough. I'm not sure if i should be eating more since I am pretty thin but have no muscle or if i should be eating less to lower that body fat percentage and then eat more.

It would really help me out a lot with answering any of these i've looked through the forum and couldn't find answers to this specifically but found similar questions.

Replies

• courtneylee31
    courtneylee31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    1. I would start with any machines. Just to get used to the movements and build a bit of strength. Then move on the the free weights after awhile to get the stability muscles working. Instead of squats with free weights for now I would use the hack squat machine or leg press. Squats are much different with weights rather than just body weight. You may be able to squat forever with just body weight. Add a 45lb bar and technique goes out the window if you are not strong enough. I watch people squat wrong every day.

2. Eat more protein. If you believe you eat healthy but cant lose body fat you may need more protein. Quinoa is a great protein if you want to avoid meat.

Don't pay attention to calories if you are trying to gain... Just keep eating, I know power lifters eating 3500-5000+ calories a day. If they stop eating that much they start to lose weight. Pay attention to body fat though. If that rises then something is wrong in your diet.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am going to go against the machines. With the free weights you use a lot of the stabilizer muscles that don't get used with the machines. If the 45 lbs bar is too heavy for you, you can use the fixed bar weights. They look like this:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2nl1n5kI10uLyP_Mwp947ZaAykknR6Sw0wqltZA3GdEU5Xa3yylh-Yv8
    Those go all the way from 10 lbs to 100+ lbs, and they are a good starting area if an empty bar is too heavy.
  • GhostGIrl66
    Options
    My best advice to you re weight training would be to book 1 or 2 sessions with a trainer, get them to write you a full body program and walk you through it with correct technique.

There is nothing wrong with starting our doing squats with just body weight or dumb bells, even kettle bells. Once you have built some basic strength and good technique it is time to move on to the bar weights.

Correct technique is essential to avoid injury in the long run. Your gym may even have a session with a trainer as a freebie on joining up and some gyms will even include regular program refreshes as well so you can keep on developing strength with some variety.

Cheers
    GG
  • New2Lift
    New2Lift Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for all your input it really helps me out a lot! I have definitely been reading a lot about weight lifting just to make sure I have the proper information before even stepping into a gym. I have already picked a gym to join and they do offer a free session but I just wanted to ask here first.

Also since it would be too expensive for me to afford any sessions at the moment I will be working out on my own and wanted to know if it would be a good idea for me to start a program like the NROLFW?
  • New2Lift
    Options
    Thanks for all your input it really helps me out a lot! I have definitely been reading a lot about weight lifting just to make sure I have the proper information before even stepping into a gym. I have already picked a gym to join and they do offer a free session but I just wanted to ask here first.

Also since it would be too expensive for me to afford any sessions at the moment I will be working out on my own and wanted to know if it would be a good idea for me to start a program like the NROLFW?
  • MzHornedOne
    MzHornedOne Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am going to go against the machines. With the free weights you use a lot of the stabilizer muscles that don't get used with the machines. If the 45 lbs bar is too heavy for you, you can use the fixed bar weights. They look like this:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2nl1n5kI10uLyP_Mwp947ZaAykknR6Sw0wqltZA3GdEU5Xa3yylh-Yv8
    Those go all the way from 10 lbs to 100+ lbs, and they are a good starting area if an empty bar is too heavy.

This all the way!

Be sure you are getting TONS of protein and a protein shake/bar 30 max after your workout.

I am doing NROLFW atm and I get no less that 150g of protein a day.

Make sure you eat! I am 5'4" and eat 1800 calories when I don't workout and 2160 when I do.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options

I started NROLFW without any help. I highly recommend looking up the exercises on YouTube before you go to see what the form is supposed to be like. Start with the lightest possible weights to try out the motion (for squats and deads, just lift the bar, for lunges and such just do it without a weight at all).

Also there is a NROLFW group here on MyFitnessPal - there's tons of information in there and people will be able to answer more specific questions as you go through the program. Good luck!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford a trainer, then look on youtube for videos on form, and also exrx.net has video clips and explanations on their site. I did it at home with dumbbells, and found substitutions for the things that required a machine. I think you'll get more benefit squatting with free weights over machines. Try to get your form down with just bodyweight or lighter weights so you don't injure yourself.
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    The gym should offer you orientation to the machines. They can at least show you the basics, or they should, so you know how to properly use the machines. It's better to learn a technique correctly from the start!! Once you're there, you'll notice others working out. One's that have been doing it for awhile. I've asked a question or two, while they're between sets. I have yet to have anyone seem bothered. Most are happy to help, offer advice, and give a tip or two :-) Good luck!!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

I started NROLFW without any help. I highly recommend looking up the exercises on YouTube before you go to see what the form is supposed to be like. Start with the lightest possible weights to try out the motion (for squats and deads, just lift the bar, for lunges and such just do it without a weight at all).

Also there is a NROLFW group here on MyFitnessPal - there's tons of information in there and people will be able to answer more specific questions as you go through the program. Good luck!

I think there's more than one group for this, but this one has links to the pre-filled worksheets, which will make doing the exercises a lot less confusing. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • Beautifulreflections
    Beautifulreflections Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Here is a tip mysteriously missing from a weight lifting program for women (at least for beginners)

Do NOT wear heels the day after squats if you are required to walk up or down steps. I wish that little tidbit of information was in the book. I learned the hard way :sad:

ETA: I realize this is a bit off topic but whenever I see NROLFW questions its the only tip I have!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I completed NROL4W and loved it! Stay away from the machines and stick to free weights. If you're too weak to use the barbell for squats or deadlifts, start out with dumbbells. You can watch videos on YouTube to perfect your form.

Here's a link to a group of women following the program.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • New2Lift
    Options
    This all the way!

Be sure you are getting TONS of protein and a protein shake/bar 30 max after your workout.

I am doing NROLFW atm and I get no less that 150g of protein a day.

Make sure you eat! I am 5'4" and eat 1800 calories when I don't workout and 2160 when I do.
    [/quote]

Thanks! I am definetly not getting enough protein and I do eat quite a bit of carbs so I'll try cutting back on the carbs and up protein intake.
  • New2Lift
    Options
    Here is a tip mysteriously missing from a weight lifting program for women (at least for beginners)

Do NOT wear heels the day after squats if you are required to walk up or down steps. I wish that little tidbit of information was in the book. I learned the hard way :sad:

ETA: I realize this is a bit off topic but whenever I see NROLFW questions its the only tip I have!

haha I'll keep that in mind since I do wear heels, sounds like a deadly