I honestly can't stop bingeing on junk after school, help

Options
13»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS did after school. The problem is all the stress you have to deal with all day. You get home and just want comfort. Best idea is to hurry up and sneak a workout in for that hour when you get home from school instead of eating. Then eat after. Any money, because you worked out you won't want to ruin the progress by pigging out. Good luck! :D

Definitely. It's weird because if I'm angry or upset the last thing I think about is junk food because it makes me feel happy and I don't want to feel happy at that precise moment. I see junk as comfort when I get home though, I actually look forward to it in the last hour of school thinking 'not long now before I get to eat chocolate, ice cream, cake, candy etc' and just the thought gets me happier, I guess it's time to find other things to look forward to now!

To tell you the truth, I used to be that way too, and still can be, looking forward to the treats. I have had to work on how I think about food. Now I don't restrict myself, I do still eat treats, but I make them fit into my calories for the day. So, maybe that means just one pack of peanut m&m's out of the vending machine for 250 calories instead of two which I would normally want to eat. I also think of it now as fuel. I know that I will have a better workout if I am fueling my body properly, that means getting enough protein/fats/carbs. You can still eat the "junk", losing weight is all about the number of calories after all, but you will be more full and have more energy with a more balanced diet. Start setting some fitness goals, something else to think about instead of food and something that will guide you towards eating better to improve. Maybe it will be just walking a mile further, or jogging, or being able to do a real pushup, then 5 pushups, then 10 and ever increasing. Whatever it is that you like and will do, it doesn't really matter what exercise it is.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    why not eat dinner earlier than plan a before bed snack?? we started eating at four or five no later and it has helped out a lot. if not my husband tries to eat everything in site after work. as far as birthday cake goes. don't eat the whole thing if you don't want to. have a tiny bit. or ... preplan it in your day. as far as the upcoming fast food restaurant tour goes.. wtf. don't they let you choose where to go on your own birthday?? ask for a place that at least has their menu on a website so you can preplan for that as well.
    Have better snacks at home to eat. greek yougurt, single serve peanut butters with celery, protein bars, pack of oatmeal, an apple or other fruit, celery and salsa (its great trust me) Staying in control begins in the grocery store.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Typically early evening when I get back from work is my low point. Instead of waiting for a socially acceptable time (i.e. 7-9pm) to eat dinner and then end up bingeing on junk, I just eat a lightish dinner straight away then go to the gym. I have a post gym snack late evening (10pm). This is a recent development but seems to work for me.
    (My dinner is pre-made and in the fridge so it takes 5 minutes to heat up). Difficult if you live at home but if you had a stash of fruit (apples are quite good - sweet with lots of water and fibre) that would help. It also sounds counterintuitive but if you let yourself have a little bit of 'junk' earlier in the day (i.e. a cookie at lunchtime) you'll have better reserves of willpower later in the day to resist the junk in the house.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    why not eat dinner earlier than plan a before bed snack?? we started eating at four or five no later and it has helped out a lot. if not my husband tries to eat everything in site after work. as far as birthday cake goes. don't eat the whole thing if you don't want to. have a tiny bit. or ... preplan it in your day. as far as the upcoming fast food restaurant tour goes.. wtf. don't they let you choose where to go on your own birthday?? ask for a place that at least has their menu on a website so you can preplan for that as well.
    Have better snacks at home to eat. greek yougurt, single serve peanut butters with celery, protein bars, pack of oatmeal, an apple or other fruit, celery and salsa (its great trust me) Staying in control begins in the grocery store.
    Haha should have read this. Said everything better than I could.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    You could just throw out the junk food. How many times would you have to do that before your parents got the hint and quit wasting money on stuff you throw out?

I tried to throw it out once but I felt really guilty even though I probably shouldn't. Instead, I've been giving it to my friends, siblings and parents once their junk food stashes have run out since I tend to have tons of unopened junk lying around everywhere these days.

seems like a huge waste of money to me. cant you go with them and pick out better stuff to eat? apparently they are the food buyers. start telling them you don't like those things anymore and something else is your favorite. this is exactly why kids are turning out obese these days: everyone has a "stash" of junkfood? not when my kids lived in the house. Even though they are pretty much grown, I would flip if they had food all up in their drawers like freaking mice trying to attract bugs. I don't know what to tell you on why parents do what they do. YOu do have the control of what goes in your room and what goes in your mouth. Be strong. Its that person in the mirror that will be with you for the rest of your life. Now do you want a long or a short life? Sugars and carbs only lead to a shorter life. Just saying.
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Try a change in routine. Do not go home straight after school. Stay out of your house, take a walk around the neighbourhood or park just for half an hour till the cravings goes away. Train your mind NOT to expect food straight away after returning from school. I find this works marvellously for my case.
  • cassylee
    cassylee Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had a problem like that years ago, but it was when I got off work at 11 pm. I'd go home and start snacking.

