Celebs who lose and gain weight - Can we learn anything?

Options
Recently I've gotten very interested in this, I am not particularly sure why, I've never been the person who follows celeb news or cares to be honest. But I do find the concept of having your weight loss out in the limelight like that pretty intriguing.

Of particular interest to me is the lessons we can pick up from such huge shifts in weight that these guys go through. Is it healthy? can they maintain it? How do they do it? Etc.

Here are some names that were of interest to me of late:

1- Al Sharpton

No doubt his weight loss since 2009 has been nothing short of inspirational. Lost over 160lbs. He used to be a huge guy - now he's slimmer than most slim people you know. He says he doesn't eat anything after 6pm, he's a complete vegan & always works out. For a man who has a TV show, a radio show, is an accomplished author and has his own charity - this is impressive. He does look very sick though. Eat a cheese cake Rev - you need it!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/07/al-sharpton-weight-loss_n_4234447.html

2- Chris Pratt

You know him from Parks & Rec - we all like him. Funny likeable guy. Again went through so many changes for his acting roles - at one point having a massive beer belly. Now the guy has got an incredible 6 pack.

http://www.denofgeek.us/sites/denofgeekus/files/styles/article_main_half/public/chris_pratt_44.jpg?itok=pWIMUE-R

3- Jonah Hill

See-saw weight loss. Lost lots then gained it all back and then some - then lost again and now settled on something which by most standards is NOT okay but by his is actually pretty decent. Says japanese food helped him lost all his weight - when he gained it back, he blamed it on beer. He goes on to say 'i asked my nutritionist to give me a plan that allows me to drink beer and continue losing weight'. That to me is the problem with him - relying too much on nutritionists - do people still go to these?!

http://www.wetpaint.com/news/gallery/jonah-hills-shocking-weight-transformation-through-the-years-photos

There's lots of other names. Christian Bale recently gained 43 lbs for his role in 'American Hustle'. He has a massive bulge now:

http://assets-s3.usmagazine.com/uploads/assets/articles/67115-christian-bale-reveals-weight-gain-beer-belly-in-american-hustle-trailer/1381519156_christian-bale-article.jpg

And we all know weight gain has permanent effect on us - don't these guys worry about this?

What about you guys - any celebs out there that you find interesting in either a good or bad way? Just don't mention 'Kirsten Alley' :P

Replies

• jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Just watched American Hustle, the whole time I thought Bale was wearing a fat suit! After some research realized he actually ate donuts and burgers to put on 43 pounds.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Some celebs who lose weight .. do it the right way. Diet/exercise .. .stay out of the public eye for a few months and boom look great.

Others do fad diets and then spill their secrets to the regular population ... being dumb we think it is magic, buy it, lose weight, and then gain it back 2 weeks later.

Take each celebs weigh loss with a grain of salt. A lot of them will stop at nothing to look a certain way because they know they have millions of dollars waiting for them if they do.
  • Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Christian Bale has a massive bulge now:

Well..sounds like he is happy.
  • MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options
    They lose a ton of weight, because that's their job. Pop stars and actresses don't go to work everyday, hell a good chunk of their income isn't even from their work, it's from appearances and interviews. Their image is their brand and so they do whatever it takes to keep that brand in the papers and in demand. If my job 300 days a year (I'll assume the spend at least 65 days a year doing actual work) was to keep my body fit, my hair nice, and occasionally go out to check the mail without makeup, I would be teeny tiny and sexy too, if they had to work a menial and stressful job right hours a day, five days a week they'd probably pull on some sweat pants and snuggle up to a pizza at 1:30AM too.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    They lose a ton of weight, because that's their job. Pop stars and actresses don't go to work everyday, hell a good chunk of their income isn't even from their work, it's from appearances and interviews. Their image is their brand and so they do whatever it takes to keep that brand in the papers and in demand. If my job 300 days a year (I'll assume the spend at least 65 days a year doing actual work) was to keep my body fit, my hair nice, and occasionally go out to check the mail without makeup, I would be teeny tiny and sexy too, if they had to work a menial and stressful job right hours a day, five days a week they'd probably pull on some sweat pants and snuggle up to a pizza at 1:30AM too.

LIKE!!!!