help quit smoking at same time as starting weight loss

I'm at a stand still and reached a plateau. I know I shouldn't beat myself up because I'm attempting two extremely difficult goals but I'm at the point now that I feel like giving up one or the other. Oh just a fyi. My biggest fear about quitting smoking was gaining weight. Catch 22

Replies

• ksparrows
    ksparrows Posts: 15
    I didn't gain weight when I stopped smoking, I actually lost weight. Just keep moving, and napping. :) Good luck!
  • quit in October trying to lose last 10 pounds. It's a struggle. Most days I'm glad I haven't gained. scale number goes up scale number goes down.
  • I quit smoking on Dec 31st at Midnight and also began a nutrition/lifestyle change as well. I must say for me it has not been to bad so far. My wife is joining me. I use an e-cig when I have drinks to help me through. I use Meal replacement shakes and certified organic supplements to give my body what it needs and this has given me energy and keep me motivated and on track.
  • rwam
    rwam Posts: 13 Member
    Quiting smoking is hard but so worth it!! Since nicotine is an appetite suppresent, imagine how much you would be eating if you were not tracking it here. I found it was handy to just blame cigaretes for everything (being hungry, gaining weight, stomach issues from not coating your insides with poisons all day, etc.) It made the thought of how far I had come and not wanting to go back through it all again a motivation for quitting.
    Good Luck, you will conquer it if you really want to.
  • beezoo123, I truly feel your pain. In fact, no offense to the other respondent, I kind of want to shake those people who don't have this problem and then make it seem like it's no big deal or like it's somehow your fault...hard. I quit smoking once before and gained 10 lbs; so, I knew what I was in for. I quit a little more than a month ago and I have gained...wait for it...yep, 10 lbs. And I didn't and don't have a food addiction like so many people claim. Bodies are different. I began tracking my calories and exercising a couple weeks ago and thought I was on the way down, only to be discouraged. Anyway, the point is I believe it will get better. Just need to stick to it and be kind to yourself! Quitting smoking deserves some serious kudos! I try to look at the weight gain as my body trying to find it's natural equilibrium. Though I feel a little like a sausage link packed tightly into some of my pants these days, I know I've done myself a great service and the healthy habits I am adopting will further improve my life. So, I'm grateful that I had the strength to accomplish this once seemingly-insurmountable goal before it was too late. You should be, too!!
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    I did one first (losing weight) before the other. Deep down inside, I didn't want to fail so I concentrated on weight loss for 6 months before quitting smoking. Some can do both at the same time and kudos to them. I chose a different path.

You do whatever helps YOU achieve your final goal. Regardless of your decision, good luck.
  • Earthgirl51
    Earthgirl51 Posts: 73 Member
    Feel free to add me. I quit smoking on December 2. It has not been easy. When I feel the urge to smoke I jump on my mini tramp til I can't breathe. Truthfully, after 30 years smoking that doesn't take long. I started on MFP to keep from gaining weight. It seems to be working and there are days when it is easier. The encouragement here is wonderful. Good luck.
  • stephdmash
    stephdmash Posts: 16 Member
    I quit smoking February 8th & just started my weight-loss mission. I really think focusing on my health has helped with the side effects of quitting smoking. I still have really hard moments, and my social life outside of work and my home hasn't been super fun, but at the end of the day I am content with what I'm doing, and what I'm achieving each day.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    You can quit. It's as simple as not lighting a cigarette. You can certainly do that! So just go for it. My advice is to look into how your body responds to smoking and what causes the addictions. Maybe that will help you get past the anxious "need a cig now!!!!!!" feelings.