I need help...I don't know what my problem is.

Options
I've been doing this diet and exercise for a while now, but I seem to be having a small problem. I'll eat really good one day and then the next day I will go and blow it. I lost weight when I started on this site, but now I've quite a bit of it back. I don't know what I need to do to change. To make this not happen. I don't know what's wrong in my head. I'm going to start over again in the morning and try my best to do right on every meal.

Replies

• yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh-me and you both! i hope you do better starting tomorrow! You can do it! Just picture how happy you will be when you get there. That is what I need to do....that and making small daily goals instead of thinking that it is ok if i slack tomorrow, my goal is so far out of reach, I can just start over:(
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Take it one meal, one workout, and one day @ a time :) I have the same problem so I know it CAN be beat!
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    One day at a time....get your head in this and you can achieve all your goals!! You are worth it, you deserve it and YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!
    Tons of inspiration and support on here!
  • 1QueenB
    1QueenB Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Just take it one meal at a time and you will reach your goals. I am kinda going through that right now, so I understand. Just keep exercising, if nothing else it will at least help keep you from gaining!:drinker:
  • ItsJustVicki
    Options
    Good luck tomorrow~You can do it!! I upped my exercise and I'm doing better ;)
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    It takes a while to change bad habits. If you blow one meal, don't feel like you need to wait until the next day to get back on track. You might want to try eating 6 small meals throughout the day instead of waiting for traditional mealtimes. I try to pre-budget my food and include healthy snacks that I can carry with me so I'm never super hungry.

You can do it.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    That's all you can do, never quit completely, always get back on track.....

We all struggle with watching what we eat... To make it easy on yourself, give yourself one cheat meal, on the weekend, that way you have something to look forward to and makes it a bit easier to be good through the week.

Try drink big glasses of water before each meal, makes you full and possible not eat as much.

Eat either veggies with your meals, more veggies than starch in each meal....

Exercise if you aren't already doing so....

Goodluck, it's hard but try and stick it out
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    I have to get myself re-motivated as well.
    Seems I go for a few weeks doing great and if ONE little thing gets in my way and I miss a day of working out, it turns into three or more days (at the present).
    You aren't the only one who backtracks. Hang in there!
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    Meal planning. Plan every meal (even snacks) for the next 7 days and stick to it! This also makes grocery shopping easier, and cheaper since you're less likely to buy impulse items.

Tomorrow is another day. If you fall off the wagon, just pick yourself back up.
  • resptech97
    Options
    MAN! Do I know what you are talking about!!! Food is like a drug...the more fattening the more the temptation! Especially this time of year! BUT!!! Like I just told someone else ITS A MENTAL THING!!! You have to think about it like this...do you want that slice or piece of whatever or do you want to lose weight? Ask yourself that questsion before putting anything in your mouth! Also ask yourself if you are really hungry. I was really bad about that at one time. Just going to the pantry and standing there with the door open waiting for something to catch my eye. One day it was like a light bulb....WHY am I standing here looking? I'm not even hungry. Now understand that it has been a LONG process. You cant change mentally overnight! But little bit by little bit YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Don't worry - you're not the only one who struggles in these ways. All you can do (from what I gather anyway) is keep trying. The most important thing is to not give up on *trying*.

I'm totally struggling in staying on track - over and over and over and over...... I can't tell you what to do to stay on it, and I don't know how to do that. What I do know is that if you don't get back up, then .... that's it, you're for sure done. So, for now, until a better answer comes along, just keep getting up and trying again the next day.

Maybe this will help: it takes approximately 6 weeks to form a new habit and just as long (or longer) to break an old one.

