Labels - read the ingredients!!

Options
Just some "food for thought" ...

I highly encourage everyone to read the ingredients of what they are buying, not just look at the nutrition. General rule - the fewer ingredients, the better. If there's anything in the ingredient list that you don't know what it is, chances are you're better of not eating it! Added sugar can sneak in under many names - you have to read the ingredient list to really see if it has any - you can't just look for the word "sugar". (here's a good link for a whole list of added sugar names: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/added-sugar/MY00845/NSECTIONGROUP=2 )

I'm not trying to say that the less clean/natural foods or the ones with added sugars and salts are evil or horrible for you, but you should know that you almost always have another choice. It's a lot of work taking the time to read the labels and make conscious decisions on what you buy (and sometimes where you buy it, based on what is available where), but If you slowly make changes to the brands/foods you buy, then over time, you will be eating much less added sugars, oils, salt, artificial ingredients, etc. due to the cumulative effect of all the changes you make. Some people don't see why they should bother taking the time when chances are, these added ingredients won't hurt you... but I say, why take the chance?

Even better, the more natural choices are not always more expensive! I've been surprised by how comparable some of the less processed foods are to their more processed counterparts.

Plus, the more people buy the wholesome foods without all the added processed ingredients, the more food manufacturers are going to put more of a focus on improving their products.

Some examples:

1) Yogurt - many yogurts have added sugars, protein concentrates (why??? yogurt with plain milk is just fine!), gelatin and other additives. In my experience, yogurts without all the added stuff is as good, if not better. These examples here are greek and plain - the flavored, regular yogurts tend to be even worse. You can always buy plain and then add your own fruit (and maybe a touch of honey)!

Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt: Ingredients: CULTURED PASTEURIZED NONFAT MILK. CONTAINS FIVE LIVE ACTIVE CULTURES INCLUDING S. THERMOPHILUS, L. BULGARICUS, L. ACIDOPHILUS, BIFIDUS, AND L. CASEI.

Yoplait Plain Greek: INGREDIENTS: CULTURED PASTEURIZED GRADE A NONFAT MILK, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, KOSHER GELATIN, VITAMIN A ACETATE, VITAMIN D3

2) Cereal - I don't eat much cereal anymore - most cereal is so overprocessed that in order to even appear somewhat healthy they have to add back in vitamins and minerals. I'd rather eat it in its less-processed form. It may have less vitamins, but you can get that from the veggies and fruit you should be eating! Here are two different types of wheat cereal - you can see a HUGE difference in ingredients, even though the both are usually considered healthy...

Kelloggs frosted mini wheats:
WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT, SUGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, GELATIN, VITAMINS AND MINERALS: REDUCED IRON, NIACINAMIDE, ZINC OXIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID, AND VITAMIN B12. TO MAINTAIN QUALITY, BHT HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE PACKAGING

Barbara's Shredded Wheat: INGREDIENTS: 100% WHOLE WHEAT.

3) Peanut Butter - real natural peanut butter has one ingredient - Peanuts. Don't be fooled by the "natural" peanut butters that have extra oils, salt, etc. added. Peanut butter made with only peanuts is so much tastier, in my experience.

Krema Natural Creamy Peanut Butter: Ingredients: Peanuts

Jif Natural Creamy Peanut Butter: MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS, SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: PALM OIL, SALT, MOLASSES
4) Egg Substitute - I use egg whites as a substitute occasionally or to supplement my omelets without getting the additional yolks. I don't like to waste egg yolks! There are some brands with additives and some without...

AllWhites Egg Whites: Ingredients: 100% liquid Egg Whites

Egg Beaters: INGREDIENTS: Egg whites (99%), less than 1%: Natural flavor, color (includes beta carotene), spices, salt, onion powder, vegetable gums (xanthan gum, guar gum).

Replies

• Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Nice post and even all that only touches on the tip of the iceburg.

I'm doing a Clean Eating thing myself and it's actually quite difficult to find things which aren't loaded up with Chemicals for one reason or another. Take bread for instance: Off the top of my head....should be Water, Flour, Yeast, Salt, Egg? That'll make a basic dough. So it's disturbing when then "Multi-Grain flax Loaf" in the bakery section has 45 ingredients in it.

That being said...it IS possible to eat clean if you're willing to put in a little more effort.

I personally like the "3 Degrees of Clean Eating" idea from "New Rules of Lifting". Basically, you should be able to visualize whatever you're eating in its natural state in 3 degrees or less. Eg...Hamburger /Ground Beef --> Steak --> Cow.

Now take a Twinkie? How many degrees is it to get to the natural state on the ingredient in one of those?

