Pre- Christmas Slump..

Options
So, maybe its just me but I signed up for MFP a couple weeks ago but I have been finding it extremely hard to get into the right mindset and properly motivated to start my weightloss journey. I keep telling myself I may as well indulge now because after Christmas I am cracking the whip!....Well, I know have to want to do this for myself but I am just wondering if anyone else is feeling this pre-Christmas slump. What are you doing to get yourself out of it?

Replies

• Kourtney88
    Kourtney88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I actually had a slump during the summer. I had just graduated from college and moved back into my parents house for a couple months while I waited for my master's program to start. I told myself, well mom and dad are willing to take me out to dinner almost every night now. When I live on my own I won't be going out to dinner that much. I should just take advantage of this and indulge now. I didn't gain THAT much, but I wasn't working out or doing anything to avoid gaining. When I did move into my own place, I was still buying junky foods from the grocery store and just eating them at home. I wish I had taken a different attitude then so I would be farther now. Now, I just look forward to the finish line. I read the successes forum pretty much daily. When I see that that many people were able to lose so much weight and look amazing I figure that it's totally possible and I can finally do it too! It doesn't mean that you have to give up everything this Christmas! Just learn how to limit your intake and take a sample of all your favorites. It's all about balance.
  • Canonoch
    Canonoch Posts: 120
    Options
    I'm sorry if I sound rude or in sensitive and preachy . I don't mean too. I truely have been there and have done it myself many times. But if you allow yourself to enjoy till after Christmas then it may become " starting Jan 1 my New Years Resolutioin will be.....". You need to start now not later. I'm not saying hard core that's it I'm not eating more than 1000cal/day and I'm going to walk 20 miles/day (exaggeration) but start doing better for yourself now by doing small things. I used to eat jelly bakery filled doughnuts 3-4 times a week and sometime 2 at a time. Now I may have 1 a month. Instead of drinking a large glass of milk 12-16oz I use a 6 oz jelly jar and log it as 1 cup (8oz). It is real work to lose weight. This is the first time I can ever think of that I have gone this long straight trying to lose weight. I actually started by walking I called it wamping (walk/limp) it took me 30min to go .75 miles. I also then found myself cutting out HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) they (corn industry) say it is fine in moderation but it is in everything. Sodas, Jams and Jellies, Catsup, BBQ Sauce, and even n my jelly doughnut treat. You deserve to do what you want to do. and if you want to lose the weight you deserve to start now and not put off any longer.
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Maybe just start making little changes now? Like logging your food just to see where you stand and start educating yourself on living a healthy lifestyle. Or walking or 30 minutes a day?

I hit a pretty bad slump in November and now I'm recovering from it. I guess there's no specific way that I got the motivation. I just though to myself, "I've lost 76 pounds so far. Yeah that's great but I don't want to look this way forever." Its hard to explain. I really don't they the holidays. They depress me and make me want to be lazy which is why I'm busting my butt now before Christmas hits.

You can add me as a friend if you want.
  • jackluke
    Options
    I totally agree with you, I have a love hate relationship with holidays as I allow my emotions to override the promises to myself i.e have a little of what you fancy- yet I seem to go overboard with food and wine which makes me feel lousy.
  • Rivah67
    Rivah67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i know if i let up over Christmas i wont get back it to it after. it happened a few years back where i did so well, had Christmas off them just couldn't get my mind back to eating right
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I had the same thing last week! I think it was the snow - it made it impossible for me to get to the gym and made me feel all Christmassy! So we had 3 takeaways and loads of alcohol! Worst of all - no exercise!! I know how easy it is to get in "holiday mode" and I was determined to work hard before xmas and then not over indulge - but the snow pushed me over the edge, I hate the stuff!!

But now I'm back on it - I figure if I have 2 really good weeks before Christmas, keep up the exercise over the holidays and don't go too crazy I shouldn't gain too much! I gained 10lbs last Christmas!! So fingers crossed it won't be that bad this year haha!
    -x-x-
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Canonoch
    I'm sorry if I sound rude or in sensitive and preachy . I don't mean too. I truely have been there and have done it myself many times. But if you allow yourself to enjoy till after Christmas then it may become " starting Jan 1 my New Years Resolutioin will be.....". You need to start now not later. I'm not saying hard core that's it I'm not eating more than 1000cal/day and I'm going to walk 20 miles/day (exaggeration) but start doing better for yourself now by doing small things. I used to eat jelly bakery filled doughnuts 3-4 times a week and sometime 2 at a time. Now I may have 1 a month. Instead of drinking a large glass of milk 12-16oz I use a 6 oz jelly jar and log it as 1 cup (8oz). It is real work to lose weight. This is the first time I can ever think of that I have gone this long straight trying to lose weight. I actually started by walking I called it wamping (walk/limp) it took me 30min to go .75 miles. I also then found myself cutting out HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) they (corn industry) say it is fine in moderation but it is in everything. Sodas, Jams and Jellies, Catsup, BBQ Sauce, and even n my jelly doughnut treat. You deserve to do what you want to do. and if you want to lose the weight you deserve to start now and not put off any longer.

1000 a day is way to little for a man , 1200 is th min for a small sedentry woman, please read below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

please read this
  • amysambora
    Options
    I do understand how you feel, but I wouldn't recommend letting yourself slide over Christmas. Just try and choose healthy options. Have some of what you like but try and watch your portion control. I speak from experience - about a year ago I was stuck in a desk job I hated. I'd been there for three years and stacked on the weight in that time. Finally I worked up the courage to quit, and for my last two weeks I completely let myself go. I thought "Soon I'll be out of here and I'll be able to move around during the day, get this weight off finally..." and I just let myself eat whatever I wanted. Part of it was me just 'giving up'. I didn't have the energy to fight anymore, it was so close to being over so I let myself eat my pain away *lol*!!!

As a result, I gained even MORE weight, not surprisingly. It really got me down, and just made it harder for me to get motivated - I looked at the weight I now had to lose which was even more than it was before and I thought "How can I ever do it?" It wasn't until 6 months later that I finally got around to doing something about it.

So that's my advice. Enjoy Christmas and don't deprive yourself, but don't blow out either :)
  • ThoughtsOfBelle
    ThoughtsOfBelle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Canonoch

1000 a day is way to little for a man , 1200 is th min for a small sedentry woman, please read below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

please read this

I'm pretty sure she was exaggerating to make a point...
  • eileenscott
    Options
    I'm having exactly the same thing! I often work out at lunchtime and over the next few weeks there are one or two pub lunches/special Christmas lunches a week - so not only am I eating badly, I don't even get to do my exercise. It's a double whammy!! It has made me so miserable with the stress and guilt, I've changed my goals for December to maintenance rather than to lose weight. I'd rather have a Happy Christmas and then make a good go of it on January, when everyone is on a health kick so it makes it much easier!
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    Hello Love......................it's a mind set. You either want it or don't. Within the first few months of your new eating life, you have to set your mind to eat on a regular basis and it has to be good choices. If you give in too soon, you tend to set yourself up for failure. Look in the mirror and ask yourself......................How bad do I want this? Only "YOU" can answer that question. We can all be here as a support for you, but you have to make the initial decision. I wish you all the luck in the world my dear and hope that you make a decision that will make "YOU" happy:bigsmile:
  • WhyNot2010
    Options
    I actually was lookign at the success stories on here last night... I decided then and there that i can do this.... also i put a star shapped silly band around my wrist as kinda the reminder not to over eat... im using it like the "ribbon of the finger" "dont forget"method