HELP ( HOW DOES MFP WORK)

Options
Ok, now I know some people have told me but everyone is telling me sort of different things so I really just want to get a better understanding..

I am 21 and 400 pounds. Started MFP 3 days ago and I just love the support and people

So
On my Home page it says my

Goal is 2260

But for instance.
Today

I consumed in total 1385... and I burned 629 (for now, walking in a bit) after that it says = 756 NET
It says I have 1509 calories remaining

Everyone talks about having a deficint to lose weight.
But I am not really understanding that.

So does that mean that I have to have a 0 Net, that I burn as much as I eat ...

PLEASE HELP...
Thanks guys

Replies

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Okay so MFP gave you 2260 calories to eat a day...that already has the deficet built into it.

You exercised creating a bigger deficet so now you need to eat back exercise calories so that you are getting enough nutrition and fuel for the next workout.

MFP exercise calories are high so the suggestion is to eat back 50-75% of them.

So no don't burn as much as you eat....Your net should be as close to 2260 as you can get it...keeping in mind exercise calorie estimates are high...so today try to net 1900..give or take..so you have 1100 calories to go..
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your net accounts for your exercise avtivity of the day. Following MFP rules you should have your net always match your daily goal (so you will be eating more because you exercised)

intake- calories burned from exercise = net calories consumed
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Calm down for now. really. its ok.

If your number is GREEN eat.

If it is red stop.

Try that, then the game is just getting more accurate about everything.
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Okay so MFP gave you 2260 calories to eat a day...that already has the deficet built into it.

MFP exercise calories are high so the suggestion is to eat back 50-75% of them.

So no don't burn as much as you eat....Your net should be as close to 2260 as you can get it...keeping in mind exercise calorie estimates are high...so today try to net 1900..give or take..so you have 1100 calories to go..

^^ this

Essentially eat close to your daily calorie goal that MFP has given you but try to leave a bit remaining if you've been exercising.
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I definetly understand now.

I appreciate all the help!.

I was so confused, thats alot of calories to eat once you start tracking what you eat., before i would eat atleast 4-5,000 calories.
    So this is definetly a huge step. Also I know theres no way that the calculators could say exactly how much you burned or how much that meal you had was but its a good estimate.

thanks so much guys
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You have enough to lose at this point that you really can stick to just eating your goal calories every day and ignoring the added calories for your exercise.

That said, you can always use them if you want. For example, if you eat your goal calories one day and you're still hungry then you have the exercise calories as a cushion for that day. I agree that you want to avoid eating all of the burned calories back unless you have a heart rate monitor and know pretty accurately how many calories you've burned vs. using MFP's often inaccurate calorie burns (because it has no idea how intense your workout actually was).
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to eat to little,

They say that a good healthy calorie intake is based on 1200-1400.
    So would that stale me if I stuck to those numbers
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options

Don't listen to this. You are also 400 lbs. Gonna take some time. Try what you are doing for a month or so.

If you talk to your DR, I believe they can recommend a temporary very low calorie diet. I wouldn't trust anything that people tell you on the internet about that though.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options

Just read this article, and still had the tab open, so here it is for you: http://berzinatorfitnessdesigns.com/2014/03/06/are-you-dieting-too-hard/
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I dont know if it would stall you, but the overall rate of loss wouldn't necessarily be the healthiest trajectory. As you lose weight and you adjust your current weight your goals will adjust to account for your adjusted BMR. Also, if you're on the tall side 1200 - 1400 may be just too low. Additionally, it may be difficult for you to sustain all the changes that would take you from 4000-5000 calories to 1200-1400 calories cold turkey. Make reasonable and incremental goals for yourself and you'll find an increase in the likelihood of success.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It is
    1. your body takes a certain amount of calories just to function wether you decide to get out of bed that day or not, since you currently have a larger body that number is higher for you. Eating much below that number is usually frowned upon becuase it can lead to medical problems long term
    2. This is all a change for your body, its great that you are feeling so awesome to start with and hopefully you stay that way, but you might also decide next week you are really freaking hungry. It is worth eating more and losing slower if you will continue to process and not quit 2 weeks in.

1200-1400 sounds like pretty low numbers? Not sure where you are getting them from? Just to give you an idea I am a 200lb 5'6 female and my BMR (what I was talking about in #1) is about 1700 calories at the moment

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

that is a great link to a website if you are interested in calculating your BMR
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Also I know theres no way that the calculators could say exactly how much you burned or how much that meal you had was but its a good estimate.