It's a simple concept, and it pretty easy to be mindful of as well.

Cheers!
  • lupuslady
    Options
    I got my family off margerine and onto butter because of my best friends dr. He told her while he was treating for cancer to stop eating margerine. Look at the labels. Cookies have just very simple items in them, flour , sugar, salt, vanilla, maybe cocoa,eggs maybe milk, but look what other junk they add to "keep them fresh".
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    I eat a pretty clean diet. It's really not that hard (or expensive) if you pay attention.
  • Manda1987
    Options
    Imma go on a rant here. Ignore me if you want, but I need to get this off my chest.

Maybe it's just because I'm a science type, but I think this fear of "chemicals" is overhyped. Every substance on the planet is a chemical. Pure, natural organic cane sugar is a chemical. Water is a chemical otherwise known as dihydrogen monoxide... ooooh, scary. Just because it has a fancy name doesn't mean it's harmful to you.

I read the labels. I steer clear of HFCS because it's unnecessary calories. I don't use artificial sweetener. I've stopped drinking pop. I try to stick to low-sodium. I avoid foods with chemicals known to be harmful to one's health, like MSG. But to sit there and say that eating egg whites with spices and a natural thickening agent is a worse choice than plain egg whites? Honestly. And as for "improving the quality of their products", why do you think the manufacturers put it there in the first place? Because research and taste tests say "Customers want an egg replacement that simulates the taste and texture of a whole egg." IMPROVEMENT, PEOPLE.

This is why I get fed up with some diet people. I had a personal trainer who harassed me for eating any carbs other than fruit. He expected me to live on steamed chicken and steamed vegetables. Healthy eating doesn't have to be flavourless and unenjoyable.

*rant over*
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    Imma go on a rant here. Ignore me if you want, but I need to get this off my chest.

Maybe it's just because I'm a science type, but I think this fear of "chemicals" is overhyped. Every substance on the planet is a chemical. Pure, natural organic cane sugar is a chemical. Water is a chemical otherwise known as dihydrogen monoxide... ooooh, scary. Just because it has a fancy name doesn't mean it's harmful to you.

My concern is that human beings have only been eating preservatives for less than 100 years. Being a "science type" myself, I feel that we as a species haven't really evolved in that amount of time to handle these chemicals in our diet.

And as far as manufacturers "improving the quality of their products," well that's just laughable. They sell convenience, and try to put a healthy spin on it. There is no improvement in the actual quality of the product (from a nutrition stand point).
  • Uptopargolf
    Options

I read the labels. I steer clear of HFCS because it's unnecessary calories. I don't use artificial sweetener. I've stopped drinking pop. I try to stick to low-sodium. I avoid foods with chemicals known to be harmful to one's health, like MSG. But to sit there and say that eating egg whites with spices and a natural thickening agent is a worse choice than plain egg whites? Honestly. And as for "improving the quality of their products", why do you think the manufacturers put it there in the first place? Because research and taste tests say "Customers want an egg replacement that simulates the taste and texture of a whole egg." IMPROVEMENT, PEOPLE.

This is why I get fed up with some diet people. I had a personal trainer who harassed me for eating any carbs other than fruit. He expected me to live on steamed chicken and steamed vegetables. Healthy eating doesn't have to be flavourless and unenjoyable.

*rant over*

I agree. Except on the carb part. Ha. I try to stay clear of many carbs. But hey thats just me.

Anyway, everything has chemicals. Some worse than others, for example diet soda. Really bad. The egg whites example, not so bad. Sweet and low? Bad. Your better off with regular sugar.

And after all, all a diet comes down to is calories in vs. calories out. Your body honestly does not care, or even know the difference. Do certain chemicals hurt your body? Oh yeah. But will eating them effect your weight loss? No.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options

My concern is that human beings have only been eating preservatives for less than 100 years. Being a "science type" myself, I feel that we as a species haven't really evolved in that amount of time to handle these chemicals in our diet.

And as far as manufacturers "improving the quality of their products," well that's just laughable. They sell convenience, and try to put a healthy spin on it. There is no improvement in the actual quality of the product (from a nutrition stand point).

Well before us, our ancestors ate mostly meat, fruit, and veggies. But now the general public and even health professionals say we need xxx amount of carbs a day? When our ancestors got by on barely any. The human body is a amazing machine, and can survive while eating a wide variety of diets, even over a extended period of time.

My point being is; In someway, everything is bad for you. It seems like, nearly everything causes cancer. There is no fool proof way to stay away from all of it.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    And as for "improving the quality of their products", why do you think the manufacturers put it there in the first place? Because research and taste tests say "Customers want an egg replacement that simulates the taste and texture of a whole egg." IMPROVEMENT, PEOPLE.