Just promise not to give up - and I will too. :flowerforyou:
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Hi! You have to figure out what is causing you to go back to your old ways before you can really move forward... Banks recently posted a topic on this that was interesting.. you should check it out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/138417-triggers-i-notice-on-mfp
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Hey gainskb thanks for the link I am going to read Banks post here in a sec. Looks like we all go through this, and that in and of itself is comforting. I have my notebook out tonight as a matter of fact going back through my days to see where I got off track. We are all in this together and every new second is a do over!! We CAN do this!! We Will Do this!! Together!! All of us!!
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    just keep starting over. eventually you'll get mad enough at yourself to snap out of it and get into the game. i've been there a thousand times, but this time [my 3rd try, and restart] i'm finally committed.

don't be too hard on yourself. you should be really proud that you're recognizing where you're falling short. tomorrow is a new day and a second chance. :]
  • MandyJune
    Options
    This seems to be one of my biggest problems as well especially because i work in a coffee shop around tempting goodies everyday :/ It's tough work being consistent with a healthier diet. :/ but i think dani makes a good point! Goodd luck!!
  • netter43
    netter43 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have tried so many "diets" in the past only to fail at them all - It is totally a mental change after eating whatever you chose to put in your mouth before. this time you are just trying to make better choices. The first step for me was no chips or ice cream - only because I ate them like there was no tomorrow - I had a plan to start - like higher protein foods to keep me fuller longer and a snack of no more than 100-150 calories bettween my meals and less bread (sandwhich thins and bagel thins really help). I started with changing my eating habits first and after about 3 weeks I incorporated small amounts of exercise - Now if I don't exercise at least 4-5 days a week I feel like I'm cheating myself. Granted my weight loss has been slow thus far (6 pounds in 6 weeks), but the changes in my attitude and even my clothes has been better than seeing 5 pounds a week off the scale...maybe because for the first time I don't feel like I'm on a diet. I feel like I am making changes to be healthier and happier. Have I had days I wanted to chuck it all - hell yeah!! - But I am on this site every single day reading the success stories and the motivational tips - It has been a true God send in my journey to keep me grounded and realize that I cannot expect to lose 100 pounds in a month. I just want to be happy with me!!

I'm sorry this got long winded, but you have to believe within yourself that you can do it. No one else can want it for you - Only you can control you and your behavior (OK, enough cliche's) - Take care of you!!!
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I commend you for trying again. I understand that having off track days are frustrating. but it's good that you haven't given up and you are trying again.

I know when I have a good day and then a bad day (mine is usually a couple of good days and then a string of bad ones) it's because I'm not eating enough on my good days.

I consider it a good day when I stay under or way under my calorie goal. The problem is that shouldn't be what I consider a good day. and I can be under on calories for a few days and then my body realizes that somethings not right and it can't get enough.

Another thing that comes to mind is the nutrition in the food you are eating. If I ate chips all day, I'd get my calories in but i wouldn't be getting the nutrition. I found this particularly true with my calcium. I'm not big on milk and other food we normally get our calcium from and I COULD NOT figure out why I wasn't satisfied even after eating. It's because my body was craving calcium and It wasn't getting it from the foods I was selecting.

Same thing with water. If I'm not giving myself enough water then I crave food but it's just my body's way of trying to extract the water it needs from the food I'm providing.

So, here's my suggestion. Take a mutivitamin, drink plenty of water, and make sure you're eating enough.

I'm sorry, I know it's frustrating.

Keep trying.

- Eva
  • Certified_Femail
    Certified_Femail Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    hi there
    i just wanted to say one thing that may help is to plan your meal the day befor i know its helped me at times to do it for the next day. .
    its harder right now i think with all the food in the air lol. also theres alot of candy n stuff gonna be floating. make your mind up the day befor like you have today and say to yourself im going to eat good tomorrow because i refuse to go in the red lol. dont you hate the red? i get pissy if i went in the red but it makes me determined more to not do it the next day. make sure you log everything in no matter how you ate that day. little bits of this n that add up. i got layed up for a week n a half and gained a few lbs back frm inactivity even though i stayed in my cals most days so im a tiny bit bummed so it comforting to know im not alone hang in there :)

o and psssst dnt 4get lotsa wata
  • mylifemyhealth
    Options
    Have you made a structual tension chart? I have found this to be extremely helpful! And........don't try to change your entire lifestyle "today" make one goal. When you accomplish it set another healthy lifestyle goal. Maybe, just focus on eating small frequent meals first. You are not JUST LOSING WEIGHT it is a lifestyle change. Not an east one either. Stay positive!
  • shanepurrer
    shanepurrer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just remember when ever you fall off the wagon. To always get back on don't stray away for to long or it makes it harder to get motivated. You can do it go for gold .......