Too fat to fly?

Options
I'm not really sure where to post this at all, but I am flying to Europe in a few days and I am having some serious anxiety about fitting in the plane seats after seeing a story on the news about a woman who was "too fat to fly". I am 5' tall 190-200lbs and I'm about a size 14/16. I don't know how big I was the last time I flew but I remember fitting fine. But since then I have gained and then lost a lot of weight. I'll be flying Iceland Air or something and I just want to know if anyone else has had any experience with this? I'm so terrified I'll be asked to buy another seat the I wont be able to afford the trip. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Call the airline and ask for the exact dimensions of their seats. Then measure yourself, and see if you fit. Easy.
  • HannahLynn91
    HannahLynn91 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not too fat to fly!!!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I think the average woman is a size 14, so you should be fine. My mom is a size 18 and has no problems. Depending on the airline, it might be a TOUCH tight, but that's a big maybe (I've never flown that one before). I think a lot of people who end up having to buy 2 seats are upwards of 300 lbs most of the time (at least from the articles I've seen). You should be able to look up the seat size online though.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a trip in the US. I've lost weight since my last flight and was very happy that I didn't have to use a seat belt extender. I am currently a size 14, so I don't think you will have any problems. Enjoy your trip! :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Youll fit in the seat fine. Im 5'5 215 size 14/16 and have no issues with the seat or the seat belt.

The only problem I have on coach is leg room but then again I have long legs
  • AsianSuperfly
    AsianSuperfly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Call the airline and ask for the exact dimensions of their seats. Then measure yourself, and see if you fit. Easy.

^^this^^Most airlines have a just about all passenger inquires covered on their official website.

ETA laptop = massive typos 4me
  • Nix_Way
    Nix_Way Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    About 3 years ago my friends and I went to NY and on the plane ride to NY, I didn't buckle the belt. I just put my jacket. On the way home, a flight attendent was a little more observant and asked me if my buckle was buckled. I said yes. She made me lift my jacket!! I was SOOOO MORTIFIED! She said all I would have had to do is ask for a seat buckle extender.

I haven't been on a plane since. I was about 400 pounds at 5'7. Not a small woman.

So I guess just ask for a seat belt extender.

I hope you have better luck than I did!
  • cherrikim
    cherrikim Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You would have to be over 350 lbs for them to even complain & probably wearing a size 30 something or 5x & over. Then again your on the shorter side so maybe over 275 in weight.
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You should be fine. I'm slightly taller than you at 5'6... but I also have a size 16-18 Pant, and travel by plane once a year. The seats are sometimes tight, In the smaller planes usually, but I can fit in them, and so can my heavier husband. Also, If you are going over seas (I can't be sure but if your American going to Europe this would be the case.) ,You should really be fine because; The planes are bigger with bigger seats. I few to Europe in High school (wore a size 14-16) and was quite comfy in the seats. So in my experience the bigger the plane the more room per seat. So its the little connecting flights to small airports that are more worrisome about not fitting in the seats.
  • Starsparkle1102
    Options
    Thanks for the kind replies everyone, and thanks for pretty much putting my mind at ease. ♥ I feel like I can be excited finally haha
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    youll be fine
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Definitely not!

I flew to the U.K. long before I lost any weight. I was 5'10" and probably over 350 lbs at the time. Much larger than a woman's 14/16.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Iceland air seats are fine for someone your size.

some low-cost airlines in europe will have seats that are a bit tight but you are definately not to fat to fly.

speaking as someone who used to be that size and fly ;)
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Not even close to being too large.

I am a frequent flyer, and was too when my hips got to 50+", and each thigh at 34". My mother is large than I was and also has it all in her hips and thighs - she occaisionally needs the seat belt extender, and it can be a bit of a squeze, but no where near where they'd say she was too fat for it - it have never been a concern for either of us.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I've literally just got back from Iceland (posted a few pics in the general chat section) and flew Icelandair and you will be absolutely fine!!!

I'm 5ft 4 inch and 210lbs. I had LOADS of spare seat belt left over and plenty of spare space between me and the tray table when it was down. I was in economy so didn't have one of the luxury spacy seats, definitely one of the better airlines for larger people.

One thing to bear in mind, if you have an emergency exit they have fixed armrests with a solid bit between the arm and the seat. We flew in those seats going out, and although it was still absolutely fine, not quite as much space as one of the regular seats where you can move the armrests. Message me if you have any other questions xx
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Anyone worried about seats on a flight, check this website out.....
    http://www.seatguru.com/

I'm a travel agent and use it all the time.
  • bigmamabird
    bigmamabird Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't know the accuracy, but according to this site

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Icelandair/Icelandair_Boeing_757-200.php

Seats on Icelandic Air run 17.2-20.5 depending on your ticket class.

Measure yourself then rest at ease, a 14/16 shouldn't have a problem. Enjoy your trip!!!
  • staveshabr
    staveshabr Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i flew back and forth from the west coast to the dirty south for four years wearing a size 14-16 and an 18 and was just fine and i always managed to get placed in the middle seat :grumble: so you should be just fine dear:flowerforyou:
  • Judybowler
    Judybowler Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You got this...you will be ok....Have fun and enjoy!! :)
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You definitely should be fine! I am 5'4, size 18W, and have no issue fitting in the seats. My hips, butt and thighs are pretty large. I have seen much larger people get on planes!