HRM tells me I burned 700 calories?!

Options
Well I programmed my new HRM yesterday and was able to use it correctly today. I decided to restart C25K and started with week 2, since it has been a little while since I last ran.

When I got done, my HRM is telling me I burned close to 700 calories! No way can that be right, right?? I checked my weight setting, it is correct. It does not allow me to put in height or age though.

I am at a loss as to what could have caused it. I do know that it included my warm ups, which were shooting hoops for 5 minutes and walking for 5 minutes. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say it, but its entirely possible to burn 700 cals in an hr, especially if you carry more weight or are taller, and male.

I can burn 600 cals in a body combat session.
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    I am 5' 5", 215 lbs and burn 640-700 cal an hour during Zumba.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym the other day & torched 600 cal in an hr (30 min C25K, 30 min elliptical). I'm 5'5", 28 y/o gal :)
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    how long did C25K take? If it was a 1/2 hour 700 is prob off, but an hour, possibly accurate. I walked an hour 4 miles, keeping high heart rate and burned 700. And I'm female w.in a healthy weight range.
  • umfan85
    umfan85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Wow, well that does make me feel better. So I should just trust what it says? Maybe I will log 75% of it just to be safe.

It was only 30 minutes, I think it's off too.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    I burned 500 cals the other day just by walking and running .. only ran 1/2 mile, walked the rest in 40 minutes. 700 is possible.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Wow, my HRM says between 290 and 310 for week 2! What were your average and max heart rates? It's only 27 minutes at most, so that doesn't really seem possible to me. I just started week 3 Monday and I only burned 320.
  • umfan85
    umfan85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    After doing some research, it seems to be a fairly common problem with this model. I will just log what I was using before, kind of disappointed about it though.

At least I will be able to train smarter, but will have to figure out a way to calculate calories burned.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    That sucks. What kind is it? I used to have my husband figure out how far I went with Google Earth. You can use the ruler to draw out the path you took and it will tell you how far you've gone, so you could use that to get an average speed. That is what I did before I got my HRM. It's not completely accurate, but it's better than nothing.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    An hour for 700 cals? Yes. 30 mins for 700 cals? Probably not, unless you were running at an Olympic qualifier speed the entire time.
  • ley1
    ley1 Posts: 115
    Options
    That sucks. What kind is it? I used to have my husband figure out how far I went with Google Earth. You can use the ruler to draw out the path you took and it will tell you how far you've gone, so you could use that to get an average speed. That is what I did before I got my HRM. It's not completely accurate, but it's better than nothing.

you can also use this site....

http://gb.mapometer.com/en/

not sure if it has everywhere in the world but this is what i use to map out my walks.

i walk a 5mile walk twice a week and it normally takes me an hour - my hrm says i burn average 600cals doing it
  • cracky
    cracky Posts: 15
    Options
    after a while my HRM chest strap started to malfunction... I would be doing pretty much nothing and it would be claiming that my heart rate was 275 beats per minute...

Obviously this wasn't correct but if I left it on it would record that I was burning thousands of calories and had the same resting heart rate as a hummingbird.

After much fiddling around and checking I sent my chest strap to join the other broken fitness toys in the sky and have asked santa for a new one soon.

Maybe if you don't feel like you are working hard or if you feel it to be inacurate, check it out. I'm guessing mine can't be the only one that did that!
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Not unless you're upwards of 600lbs or so.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    ley, that site's pretty good thank you.