need in-between clothes

Options

Replies

• NessaR2011
    NessaR2011 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Oh belts are great for holding pants up. I was able to hang on to pair of jeans far longer than I should have. It wasn't until a friend asked why my pants made me look like I had wings on my legs before I stopped wearing them. I suggest getting a woven belt. Never have to drill new holes (my husband does this) and it's not as easy to notice a lot of extra slack.
  • SamanthaKayShaver
    SamanthaKayShaver Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I would pay the shipping to send clothes to people who need clothes. I honestly think that its one of the hardest things about losing a sizable amount of weight. You are so happy when the numbers on the scale keep going down, but then the clothes you loved for so long and did great things for your body all of a sudden no longer do anything. You look in the mirror and feel worse than you did before. I would say most of my frustration comes from not having clothes that look good on my body, but also being super cheap and not wanted to get new clothes since I have so much more weight to lose. So anyways after the rambling mess I am saying I would totally be into the MFP traveling pants!

I am so glad I am not the only one who feels this way! I am defiantly more self conscious now than i was 40 lbs ago just because i don't have fitting clothes and have a hard time believing i really am a small now.

op-
    I find i actually enjoy Walmart jeans. Since I'm only 4'11", it's darn near impossible to find second hand jeans. I'm very pear shaped too, and Walmart has curvy jeans that fit just right for me. The are usually no more than $15 a pair. I just buy a couple pairs every time i go down at least 2 size and wear them repeatedly. Also, tights! Jeans last 15-20 lbs, tights last for 30ish!
  • minischnauz4
    minischnauz4 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you everyone for both your encouraging words on my weight loss and for the great suggestions. I'm definitely going to check into the Obesityhelp.com site. If it ever warms up around here and gargage sales start up again, I'll probably look there. In the meantime, maybe I'll just make the 2-1/2 hr drive to the closest Goodwill. If nothing else, it'll at least be a nice way to spend a weekend day and while I'm there I'll buy ahead in several smaller sizes. Thanks, too, for the wash and dryer idea. I have been doing that already and it works great at first but as the day go ons the pants seem to keep getting looser. I really appreciate all the ideas everyone sent my way.

If anyone knows how to start a MFP clothes swap, I'd definitely be into that.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    This is always a huge problem for me, especially pants! I have a dress from American Apparel that is loose fitting and it comes in one size fits all. It fits and looks great no matter what size you are underneath so you could continue to wear it as you get smaller, no throw away clothing! I would highly recommend, looks especially great layered with a cardigan and you could wear a belt to cinch the waist. I ordered online...http://store.americanapparel.net/RSA0341s.html
  • pooohb77
    pooohb77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use a consignment store. I took in a bunch of too big clothes in for them to sell for me. They get a percentage of what sells and I get a percentage paid to me. They pay out every other week and offer a discount if you shop in the store instead of cashing out. I bought a few things in a smaller size and never had to exchange any real money...I just paid with my credits. I don't know if you have anything like that around you, but it sure helped me.
  • madisonsmith1297
    Options
    I think that it would be a good inexpensive way to get a pair of pants that actually fit as you need them. Jeans are so expensive to begin with, and with the ever changing size I just cant afford to buy everytime I lose a belt notch :D And fun trading with my MFP family. I'm in an 18 going on 16. I have a few pairs of 14s at my house that probably wont fit me til my may goal, I'd be willing to share. I also have a bunch of 20's that dont fit me either. I know im probably bigger than what your looking for, but if you want them there yours.
    I would totally be into the MFP traveling pants!

Oh you are too sweet to think that, being overweight for most of my life I had learned at a young age how to fool photographs with angles haha. Currently I am in a size 22 and its getting to the point where I can grab entire fist of material at my but even when they are newly washed.
  • lauramblair
    lauramblair Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Could you make a special trip into the nearest large-ish town with a Goodwill and stock up on a couple sizes? At the low prices you won't be out a whole lot buying sizes down in anticipation of the weight loss.. I've been so thankful for goodwill through my journey!
  • Aprilfoolbride
    Aprilfoolbride Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm a 16 going on 14 so maybe we could do an exchange!

Also, in the fall I went to a clothing swap and it was AWESOME! Bring clothes, shoes, accessories, etc & leave with whatever you want. And it's FREE! Maybe you could host one.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I know several people already suggested this, but I would seriously consider a road trip to the next town that DOES have good thrift stores. Even if you just do this a couple of times per year, it could save you some money.

I find a serious lack of my right-now sizes 14-16 in thrift stores for some reason, maybe because they are very popular sizes. But around me there's a wealth of sizes 10-12 and 18+ in every thrift shop.

Some of the low price stores I enjoy shopping in currently - Target, Marshalls, Ross, TJ Maxx, and deeply discounted clearance racks at Macy's, JC Penney or Kohls.

