RUNNING IS NOT EFFICIENT

Options
124»

Replies

• Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    I don't run long distance because it bores me …I would rather pick up heavy *kitten* and put it back down ..

I do do one to two HIIT sessions a week and this weekend I am running in a st patty's day 5k….but that is about the extend of my running..

but to each their own ..:)

^^^This.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Also, for the sake of exercise/cardio conditioning, I find HIIT to be far more "efficient" - relative to the OP's comment - on calorie burning. I would rather put in 30 minutes of intense HIIT than an hour+ of slow cardio.

30 minutes of HIIT..???? Holy *kitten* that is a lot of sprinting…in about one ten minute session I get six to seven sprints in ….that is 30 second work 40 second rest…so if I went 30 minutes that would be 18 sprints…I think I would die…!
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    MEH!
  • kammyrios
    kammyrios Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Your post from 3rd March 2014 is interesting OP...

'TOPIC: Running question.... 15k marathon coming up Mon 03/03/14 06:22 AM
    So I haven't run more than 5k... wait more than 2k in the last 7 years.

I started dropping weight, did bootcamp/crossfit/rowing, but since it's winter time, I didn't get a chance to run outside until recently.

A few of my friends and I signed up for a 15k run on March 30, 2014.

I have no idea how to train for it...

I recently ran a 5k after a full hour of crossfit class(immediately after) at a 9 min/mile pace. Felt a bit winded at the end but not too bad.

Now I'm trying to run 10k... but I am starting to shin splints on the left side and I don't want to overtrain.

The runs we are doing is always AFTER an hour of crossfit class. Is it better to train the runs so that it's on seperate days?

Or would doing it immediately after an intense bootcamp/crossfit class increase our cardio and thus, make a 5 - 10k run 'easier' if we do it fresh?

So many questions, so little knowledge! Any help would be appreciated for those who run 10k + regularly!

Ed'

Next time you want to troll the forum then make sure your previous posts are hidden.

^^^ This!
    You are sure not being very supportive for belonging to a support group.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Seriously, stop feeding the idiots, people.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who started running because his family had a long history of heart disease. A few years ago he had a heart attack. He was able to survive a "widow maker" heart attack in part because of the strengthening running had done for his cardiovascular system.

With this fact in mind....I shall continue to be inefficient, thanks!
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The title made me laugh LOL Not only am a good runner but I'm very fit, very muscular and I give a good deal of credit to running and the person it has helped me to become :smile:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    LOL. reading this from my ice bath.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I think efficient exercise is something you enjoy that you can stick with. For me, heavy lifting would not be efficient because I can't stay consistent. I can't guarantee to get to the gym more than one day a week, but i am able to run at least 5 days a week. Also I like it. But I'm not doing it for fat loss. I'm pretty sure it is good for me to get my heart rate up 5 hours a week. And running has helped my asthma like nothing else ever has. I've been able to go off my meds because I've increased my lung function so much. Go running!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    It's an aggressive topic subject, I know, but I felt like I would get a lot of attention with that subject title.

I see a lot of long distance runners or people that are capable of running long distance.

Very few people look 'fit'. If they wear a t-shirt or without a shirt and walk around every day, nobody would be able to tell that person is able to run 10k, 15, half marathon or marathon.

Also, running longer and longer is not beneficial for the health either.

So if running doesn't make you look 'fit' or 'good' + running long distance isn't even good for your health(vs. HIIT or swimming), what's the point or running for the sake of running?

This is because I see a lot of 'fat' runners who run marathons and think they're healthy.

Genetics? no. If 600 pounders can lose 400 pounds and become fit through diet and exercise, I doubt you can blame your genetics

Take that, people who like things other than the things the OP likes!!
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I like to run and I like the way it makes me feels - end of
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting.This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

In many cases we are able to edit out the posts that violate this guideline, but unfortunately this particular thread has become too volatile to moderate efficiently.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,

psuLemon
This discussion has been closed.