Deadlifts: How much...

Options
lisalsd1
lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
I started doing deadlifts about a month ago. I can lift my body weight (125lbs) for 1 set. I was super proud of myself. I asked my husband if this was a "good" amount. He wouldn't give me a straight answer (probably b/c he didn't know).

So, ladies, how much are you lifting and how long have you been doing it?

Men can answer too...I'm not being sexist; I'm just sure that you are probably lifting more.

Replies

• tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    For ladies, I would say:
    2x BW = elite lift.
    1.5x BW = awesome lift
    1x BW = good lift, standard for strength.

Guys, I would .5-1xbw for same standards.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's normally considered relative to your bodyweight. But you can enter your bw, rep number and weight lifted at

http://www.strstd.com/

and it'll give you some idea where you fall on the beginner->inter->advanced->elite spectrum

for your bench, deads, squat and ohp.

Also some people have levers for deadlifting, some people are built for squatting, so all that has to be accounted for, too. Nothing's that straight-forward in life!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    For ladies, I would say:
    2x BW = elite lift.
    1.5x BW = awesome lift

^This sounds about right for women. You should be able to deadlift your body weight at least I'd say. Just keep training and progressing and you'll be fine.
  • lisalsd1
    Options
    It's normally considered relative to your bodyweight. But you can enter your bw, rep number and weight lifted at

http://www.strstd.com/

and it'll give you some idea where you fall on the beginner->inter->advanced->elite spectrum

for your bench, deads, squat and ohp.

Also some people have levers for deadlifting, some people are built for squatting, so all that has to be accounted for, too. Nothing's that straight-forward in life!

Awesome tool! I got between novice and intermediate...more towards intermediate on deadlift. So, I'm pleased with myself. You know what's funny is that my husband said, "well, everyone should be able to deadlift their body weight." It made me slightly mad when he said it...not mad at all when I read it on a forum though...ha!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm lifting my bodyweight (140lbs.) for 3 sets of 8 reps. In a week or two I'll increase the weight to 150 lbs. for 3 sets of 6 reps.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    You know what's funny is that my husband said, "well, everyone should be able to deadlift their body weight." It made me slightly mad when he said it...not mad at all when I read it on a forum though...ha!

Ha ha! You only hurt the ones you love....
  • lisalsd1
    Options
    You know what's funny is that my husband said, "well, everyone should be able to deadlift their body weight." It made me slightly mad when he said it...not mad at all when I read it on a forum though...ha!

I think it was his tone...it was more like, "well, EVERYONE should be able to deadlift their body weight." Jerk.
  • jimmmer
    Options

I think it was his tone...it was more like, "well, EVERYONE should be able to deadlift their body weight." Jerk.

Just break up...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    For ladies, I would say:
    2x BW = elite lift.
    1.5x BW = awesome lift

^This sounds about right for women. You should be able to deadlift your body weight at least I'd say. Just keep training and progressing and you'll be fine.

indeed. hitting body weight is nice- but when you start pushing 2x BW that's when it gets fun. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    For ladies, I would say:
    2x BW = elite lift.
    1.5x BW = awesome lift

indeed. hitting body weight is nice- but when you start pushing 2x BW that's when it gets fun. :)

Agreed...I hit BW on DLs a while ago at 160lbs...I failed at 200 Monday...got 3/5 reps out...when I hit 1.5bw...watch out...
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    A few weeks back, I did 155lb for x45 reps. The heaviest I've attempted is 185lb for x3 reps and completed those. Next time I go for deadlifts, I'm gonna try 200lb!!!
  • karryann2008
    Options
    I haven't dead lifted since December, but I was 140lbs and got 3 reps @132.5kg(291.5lbs) I've been lifting heavy for just over 4 years and I'm 48 and a granny!
  • lisalsd1
    Options
    Alright so from reading the women's responses, I need to add some more weight. I'm still proud of myself, BUT I probably can do more.
  • karryann2008
    Options
    Alright so from reading the women's responses, I need to add some more weight. I'm still proud of myself, BUT I probably can do more.

We all start low and gradually build up, Just keep going :-)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Don't let others (especially on an internet forum) influence how much weight you put on the bar. You want to progress your Deadlift at a rate where you can lift with good form. When form starts breaking down and you can't hit your set # of reps, then you deload 10% and work your way back up.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    before I got sick last week I was up to about 350# max....I could probably do more because that was at the end of my session so was a little taxed...I weight 175#
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Body weight is great. Just keep working on it and adding weight to the bar.

I've been lifting for 7(ish) years and my best single was last fall 305lb at 123lbs bw. Like another poster mentioned, different people have different levers. I have long arms and find deadlifting easy but bench more difficult.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Don't let others (especially on an internet forum) influence how much weight you put on the bar. You want to progress your Deadlift at a rate where you can lift with good form. When form starts breaking down and you can't hit your set # of reps, then you deload 10% and work your way back up.

Yuppers.

it will happen for you. You're off to a good start- milestones for DL are typically
    100 lbs (triple digits)
    body weight-
    then 1.5 body weight/200 lbs
    250 and then 2 x body weight.
    and so forth.

Don't rush it- this is an exciting time. Yes you will be adding more- so don't let anyone ever tell you "that's the most you are 'supposed' to lift-because there is always room for 5 more lbs on the bar <wink wink> but but but but don't' move till you are ready.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    A few weeks back, I did 155lb for x45 reps. The heaviest I've attempted is 185lb for x3 reps and completed those. Next time I go for deadlifts, I'm gonna try 200lb!!!
    45 reps of deads..????? Is that a typo?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    45 reps of deads..????? Is that a typo?

maybe 4 or 5??

LOL who knows- I'm doing a set of 20 squats I never thought I'd see the day... anything over that I think I might die.