How long will it take for me to become flexible enough?

Options
Hey guys, if you've been following my posts on squatting, you'll see that I lack flexibility to squat properly. I can't go down low enough without rounding my back, and I can't go down low enough without my knees passing my toes. The trainer at the gym told me to work on my flexibility, especially regarding my hip flexors. So, I've been doing the lower body stretching routine by fitness blenders (youtube channel) since the start of January 2014. I do this routine 3-4 times a week. However, I still cannot squat. I went to the gym the other day, and the trainer watched me do a deep glute stretch. She said that it was true: my hips did lack flexibility. She said to keep stretching and doing box squats. However, it's been two months since I started stretching... how much longer will it take? I know there isn't a definite answer, but an approximate time would be nice, just to make me feel better.

Also, what is the point of box squats? I know it's to work on form, but that doesn't seem to be my problem right now. The problem is that I don't have enough flexibility to maintain proper form throughout the motion.

Replies

• jonathanwhite7965
    jonathanwhite7965 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there I am a weightlifting, movement and mobility coach. If you are rounding your back (I assume this is upper back) then you need to work on your core strength, this is what is causing your back to round, your mid line is unable to support the weight and changing COG.

If you can post a clip of you squatting from the side then I will be able to offer better advise.

To make soft tissue changes (ie improve ROM) you need to hold each stretch for at least two mins, are you doing this?
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    There are many things that can cause rounding, not just flexibility issues, and sometimes just some simple cues can bring about dramatic improvements. Without seeing you lift it's hard to give those cues. For my daughters, both of whom had some lower back rounding at max depth (and they really are going to max depth, absolutely ATG), telling them to keep their elbows forward (they had their elbows sticking back like chicken wings) made a big difference.

For squat specific flexibility load the bar with a relatively light weight following your squat workout. Squat down as normal but stay at the bottom. Allow the weight to ease you further down. Slowly let your breath out and allow yourself to go even lower. Stay in the low position for ~10 seconds and then come back up (so, yeah, you really need a light weight for this). Repeat 3-5 times.

You can also do a temporary "band aid" solution - elevate your heels while squatting. Maybe start with a 10 lb plate under your heels and work down to a 5 and finally a 2.5. You don't need to be as flexible if your heels are elevated (in fact, olympic lifting shoes have elevated heels).
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the quick response and solid advice. To answer your question, no, I only hold each stretch for 30 seconds, like the video instructs. I guess I should modify the video to suit my needs of two minutes each stretch?

I will get a video for you guys asap, sorry, been procrastinating on my part. I just need to borrow my mom's pink camera, and not be embarrassed to go to the gym and ask the trainer to video tape me lol.
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    When I first started doing squats I could not get the form down. I really have to be careful for proper form because I have a bummed knee. When I fisrt started doing them my knees would constantly go in front of my ankels. And yes box squats did help me keep my form. Also my trainer had me squat right in front of a bench so I went almost down to a sitting position. Another thing he had (or still does) is squat against a wall. Now I do squats freely doing it several different ways.

Hope this helps some. Don't give up! Jonathan had some really good points as well.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    There are other factors to consider when squatting as well.

I read a great article posted in the ETP group about bone placement.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1185582-why-people-have-to-squat-differently
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    From what I can see it looks like you're doing fine. If you're wanting to go lower just gradually work your way down.