After months of trying to control myself and mostly failing, one day I got a new idea. I decided to start a new habit by going in a different door. Instead of going in the front door, I went to the back of the house and entered through the back door. Then I went upstairs, got into my pajamas and/or robe, and turned on the television to watch an episode of MASH. After MASH, if I really felt hungry, I'd go back downstairs to have a small snack, like a piece of cheese and an apple or yogurt. I think it was going in the back door that made the big difference. It broke me out of my rut.

Actually this lady has a point. I would go to my mum's place and the first thing I will do is look in the fridge even though I had not lived there for several years. Any smoker or drinker will have tried to quit, says it is the habit that brings them back. I smoke for 8 years and quit 50 times before I actually quit. The problem with my food addiction is you still have to eat.

So I think there are good pointers in these thread
    1) Give your parents a shopping list of foods you want to eat that are good for you and talk to them again. Maybe you have a relative or adult who understands what you are trying to do that may be able to talk to your parents and give them a different spective on eating healthy foods
    2) Eat more at breakfast and school. You most likely are exercising more than you think and your body needs more fuel. Plus you are still growing and changing that takes a lot of energy as well. I am not say to go over board but to eat a little bit more protein and fibre each day will help.
    3) take afternoon tea with you and then go to the park or go in a different door. Eat that afternoon tea rather than going to the kitchen. Destress some other way and break the habit. It takes about a few weeks of constantly change to change a Habit. And the best way to substitute that habit for something else.

I hope this helps

Also - glucose and Fructose make up sugar. It is the Fructose that is just as addictive as smoking or drinking. You may want to research this. It may help.
  • TansieEye
    TansieEye Posts: 25
    Options
    Every time I wanted to snack or sleep when it wasn't time to, I took a walk around the block or popped in an exercise DVD or even just did sit ups. Every time. For a month. Then I stopped wanting to do It. I have certain times I can snack and eat meals and I log everything. I also have my calorie settings to only lose a pound a week. I've only lost 11 pounds since November, but I don't binge anymore. I've lost two sizes because I also exercise. I eat whatever I want to. I just have to scale back the portions to meet my daily calories number. If I want Pop Tarts, I can either eat 6-7 of them in one sitting and hit my daily max calories, or I can eat 1 and have other meals. Simpke.
  • smand2000
    smand2000 Posts: 88
    Options
    Sometimes, I just want to munch away. Baby carrots, snap peas, chopped celery, chopped peppers, tablespoon of hummus (flavored or not). And chew to your heart's content. Eventually, hopefully, surprise, this is what you will start to look forward to.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What is your current weight and height? Is it possible your parents think you need more calories?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    How can we help? By telling you not to do it?
  • gypsyone96
    gypsyone96 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Instead of "eating clean all" the time, why don't you try a program called IIFYM/flexible dieting? People who follow this program calculate their daily macros (protein, carbs, fat grams) and then eat to fill those up, no more, no less. I've been on IIFYM for a while now and at the end of the day I can have a Poptart or a hug bowl of cereal + peanut butter chocolate oreos because it fits my macros :)

I used to "eat clean" and then BINGE like crazy because I was eating boring food all day long (chicken breast, steamed veggies, tilapia, etc...) and it was driving me crazy. So I would binge and then feel bad and tell myself to start over the next day but I did this for so long and so many times that it began to affect my goals.
  • Kezzanna
    Kezzanna Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Start taking on some responsibility yourself.... Dump the junk! Just leave it in your parents room whenever you find it in yours. One night a week - you cook for the family. Find a 'healthy' version of pizza (or whatever) that you think everyone will like (but don't tell them that it's healthy) and cook dinner. If you start preparing this straight after school, it might be ready sooner than normal, but as a result, you probably won't binge.

Start researching some healthy options of your family's favourite foods. Write a shopping list for a couple of dinners that you can cook and do the shopping for them. Whoever cooks dinner will probably be happy that you want to help out. Start once or twice a week and build from there.

If you're busy planning and getting some experience in the kitchen - it will serve you well when you leave home, and as you are organising, you might be too busy to think about the rubbish food around the place.

For other days - have veggie sticks or fruit salad in the fridge ready to go, almonds, low fat yoghurt or cheese, cooked skinless chicken drumsticks, little cans of tuna, popcorn (low salt, no butter version!), make a pot of veggie soup on the weekend keep it in the fridge and eat it whenever you want (use cruskits or other instead of bread with it!), frozen grapes are yummy and 'snacky.' Low fat ice cream can be a good now and then treat.

Most of the fast food places have healthy options available. Research before you go and if they don't have healthy food, eat healthy before you go and only have a small portion at the restaurant.

Eat and enjoy the birthday cake.

This is one of the few times in your life that it will be easier to find time to do these things - use it so you're a healthy adult and can enjoy life to its fullest!