I try to stay away from Walmart for a variety of reasons, but they do have some decent cut/style stuff even if the quality is severely lacking.

Good luck!
  • tattoofatty
    tattoofatty Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I got some 20's with your name on it!!!! :D Going to add you as a MFP Friend :D
    I think that it would be a good inexpensive way to get a pair of pants that actually fit as you need them. Jeans are so expensive to begin with, and with the ever changing size I just cant afford to buy everytime I lose a belt notch :D And fun trading with my MFP family. I'm in an 18 going on 16. I have a few pairs of 14s at my house that probably wont fit me til my may goal, I'd be willing to share. I also have a bunch of 20's that dont fit me either. I know im probably bigger than what your looking for, but if you want them there yours.
    I would totally be into the MFP traveling pants!

Oh you are too sweet to think that, being overweight for most of my life I had learned at a young age how to fool photographs with angles haha. Currently I am in a size 22 and its getting to the point where I can grab entire fist of material at my but even when they are newly washed.
  • Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This may not be feasible for everyone but due to my job I have started using Gwynnie Bee. The first month is free. For me it works really nice because I have to dress professional for my job (blazer, slackers, etc.) and I bought a blazer from Macy's (size 22, I started at size 24) but it was $80 and that was a month ago, now it is swimming on me. So I'm using this for dresses, blouses, and blazers. If anyone is interested you can message me your name and email and I can refer you I get an extra "item" =)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I went from 18-20W to 8. Shopped at thrift stores for almost all of my clothes during this transition (never buy intimate apparel at thrift stores). When I shrunk out of a size, the clothes were re-donated. When I finally reached size 8, I tried to go shopping at regular stores, but couldn't bring myself to pay some of the prices, so went back to thrift stores. Mind you, not all of my clothes are from thrift stores, I will definitely jump on a really good sale, I'll buy, but for the most part, I still shop thrift stores. I'm lucky, I have a few really good ones near me, I get emails when they have sales, so I tend to go when they have 50% off or more sales. I have a closet full of designer clothing at a fraction of the price.
  • Butterflykisses123
    Butterflykisses123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!!! I've been using a consignment website called Twice (liketwice.com). They sell nice brands at low prices, and if you buy over $50 you get free shipping + free return shipping within I think 30 days. So I'll buy a bunch of items I might like to get over the limit, and return what I don't want. It's way easier than dragging my 4 year old around town to Goodwill. :) Keep up the awesome work!!
  • drBzy
    drBzy Posts: 9
    Options
    I am currently having the same exact peoblem! I basically live in sweatpants and leggings because they're legit th only thing that fits me right now! I would recommend checking out TJ Maxx or Ross for jeans or pants. Walmart is always a solid place.
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I get my jeans at Target. They have a bunch of different fits for different body shapes and they cost $20-$30. I also only keep one pair at a time and wear them out. (Maybe not best practice - they don't get washed after every wear, but I keep running into ways my "sub par" hygiene practices are actually good.) Anyway, the pair I have now are a size 16 (and slightly stretchy). When I got them they were skin tight and now they are getting a bit loose (I'm probably a 14 at this point), but they stay up. They're just now starting to wear out so I will probably buy another pair before long. But the point is I only have one pair in service, lol.

So Target is good. I second Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Burlington Coat Factory for nicer clothes on the cheap. For the sweatpants I wear around the house I like to stock up on them at Rue 21. They're frequently about $7 or $8 a pair.
  • lauramblair
    lauramblair Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    dym123 isn't that funny how that works? Now that I've started shopping thrift I don't think I can ever go back. I have found tops at thrift stores not to be quite as nice, so I can see myself buying tops retail here and there, but the bulk of my shopping from here on out will always be thrift!
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Target and Old Navy. Always check prices online too. You can compare prices for the same item on your phone while shopping to see if its cheaper online. Search the web for promo codes and a lot of times you can try it on in-store and then order it with a promo code online for less! You may want to invest in some leggings and flowy blouses/dresses. They are the best for fluctuating sizes and will stick with you longer than fitted pants and tops. Hope that helps!
  • keithaj1
    keithaj1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A tailor can do wonders. Especially with your nicer items.
  • keltoja
    keltoja Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    what about websites like thredUP? That's an online consignment store with items starting around 3 or 4 dollars and up (for higher end brands). Shipping is pretty cheap too.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with the same issue. I've offered any of my larger sized clothes to anyone on my friends list but no one was interested. My husband and I are in a tight spot and all I asked was they paid the shipping. I think maybe you started a clothing swap board without even knowing it!!! I found that if you have a credit card with a store (JC, Sears etc) you can return clothes even like 2 months later. I've swapped the same pair of pants twice so far for "random reasons".

I'm sorry - I might be misunderstanding you, but are you saying you purchase a pair of pants at JCP or whatever, wear them for up to 2 months and then return them for a smaller size and do the same?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!