Would you find it weird if I complimented your form?

Options
RhineDHP
RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
I was doing some squats this morning, and was taking it easy since lately the IT band of my right leg has been feeling a little painful and really tight. A guy went up to the squat rack next to mine and shredded like no other. I was trying not to stare but his form was pretty much perfect. I was trying to emulate it.

Would it have been weird for me to go up and compliment him on his form? I know that some people don't like to be bothered when working out, and he had ear buds in and all. Also I don't want him to think I'm hitting on him. I was just appreciating the technique.

Is this a weird hangup? lol..

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I've been complimented on squat form before. It didn't feel weird and it actually sparked a conversation... I'm very introverted so I don't approach people. It was nice having someone approach me who actually lifts (turned out to be a competitive powerlifter).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    nope I would have a big smile.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Would not find it weird, not even if I was wearing earphones. I think serious lifters like to talk about lifting with other lifters and appreciate compliments on form. As long as you are doing it between sets or after the workout, I can't imagine anyone having a problem with it.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Also I don't want him to think I'm hitting on him. I was just appreciating the technique.

Is this a weird hangup? lol..

Strike up a conversation, if he/she doesn't want to talk - don't worry about it.

I shudder to think we've come to this in society - fear of communication.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I've been complemented on form before and I've complemented others on impressive lifts and form. I would rather have someone come up and say something instead of just creeping around watching. It took one guy a while to approach me and I was getting kind of annoyed because I knew he was watching. Turns out he was a powerlifting coach at the local high school and thought I could compete with some guided training.
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Not weird. I had a lady stop me in the locker room once to compliment my squat form. It made me feel really good because I strive for form perfection!

Fly casual.
  • mrjiggy
    mrjiggy Posts: 7
    Options
    I don't think it would have been weird at all. I've done it, and found that people always like to get a compliment. Doesn't mean your hitting on him, and he would know that, too.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Don't think it's weird, probably wouldn't do it in the middle of a work out, I would probably wait until they had finished:)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    The best things people have ever said to me in the gym:

1) wow, you have awesome arms.
    2) your squat form is really good.
    3) I can't believe you can bench press that much.

LOVE comments like these.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is a problem. I've done it and had it done to me by men and women. I didn't take issue with it and I don't prefer to do a lot of talking in the gym. This could be different for him.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not weird at all. And if you think his form was good, ask him take a look at yours. (in a friendly/non-creeper kinda way)

Sometimes, you just don't have the right angle to watch your form in the mirror. It's good to have a sanity check, especially if you're lifting heavy and prone to cheating. It might save you from an injury in the future.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't undressing him with your eyes, drooling, and/or stroking him while doing so? I'd say it's not weird.

eta: There was once a young (high-school, or just out?) girl doing squats in my gym. She has the best squat form I've seen from anyone in my gym. I didn't compliment her, although I wanted to. As an older guy, I thought that might have come across as a little creepy.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    It's a great compliment. People should be open to complimenting each other on such things more and talking to each other in public more.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I would HATE this. I don't go to the gym to socialize; I just want to get in and get out and do what I have to do. Can we all just agree to pretend we are invisible to each other?

I may be in the minority here but I'd probably err on the side of not doing something that could be uncomfortable for someone when NOT doing it won't run any risks at all.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I would HATE this. I don't go to the gym to socialize; I just want to get in and get out and do what I have to do. Can we all just agree to pretend we are invisible to each other?

I may be in the minority here but I'd probably err on the side of not doing something that could be uncomfortable for someone when NOT doing it won't run any risks at all.

the issue is isn't not necessarily a socialization thing.

it's a compliment- and that's it. it CAN be the start of a conversation- but ultimately just take it as a compliment and move on. just smile and nod and say thank you- it doesn't need to be a huge thing.

I personally have no issue saying something- I make sure it's between sets- on a water break and not a weird time- I rarely just walk up to someone and chime right in- usually it's only if our paths cross- and I'll say "damn you have a pretty clean" or something.

and that's it.

It's what lifters do.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't undressing him with your eyes, drooling, and/or stroking him while doing so? I'd say it's not weird.

eta: There was once a young (high-school, or just out?) girl doing squats in my gym. She has the best squat form I've seen from anyone in my gym. I didn't compliment her, although I wanted to. As an older guy, I thought that might have come across as a little creepy.

Just once, I'd like to see someone doing the drooling/ stroking thing at the gym... just for the hilarity. preferably to a guy. I'd hang around for the guys in white coats to show up.

Probably a good call on not complimenting the high school girl.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

the issue is isn't not necessarily a socialization thing.

it's a compliment- and that's it. it CAN be the start of a conversation- but ultimately just take it as a compliment and move on. just smile and nod and say thank you- it doesn't need to be a huge thing.

I personally have no issue saying something- I make sure it's between sets- on a water break and not a weird time- I rarely just walk up to someone and chime right in- usually it's only if our paths cross- and I'll say "damn you have a pretty clean" or something.

and that's it.

It's what lifters do.

If you don't think complimenting a stranger is a socialization thing, I'm not sure I understand you.

And as for "it's what lifters do," that's a lot of the reason I avoided that half of the gym for years. I am obviously the only one that feels this way on this thread, so I guess the OP can disregard, but I had to say it because I really do hate working out in public because of stuff like this. I am fully capable of being an adult and saying "Thanks," and leaving it at that when a stranger compliments me, but inside I'm thinking "please go away and let me finish what I'm doing and please don't look at me while I'm doing it."

Obviously I'm shy, but I'm not the only shy person who forces herself to go the gym.

Carry on, everyone. Just had to put the opposing view out there as it's an issue for me personally.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

Well, to clarify I was just thinking of complimenting him then going on my merry way. I don't usually like to make conversation at the gym because I only have a certain amount of time to workout every day.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Having been on both sides of that exchange, it's not weird at all.

Rigger
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you don't think complimenting a stranger is a socialization thing, I'm not sure I understand you.

And as for "it's what lifters do," that's a lot of the reason I avoided that half of the gym for years. I am obviously the only one that feels this way on this thread, so I guess the OP can disregard, but I had to say it because I really do hate working out in public because of stuff like this. I am fully capable of being an adult and saying "Thanks," and leaving it at that when a stranger compliments me, but inside I'm thinking "please go away and let me finish what I'm doing and please don't look at me while I'm doing it."

Obviously I'm shy, but I'm not the only shy person who forces herself to go the gym.

Carry on, everyone. Just had to put the opposing view out there as it's an issue for me personally.

it's okay- opposite opinions are okay too!

For me personally: socializing isn't the same as a "drive by compliment". I mean I just categorize socializing as a event- not a moment. Socializing is going to hang out- or standing there between sets doing more talking than lifting- a 2.5 second compliment doesn't even brush the surface of what I would consider "socializing".

And yes - it's rude if someone walks up to you mid set and interrupts you- but would you really be annoyed if someone said great lift if you were standing at the water cooler? I mean it's not interrupting you really from your actual work out. But this goes to show you- be careful of how you approach and don't be offended if they aren't really interested in striking up a full conversation., So it's good to keep in mind- some people really might hate it!

You can put it out there- it's okay- no one thinks you are "wrong"- it's an opinion and you are entitled to it :)

:flowerforyou:

but on average- no- giving someone a quick compliment isn't considered that weird in a gym setting. It's normal. you may not like it- but it's not really weird unless someone makes it weird.