RUNNING IS NOT EFFICIENT

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    So it's calories in vs calories out, and cardio is for cardiovascular health and a few extra calories then? Who knew?
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    you cant get fit and healthy playing darts either, but people still do that.

and yes, you can get fit and healthy from running. maybe once you start doing marathons you are beyond that point, but walking and running is the cheapest and most accessible form of exercise to everyone.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    you cant get fit and healthy playing darts either, but people still do that.

and yes, you can get fit and healthy from running. maybe once you start doing marathons you are beyond that point, but walking and running is the cheapest and most accessible form of exercise to everyone.

You can get fit running in 5ks or sprinting. No amount of cardio though is going to overcome too many calories
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    It's an aggressive topic subject, I know, but I felt like I would get a lot of attention with that subject title.

I see a lot of long distance runners or people that are capable of running long distance.

Very few people look 'fit'. If they wear a t-shirt or without a shirt and walk around every day, nobody would be able to tell that person is able to run 10k, 15, half marathon or marathon.

Yeah, so? If anyone puts in the work, they can accomplish the goal. People of all shapes and sizes can run - it's an all-inclusive sport, and one heck of a milestone in someone's life. Some people are casuals, others are a little obsessed. I don't see why it should keep you up at night.
    Also, running longer and longer is not beneficial for the health either.

Prove it.
    So if running doesn't make you look 'fit' or 'good' + running long distance isn't even good for your health(vs. HIIT or swimming), what's the point or running for the sake of running?

This is because I see a lot of 'fat' runners who run marathons and think they're healthy.

I also know lots of "fat" runners who are more aerobically fit than me. And way to go on the omniscience. I wish I had the power to know if people thought they were fit.
    Genetics? no. If 600 pounders can lose 400 pounds and become fit through diet and exercise, I doubt you can blame your genetics

I am not allowed to say that you're an idiot who is full of utter crap, but I will say that this post is.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    When your at the back of the line..everyone is going to look like you! step to the front..where they are all thin as rails!!

btw ive managed to lose 50+ lbs running, lifting, and proper food choice. I think Ill keep doing what Im doing.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The better I get at running the better chance I have of out running you when the zombies attack.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lwg5nqw2ta1qzjix8.gif
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm a fat runner. I weigh in at over 200lbs. I also cycle 30 miles on a good day. Why am I a fat runner? Because I'm trying to lose weight... Healthy? Despite my weight, I'd say I'm healthy, not because I reckon I am, but the doctors say I am. I don't have diabetes or other obesity related conditions to worry about, so I can carry on being a fat runner, and you can carry on being miserable about other people instead of keeping your opinions to yourself.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Benefits? Running lowers blood pressure, improves pulse rate, is good for healthy bones (Osteoporosis) plus I feel great and full of energy after a good run.
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    How else will you prepare your body to escape the coming zombie hoard?

The slow get eaten, the fast run away and live....which do you want to be? AND... zombies don't tire out so you have to be able to run fast for long distances!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine did 10K a while back. I went to cheer her on, but I didn't do the race myself. So I was at the finish line as the first runners (those who probably run more than most) came in and, well, if they weren't fit then I'm perfectly happy not looking fit because they looked pretty awesome.

Besides, when the zombie apocolypse happens, I don't have to be fast ... I just have to be faster and have better endurance than you. Enjoy having your brains eaten, OP.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    It's an aggressive topic subject, I know, but I felt like I would get a lot of attention with that subject title.

I see a lot of long distance runners or people that are capable of running long distance.

Very few people look 'fit'. If they wear a t-shirt or without a shirt and walk around every day, nobody would be able to tell that person is able to run 10k, 15, half marathon or marathon.

Also, running longer and longer is not beneficial for the health either.

So if running doesn't make you look 'fit' or 'good' + running long distance isn't even good for your health(vs. HIIT or swimming), what's the point or running for the sake of running?

This is because I see a lot of 'fat' runners who run marathons and think they're healthy.

Genetics? no. If 600 pounders can lose 400 pounds and become fit through diet and exercise, I doubt you can blame your genetics

When the zombies come, you'll see how useful running endurance can be.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you are on a roll this morning OP ….

pissing off throngs of MFP'ers….
  • tiffanylindenmuth
    tiffanylindenmuth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    CARDIO IS GOOD FOR YOUR HEART...
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    And the point of this post? Ahh yes you want to start an argument. A little childish isn't it.

I run because I like to run

THIS!!!!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    WHY ARE WE YELLING
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    And the point of this post? Ahh yes you want to start an argument. A little childish isn't it.

I run because I like to run

This!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I don't run long distance because it bores me …I would rather pick up heavy *kitten* and put it back down ..

I do do one to two HIIT sessions a week and this weekend I am running in a st patty's day 5k….but that is about the extend of my running..

but to each their own ..:)
  • curiousmissclay
    Options
    I'm what your calling a fat runner. I have huge muscular thighs and calfs and a strong core. Im fitter than most people I know because I worked for it.
    I love to run long distance because for most of my adult life I couldnt climb the stairs without getting out of breath.

My first full marathon is in 4 weeks
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    I was gifted with being a good runner, naturally speaking. I have run a marathon, 1/2 marathons, and various 10K/5K races at different times...in fact, I'm running a 5K this weekend just for the heck of it...

That being said, I HATE running just for the sake of running. I get no personal satisfaction from "pounding pavement" or enough of a buzz at end of an endurance race to make it something I do regularly. I have done it at different times for different motivations; mostly the social aspect and because I'm already fit enough to be able to run longer distances without putting too much effort into training (marathon distance excluded). I'm not bragging here, I'm just stating the way my conditioning relates to running.

Now, if I'm playing basketball, soccer, or some other field sport I'll run until my legs give out. Something about chasing a ball and playing on a team motivates me, whereas running in and of itself does not.

Also, for the sake of exercise/cardio conditioning, I find HIIT to be far more "efficient" - relative to the OP's comment - on calorie burning. I would rather put in 30 minutes of intense HIIT than an hour+ of slow cardio.

Before I get flamed, "To each their own". I have many friends who I would consider serious runners, who travel for marathons and even one who does ultra-marathons. We still have much in common in regards to our outlook on fitness, I just choose a different path to achieve a similar means.
This discussion has been closed.