Please please help - been stuck on this for hours

Options
Hi new to this site, I've just made myself a smoked salmon salad and weighed all of the vegies and salmon etc. How do I enter foods by weight i.e.. 33gms smoked salmon, 60gms cucumber etc. I've tried to create a recipee to do it but the values don't allow my grams of weight etc. help!! please going crazy

Replies

• jeneferphillips89
    Options
    Sometimes I have to do quite a bit of searching before I find exactly what I need but usually you can type in something like 'smoked salmon grams' and it should give you some that are in grams. You just might have to do a little math
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    sometimes you have to go on other websites for calories of foods. if its not in the mfp database then you select the create a food and then add in the info. I do this often. The upside is once do this the first time, you have it forever in your food data base.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    You could also go online and convert grams to ounces if you find it in the database that way. Sometimes you need to try different options in the database until you find what you're looking for. It's usually there, though.
  • holleigh26
    Options
    You are all amazing - thanks but extra help needed. I have found all of my salad ingredients in 100gm calorie counts, I then did the maths and worked out what my individual grams were worth in calories, but when I try and add the items to my 'lunch' tracker - It only gives me the option for 100gm amounts so my daily totals are going to be way off for everything - I'm sure I'm missing something yes?? x :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    calorieking.com is good for looking up things in grams and if you need to convert things from grams to calories try this one..

http://www.bupa.com.au/health-and-wellness/tools-and-apps/tools-and-calculators/calorie-converter
  • holleigh26
    Options
    You are so sweet for answering and AMAZING WEIGHT LOSS! But can you step me through how I would add 33 grams of smoked salmon and 60 grams of cucumber (for example) to my daily totals for lunch. Even in create your own food, I've had trouble adding a gram amount attached to a food item. Just so confused and not sure how my totals will be right. cheers!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    You are all amazing - thanks but extra help needed. I have found all of my salad ingredients in 100gm calorie counts, I then did the maths and worked out what my individual grams were worth in calories, but when I try and add the items to my 'lunch' tracker - It only gives me the option for 100gm amounts so my daily totals are going to be way off for everything - I'm sure I'm missing something yes?? x :)

if the serving size is 100g and you ate less than that, then enter the amount of servings as a decimal fraction

e.g. you ate 55g of something, the serving size is 100g, you enter the number of servings as 0.55
  • shanreta
    shanreta Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    If you can find the totals in 100g and you need to add 60g, just change the number of the serving to .6 instead of 1. Same for the smoked salmon, just add .33 instead of 1 serving. That will correct your totals. Also, if there is a 1g measure, instead you could add 33 servings of 1g!
    Welcome to MFP!
  • Kezzanna
    Kezzanna Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if something is listed in 100gm amounts (or whatever), you can click on the 100gm and choose 1gm instead. Then you can enter that you had 60 servings of that 1gm portion.

If all else fails - work out the calories and use the quick added calories function.
  • holleigh26
    Options
    brilliant thanks somuch neandermagnum!
  • holleigh26
    Options
    thanks didn't know about quick added calories function!
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated in the other direction. Grams mean nothing to me (other than I know what they are). I deal with it by bringing up a window for translating from grams to cups … ounces whatever measurement is appropriate. Just do the other direction :) good luck. BTW I love the recipe section on this website.