Hurt my calf doing HIIT

Options
moriaht
moriaht Posts: 251 Member
Two days ago I started doing interval training. I only did 3 km of running and then 250m sprints at the end of every km. I am not in the best shape, so yesterday when I went for my run I could only do 2km and my calf KILLED! It hurt all night and felt a bit better today. I just did Level 1 30 day shred and after the jump rope (around 1 minute) I had to stop and just skipped the cardio portion for the rest of the work out. Now it is cramping and hurts like crazy.

Now my question: How long should i wait before I run again? I know I shouldn't be on it for a while, it's not an after workout pain, it feels like an injury pain (I injured myself a few years ago doing the same thing, then went for a 7k run and couldnt run for 2 months!)
Also, what can I do for cardio while it heals that wont target my calves?

Replies

• HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing sprints?
  • moriaht
    Options
    I work out with a friend who does them, figured three 250m sprints wouldn't kill me.. She is in better shape than me evidently!
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    You need to tape it up and let it rest a bit.
    I know this is not what you want to hear, but rest is key when you have an injury.

I have an injured knee and am trying my best to take it slow, so I'm no longer running, just doing insane incline at the gym instead.
    I did, however, get a strange cramp in the middle of the night about 4 or 5 days ago, so my leg is also taped up. Right calf. I caved and bought the tape today. I couldn't do it with the pain. I can now.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I work out with a friend who does them, figured three 250m sprints wouldn't kill me.. She is in better shape than me evidently!

It's a general rule of thumb that you should get a decent mileage base before doing any speed work, my guess is that's why you hurt yourself.

Rest it.
  • moriaht
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. What cardio can I do without using my calves?
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Arms with low weights.
  • moriaht
    Options
    Arms with low weights.

Thanks for the help! I will try taping too :) Hope your knee gets better too!
  • courtneylee31
    courtneylee31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You can turn weights into cardio. Body weight exercises can be cardio. It is the pace you do them at. You could stand in one spot and hit the punching bag. Hit it as softly and quickly as you can.