Calculating macros for fat loss

Options
Hi all

I need some help calculating my macros. I find it all confusing!

I've lost 20lb but got another 7lb or so to go. I go to military bootcamp 3 times a week. I currently eat about 45% carbs, 30% protein and 25% fats, approx 1200 calories. Using the navy measuring body fat method I think I'm 24% body fat. My long term goal is drop this to around 18%. I'm 5"5 and 131lb.

Should I adjust my macros?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Sophie_UK
    Sophie_UK Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks humanot.

Its a huge change in my macros!

1195 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    50 g Carbohydrates (17%, 200 kcal)
    80 g Protein (27%, 320 kcal)
    75 g Fat (56%, 675 kcal)

Does that sound OK?
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    http://goo.gl/DJqxWP

Something i worked on
    :-)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I need some help calculating my macros. I find it all confusing!

I've lost 20lb but got another 7lb or so to go. I go to military bootcamp 3 times a week. I currently eat about 45% carbs, 30% protein and 25% fats, approx 1200 calories. Using the navy measuring body fat method I think I'm 24% body fat. My long term goal is drop this to around 18%. I'm 5"5 and 131lb.

Should I adjust my macros?

Thanks in advance :)

Your macros are exactly what mine are...based on similar BF% which seem in line.

But that being said macros are subjective...I calculate mine based on my TDEE-20%.

Mind you I eat more than you as well and lift weights but if your goal is to maintain LBM eating 1g of protien per each pound of LBM you need about 100g a day which seems in line with what you have.

Humanot sent you to a keto site which is high fat/high protien...I wouldn't follow those unless you plan on going on a keto diet...which restricts carbs and is hard to sustain...

If I were you I would up my calories tho...to about 1400-1500...you want to fuel your workouts and it makes it easier to get your protien and fats in without going over calories...take a look at my diary if you want...I don't use supplements to get my protien in.
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks humanot.

Its a huge change in my macros!

1195 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    50 g Carbohydrates (17%, 200 kcal)
    80 g Protein (27%, 320 kcal)
    75 g Fat (56%, 675 kcal)

Does that sound OK?

That looks similar to my ratios (15% carbs, 50% fat, 35% protein) and I've been doing really well this way. It not keto by any means, you're still eating 50g of carbs a day, which is low but not too bad. You could always up carb intake to 75 g and see how that affects the rest of your macros. Hope you find what works for you!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i would work out your TDEE and then take off 10/15%, 1200 cals seems too few if your primary goal is fat loss.
  • Sophie_UK
    Sophie_UK Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Your macros are exactly what mine are...based on similar BF% which seem in line.

But that being said macros are subjective...I calculate mine based on my TDEE-20%.

Mind you I eat more than you as well and lift weights but if your goal is to maintain LBM eating 1g of protien per each pound of LBM you need about 100g a day which seems in line with what you have.

Humanot sent you to a keto site which is high fat/high protien...I wouldn't follow those unless you plan on going on a keto diet...which restricts carbs and is hard to sustain...

If I were you I would up my calories tho...to about 1400-1500...you want to fuel your workouts and it makes it easier to get your protien and fats in without going over calories...take a look at my diary if you want...I don't use supplements to get my protien in.

Thanks, your diary was really helpful :)

I've upped my goal calories to 1300 this week and then I'll move up to 1400 in a couple of weeks. I don't think I can realistically stick to a ketogenic diet, eating healthily as I am has been a massive challenge! I was such a junk food addict... I'll leave my macro's as they are for now and re-evaluate in a month or two.

I'm hoping to get back in the gym once I have finished uni and have a job, and get a few personal training sessions to get me lifting correctly.

Thanks all for your input :)