Depending on the type of exercise you're doing a heart rate monitor (with a chest strap) is probably about as close as you'll get to estimating your actual calorie burns. It isn't perfect but much better than relying on MFP or other databases to tell you how much you've burned. They only take into account your personal stats and that you said you did XYZ exercise for however much time. They have no idea how much effort you actually put into it.
  • amarisstorm
    amarisstorm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Stick to your goal calories for now. Don't rush it. 1200 calories is the bare minimum for a person at a healthy weight and light activity to stay healthy. Those of us who weigh more or do more need more. When we try to lose too much too quickly the weight loss tends to stall and come back easier. I think of it like the body panics "We're STARVING!" and fights against losing the weight.

Give yourself time to adapt. You will see significant results if you just stick to MFP goals for awhile.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You're getting good advice here. I just wanted to say Good luck!

I'm down about 170 pounds from my highest weight My one piece of advice is don't try to lose too fast. Find a sustainable diet. You will burn out quickly if you eat too few calories. Stick with the recommended amounts and don't adjust them downward unless you don't lose.

Also, a little bit of weight training will help you retain lean mass. Just a couple of thirty minute sessions a week is sufficient.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Ok, now I know some people have told me but everyone is telling me sort of different things so I really just want to get a better understanding..

I am 21 and 400 pounds. Started MFP 3 days ago and I just love the support and people

So
    On my Home page it says my

Goal is 2260

But for instance.
    Today

I consumed in total 1385... and I burned 629 (for now, walking in a bit) after that it says = 756 NET
    It says I have 1509 calories remaining

Everyone talks about having a deficint to lose weight.
    But I am not really understanding that.

So does that mean that I have to have a 0 Net, that I burn as much as I eat ...

PLEASE HELP...
    Thanks guys

No, you're not understanding what a deficit is...you don't have to exercise off every single calorie you consume...your body burns an *kitten* ton of calories just being and keeping you alive and breathing. Those are your basal calories....your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). Then you have energy (calorie) requirements for just moving around and doing your day to day type of stuff...then you have exercise. All of these things combine to your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)...these are the calories you would consume to maintain your weight.

MFP gives you a weight loss goal just based on your day to day type of stuff...this is called your NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) and is exclusive of exercise...in other words, if you ate to the calorie goal MFP gives you without any exercise whatsoever, you would lose weight...because the deficit is built into your calorie GOAL as per your stats and whatever rate of loss you told MFP.

So here's how it looks using my numbers. My NEAT is right around 2300 calories...If I didn't do a lick of exercise and just lived my day to day life and did my day to day stuff, I would maintain my weight consuming roughly 2300 calories...I "burn" roughly 2300 calories per day doing nothing but living my life. To lose 1 Lb per week I need a 500 calorie per day deficit...so MFP would give me a calorie GOAL of 2300 - 500 = 1,800 calories. You see...this number includes that 500 calorie deficit to lose weight.

Now, when I exercise, I have gone above and beyond my day to day...so my calorie requirement increase and I can eat a bit more and achieve the same goals. Lets say I burn around 400 calories and log that...now MFP will increase my calorie goal to 2,200 calories....but I still have my 500 calorie deficit because my maintenance number of 2300 has also increased by those 400 calories of additional activity to 2,700 calories and 2,700 - 2,200 = 500 calorie deficit still.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

That's too few calories based on your size. You need to eat the amount MFP provided you to properly fuel your body, plus a portion of your exercise calories.

Make sure you eat plenty of protein and fat too and eat real food.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You're quite overweight so if you stick to MFP until you get closer to your goal. I say this because once you get stared its easy to understand and follow and you will lose weight. Once you've lost some weight, it gets harder to shift, from there you might like to look into other methods which are more complicated to understand.

Good luck :)
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

Um. Yes and no. It depends.

You want to eat enough so you're getting good fuel and nutrition. You don't want your body just dropping weight from anywhere. Getting good protein and enough calories keeps things going the right way. Exercise helps too. All of that makes sure you're losing fat, which is what you really want. Losing "weight" can mean a lot of things. You don't want to get so much of a deficit that your body starts eating muscle. You'll lose some muscle as you lose fat no matter what. So minimizing that is the goal.

Hope I said that all right. Typing fast and thinking about two other things. lol Work. Don't they know I have internetting to do!?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I was 215 when I started and was eating 2500 calories a day + all of my exercise calories and dropped weight like nobody's business. It was such a relief to KNOW how much I had to eat (a lot of food, but not all the food) so I was neither starving nor stuffed.