Why get a personal trainer?

Options
Hey Everyone!
I wanted some input. I'm thinking about hiring a personal trainer. I'm just not sure why I would need one??
Here's my story.
About 2 years ago I went balls to the wall nuts fitness wise. I was motivated, and VERY focused. I ran, weight trained, ate right. Lost 60 lbs. GO ME!!
Then about 6 months ago, it all ended. I just couldn't do it anymore. I was tired. I felt like I was working so hard but not getting any results. I was still fat (171 at my lowest) I felt stuck. Then I found 20 of the 60 lbs I lost.

I want to get to healthy place. I do enjoy working out. I would like to get down to about 140 and stay there.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    If a personal trainer will help you get and stay motivated to get and remain healthy, I would say that was a good investment. We spend/waste our money on worse things.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Based on your post I think you could benefit from one. If you were going balls to the wall and not getting the results you wanted you may not have been training for your goals or eating for them. A trainer is also good to help you learn proper form so you do the exercises correctly for the intended results. So many people doing bad form don't realize they are getting bad results or injury for that very reason. Even if you hire one for 2-3 months it is beneficial.

But it's up to you and your goals. If motivation is a factor then of course having someone who keeps you accountable is a nice added bonus.

best of luck
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i think they are a waste of money.
  • threefancy
    threefancy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm considering having a personal trainer help me with my form.
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use a trainer twice a week. Best thing I have done. He pushes me really hard through my workout routine. If you workout without a trainer I find you don't push yourself as hard. I hope this helps. Good Luck!
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Agreed.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!
    I wanted some input. I'm thinking about hiring a personal trainer. I'm just not sure why I would need one??

Don't get one until you know why you need one.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Trainers are like everything, there are good ones and "not so good ones". Makes sure you find a trainer who is not going to cookie cutter a work-out for you. You want one who has experience with people who have reached the same goals that you have. Make sure he or she listens to what you want. I actually have two different trainers, one for lifting and one who is more focused on functional/medibolic exercise.

I find that I train MUCH harder with them pusing than when I did it alone. They also work with me on nutrition as well. I am SO GLAD, I hired them. It has been a great experience and while it has been a long road getting to my goals, I know they are in it for the long run.

If you just accept the first trainer you find, it might not be the right fit.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options

For me, they are well woth the money, however, I was not able to do it by myself and needed thier additional knowledge and experience, If you can get to your goals with what you are doing, that is great and you do not need them. However, if you can't or are stuck, then you may need to hire one.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It's always an ongoing quest to find motivation.

For some people, having a weekly appointment with a PT is motivation. You've paid, so you're not going to miss the appoinment. Then the PT gives you feedback on technique, teaches you some new stuff, helps you clarify your goals - all helps with motivation. And then they give you homework; you surely don't want to come in next week and tell him/her that you haven't been back to the gym since last week. So yes, it can make a difference. If you think this sounds like it would motivate you, it would likely be worth your while.

As an alternative that is similar, and has some of the same advantages, I have found great motivation and enjoyment being in my multisports group. There are coaches who know what we are up to and what our goals are, can help with planning and technique, so you get some of the same PT advantages. But we also have the group dynamic, we go to run events, swim meets, triathlons, etc., together.

But overall my message is Connection is Huge.

If you can connect with a PT one-on-one, that is good. If you can connect with a group, in my opinion that is even better.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I see my PT three times a week and have benefited wholey, he helps drive me, pushes me, and makes sure my form is proper.

To anyone who thinks they are a waste of money, congrats on being able to motivate, push and exercise properly on your own.

Not of all us have that, I for one will keep my PT, and he can have some of my money!
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!

Don't get one until you know why you need one.

That would be the point of this post....
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It depends entirely on what your needs are (that you cannot meet yourself) and whether or not that specific trainer can fill those needs.

Saying that all trainers are useless is about as silly as saying that everyone needs a trainer.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You've already said,

for motivation and results.
  • jaclync324
    jaclync324 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think you would benefit more from a workout partner. Are you friendly with anyone in your gym? Is there someone there who looks amazing that might want a partner too?

I have spent lots of money on personal trainers but I was motivated the most when I had a workout partner. My first husband pushed me very hard. I hated him for it but I was in the best shape of my life. Between marriages, I worked out with a friend of mine who was in phenomenal shape. Again, I had TONS of motivation. I also liked having someone waiting on me at the gym that I wasn't paying.

My husband now is the type that is naturally gifted with regard to physique. He doesn't have to work out and mostly doesn't. For a time, we went to the gym together, and again, I found that motivation.

Just some food for thought.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I haven't used a PT but I think it's a great idea. They'll be able to help you design a workout routine and nutrition plan to help you meet your personal goals. I also like the idea of a workout partner. Workout partner will obviously be cheaper than the PT, but the PT will be able to improve your form, etc.
  • VeganMagpie
    VeganMagpie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've just been researching PT at my gym as I'm thinking I would like to get the help of one.

For me, the primary reason is I would like to lift weights and feel I want help with good technique.

Secondary I feel a little lost in the gym, I run, row, cycle, play with dumbells but I don't follow a work-out or really know what I should be doing to maximize my time there. I personally feel like I need more structure and will see better results with the help of an expert.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I use one for motivation. If it helps you - go for it! You can always try it for a while and then change if you don't like it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If I ever got one it would be to help me with form on my lifting that's it...but I don't need one for that...I just put them on youtube...and have knowledgable folks here take a look for me.

Personal trainers can be good but exp.

If you want one to stay motivated try paying yourself...put the money you would spend on a PT in a jar.

Start over again with a reasonable deficet, weighing your food and getting back into exercise.

Then after 6months buy yourself something for sticking with it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    So you can achieve with them what you cannot seem to do alone. That would be the main reason.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition