strength training everyday...is this safe?

Options
I'm thinking this is probably a stupid question because I always hear you should weight train every second day, but does anyone know if it is safe and healthy to do everyday? I plan on starting a routine(I am a 45 yr.old female newbie) so I would appreciate the feedback if anyone knows...thanks.

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting HEAVY weights, then you need a rest day in between. If you're lifting barbie weights, then it's cardio and you can do it every day.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Muscle groups need rest. So, if you're doing a full body routine, take a rest day. If you're doing a body part split, every day is fine, so long as you rotate so the same body part/area isn't worked two days in a row. And, as the previous poster stated, that is more the repulse for heavy lifting, not little weights or stuff like 30 Day Shred, really, but your muscles will still need some recovery time.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting heavy, more is not better. This is the error many people make with strength training. Pick a program, I suggest Stronglifts 5x5 and stick with it. Three days a week doing Stronglifts 5x5 is plenty of training, and a good programs for beginners to lay a strong foundation for the future.
  • lrose1969
    lrose1969 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank u all for the good advice. :happy: