RUNNING IS NOT EFFICIENT

Options
It's an aggressive topic subject, I know, but I felt like I would get a lot of attention with that subject title.

I see a lot of long distance runners or people that are capable of running long distance.

Very few people look 'fit'. If they wear a t-shirt or without a shirt and walk around every day, nobody would be able to tell that person is able to run 10k, 15, half marathon or marathon.

Also, running longer and longer is not beneficial for the health either.

So if running doesn't make you look 'fit' or 'good' + running long distance isn't even good for your health(vs. HIIT or swimming), what's the point or running for the sake of running?

This is because I see a lot of 'fat' runners who run marathons and think they're healthy.

Genetics? no. If 600 pounders can lose 400 pounds and become fit through diet and exercise, I doubt you can blame your genetics

Replies

• BigBadDougs
    BigBadDougs Posts: 155
    Options
    In for the outrage
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Your opinion. I run. I lift weights. You do you.
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yeah this runner disagrees.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    And the point of this post? Ahh yes you want to start an argument. A little childish isn't it.

I run because I like to run
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Surely running is a personal choice. If you enjoy running run. If you don't then there are other exercises to do.

But I would hazard a guess that most long distance runners enjoy it and are not simply doing it because they don't drive?

Strange thread.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    sometimes... your only choice is running. :huh:

arnold-schwarzenegger-the-running-man.jpg
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    your absolutely right. I shall stop running immediately and eat 1200 calories a day - thats healthy!
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, running long distances is not about looking good, it's about the achievement of running ever longer distances.

Lifting weights is not about looking good, though that is a wonderful side effect, it's about the achievement of getting stronger and lifting ever heavier weights.

When I'm scraping a barbell up my shins to deadlift, I'm not thinking, "this is going to look so sexy tomorrow..."

[hashtag don't bench press to undress crew]

Doing these things smashes mental, physical and pain barriers. People need that.

ETA: people who think running is "not efficient" and throwing a barbell over your own head is needs their brain examined by a team of scientists. A movement is only as efficient as you can make it.
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    IMO if you're looking for optimal fat loss, weight training is the way to go. But if you just want to exercise and enjoy running, then there is no reason you shouldn't. It just depends what your goals and preferences are. I don't enjoy running, so I won't. Some people do enjoy it, so they will. It's as simple as that.
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This is because I see a lot of 'fat' runners who run marathons and think they're healthy.

What makes you believe they're not healthy? There's such a thing as fit but fat. Folks who run consistently for a lifetime tend to have good longevity and don't spend their final years unable to move. That said, most people who are doing marathons nowadays are not consistent runners.
  • Wahlrac
    Wahlrac Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I run because I enjoy it. It is a great stress release for me. I don't really understand the point of your post? If you don't enjoy running and don't see the benefit then that is your opinion, which you are entitled to. However, I don't believe that you would be saying this if you were an actual runner. Who says that running is not beneficial to your health? That's a new one!
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've always found that the best way to work out how healthy and fit someone is, is to look at them.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, in the same way that everyone is allowed to be a moron.

Couldn't leave the thread without giving a shout out to all the fat marathon runners out there.....
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    kvlpsl2
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    In hopes you're not just being a board troll: You could say the same for any exercise if you take a sample of people that do it and don't eat right. I'm in the military and know a lot of "fat" runners. But I also know a lot of "fat" weight lifters, sprinters, Insanity participants, etc.... in fact the reason most people don't lose weight even when they work out is because they don't eat right. Any exercise is efficient when combined with other types of workouts (combining cardio with strength training) and diet.

I know far more runners that also strength train and watch what they eat that look amazing. I'd recommend you get out more. And not judge someone's fitness level based on how they LOOK. :drinker:
  • pMauzeh
    pMauzeh Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Im fitter since i started running and I run but I'm fat so if people saw me running they'd be like oh look a fat bird running i thought runners were slim, but I've only just started so I don't really get your point lol x
  • RenatoVieira
    Options
    Running, or doing cardio in general, is a toll to either burn some extra calories, have a good time doing it (if you enjoy doing it), or exercise your heart/body for an healthier way of living.

Simple as that.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of long distance runners or people that are capable of running long distance.

Very few people look 'fit'. If they wear a t-shirt or without a shirt and walk around every day, nobody would be able to tell that person is able to run 10k, 15, half marathon or marathon.

Also, running longer and longer is not beneficial for the health either.

So if running doesn't make you look 'fit' or 'good' + running long distance isn't even good for your health(vs. HIIT or swimming), what's the point or running for the sake of running?

Genetics? no. If 600 pounders can lose 400 pounds and become fit through diet and exercise, I doubt you can blame your genetics

We could say the same about a lot of cyclists, swimmers, triathletes, etc...that fail to get their nutrition right and carry too much excess body fat. There is indeed a way for them to get lean, but they either have not yet found that way or have no desire to adjust their nutrition to get lean.

For that reason, you will always continue to see a lot of runners, cyclists, etc... doing cardio exercise that may not look "fit".

That doesn't mean the exercise is non-efficient. It is their diet.
  • louiseoxford
    louiseoxford Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Your post from 3rd March 2014 is interesting OP...

'TOPIC: Running question.... 15k marathon coming up Mon 03/03/14 06:22 AM
    So I haven't run more than 5k... wait more than 2k in the last 7 years.

I started dropping weight, did bootcamp/crossfit/rowing, but since it's winter time, I didn't get a chance to run outside until recently.

A few of my friends and I signed up for a 15k run on March 30, 2014.

I have no idea how to train for it...

I recently ran a 5k after a full hour of crossfit class(immediately after) at a 9 min/mile pace. Felt a bit winded at the end but not too bad.

Now I'm trying to run 10k... but I am starting to shin splints on the left side and I don't want to overtrain.

The runs we are doing is always AFTER an hour of crossfit class. Is it better to train the runs so that it's on seperate days?

Or would doing it immediately after an intense bootcamp/crossfit class increase our cardio and thus, make a 5 - 10k run 'easier' if we do it fresh?

So many questions, so little knowledge! Any help would be appreciated for those who run 10k + regularly!

Ed'

Next time you want to troll the forum then make sure your previous posts are hidden.
  • amjfox
    amjfox Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like running.. and it may not be as effective at HIIT in losing weight, but I've still lost weight/ body fat and I'm enjoying it, so kindly keep your opinions to yourself. I'd rather do something I enjoy than something I don't.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Wow....your opinion is like a nose, everybody has one....I am a runner, I also do strength training....it works for me! The reason I run...BECAUSE I CAN....simple as that and I actually enjoy it. Don't knock a form of exercise just because it does not work for you. Obviously running has done this body good!
This discussion has been closed.