*rant over*

I guess that's where we differ - I don't see the egg substitute with "natural flavors" (what are the natural flavors?) and thickening agents as an improvement. Sure, the thickener is probably harmless but why is it necessary, really? I don't find there to be anything wrong with the 100% pure egg whites. If I wanted something the flavor/texture of real eggs, I would eat real eggs.

When I avoid processed foods, I don't find that my meals are flavorless or unenjoyable at all. It's actually the other way around - I find I'm enjoying foods even more now that they're not hidden by added sugars, salts, oils, preservatives, and "natural flavors". Do I eat 100% clean? No. Will I ever? Probably not. Do I think you need to eat clean to be fit and generally healthy? No. But I also don't see any reason why I should eat these more highly processed products - I don't miss them at all. I have a feeling that many of our current health problems are caused by the stuff we've been putting in our bodies through food and the environment that doesn't really belong in our bodies. The more of that I can cut out, the better. Is that something that can be proven scientifically? Probably not... but I don't think you'll find any doctor, nutritionist or scientist telling me that I'll be worse-off by trying to eat as clean as possible.

To each his or her own... you'll notice I did say that I'm not calling these processed foods evil or horrible for us. I was just pointing out that you do have a choice. You read labels, but many people don't take the time to do that. All they look at is basic nutrition info. Many people have never given a second thought to consuming this stuff. If someone considers their options and makes an educated choice, then that's great - I'm just hoping that more people start taking the time to really read labels, look up ingredients they don't know about and make those educated decisions.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    I believe most people don't bother with the ingredients because if the FDA says its ok, than well its ok right?! Of course we all know that isn't true. But I think there are enough systems in place that limit the amount of BAD in the even the good food.
  • seemichellerun
    Options

Well before us, our ancestors ate mostly meat, fruit, and veggies. But now the general public and even health professionals say we need xxx amount of carbs a day? When our ancestors got by on barely any. The human body is a amazing machine, and can survive while eating a wide variety of diets, even over a extended period of time.

My point being is; In someway, everything is bad for you. It seems like, nearly everything causes cancer. There is no fool proof way to stay away from all of it.

Actually, our ancestors ate plenty of carbs (fruits and grains). They also didn't have the sedentary lifestyle most of us have today.
  • katikati
    Options
    Yes the products labels on the front say one thing, then read the ingredients and learn just what is in those "Healthy" foods.
  • prestoncaleb
    prestoncaleb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't think our ancestors lived as long.

Maybe the preservatives and stuff is keeping us alive (just kidding)

I do need to drop the artificial sweetener though...and stevia tastes weird to me.

:-)
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I agree with both sides of this argument. I think it's about making an INFORMED decision. Once you learn to read the labels and what the ingredients mean, if you still choose to eat it, that's OK as long as you're making an informed decision. I think a lot of people get in trouble because they have no idea what they're eating, and they don't care.

The jury is still out on the whole added chemical argument, and probably will be for quite some time. As long as you do your homework and make the choice that's best for YOU and your goals and lifestyle, you should do fine.
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    I don't think our ancestors lived as long.

Maybe the preservatives and stuff is keeping us alive (just kidding)

I do need to drop the artificial sweetener though...and stevia tastes weird to me.

:-)

HA! This is true, but they also thought that a layer of "filth" was healthy for you and didn't have things such as indoor plumbing or dental hygiene. But still, I'd rather eat a chicken that was running around on a local farm in the fresh air than one that was genetically engineered in a factory farm and pumped full of growth hormones and never saw sunlight.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    That's something I'm pretty diligent about. I try to eat as cleanly as I can there are exceptions that I make like tortilla wraps because I'm just too lazy to make them on my own and same with pasta and pasta sauces. I do look for the lowest sodium/added sugars and things though. Lots of spinach, cucumbers, carrots, berries, bananas, tomatoes, almonds(a 1KG bag a week) and things like that.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    heavy processing changes the flavor texture and color of a lot of foods, more then that they also tend to remove a lot of nutrients from the original ingredients. most food additives do one of three things: extends shelf life, no briner there. adds nutrient back that were lost in processing. to make the food taste like it would have without the processing.
    are they bad for you? I have no idea no body does. personally tho the more I cook myself the more I find the processed foods to be bland and boring. as for the dreaded msg, its not bad for you. there is a small percentage of the population that has a natural intolerance to it, but for the most part its not going to hurt you. it is a naturally accruing substance. just about every smoothie recipe in the world calls for bananas, because bananas are very high in msg they make all the other fruits taste more like themselves.