Turbo Fire HIIT workouts - I don't like them - anyone else?

Options
I don't get a good workout when I do them - I just did HIIT 20, and only burned 150 calories. :/ I can't do all the moves, so I follow the low impact, and I just don't get a good calorie burn. Is it just me?

What else could I do to replace these in her schedule? If I did my own HIIT on my treadmill on her HIIT days, would that keep me in the program?

Replies

• danielleca
    danielleca Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like the HIIT workouts but I usually do the higher impact and I'm toast by the end, but different things work better for different people. Anything that gets you to a high intensity level should be fine. Something else that might work is doing the fire section a few times and the other workouts if you're able to do that.

The beauty of these workouts is that you can switch things around to fit your current state of fitness. Good luck!
  • deannarey13
    Options
    I also find them to be tough on my knees too. I agree with you. However, the one thing about a HIIT workout is that you might only burn 150 calories DURING the workout, but it boosts your caloric burn throughout the rest of the day in comparison to a typical aerobic workout.
  • mandyarostegui
    mandyarostegui Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Exactly what deannarey said! It's only 20 minutes - I don't know that you're going to burn a ton of calories during the work out... but the awesome thing with the HIIT's is that the calorie burn keeps going LONG after!

If you're just starting out with them, definitely do the low impact. I think if you kept up with them, you can definitely work your way up to the higher impact moves and feel like you're getting a better work out - but I still think you'd be getting great benefits with the low impact, too!

You have to do what feels best to you, though! :)

Maybe if you added on another short workout before or after, you would feel better about it? I'd hate to add more to your work out... so that's not needed... but just a thought!
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I wish there was some way to prove to myself that I am burning more cals throughout the day. I am very spoiled by my new HRM!

How do we know that the burn is continuing?
  • deannarey13
    Options
    I wish there was some way to prove to myself that I am burning more cals throughout the day. I am very spoiled by my new HRM!

How do we know that the burn is continuing?

Do you wear your HRM all day? If so, see how many you burn throughout the day when you don't do a HIIT and then compare that with how many you burn when you do.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I thought I read on here you can't use the HRM for an all day read? I thought they were only effective when your heart rate is over 100?

Has anyone else tried wearing it all day, and after a HIIT to record the "afterburn"?
  • bakerseve17
    Options
    I was wondering would the program be as effective if you only did the HIIT workouts? I enjoy the regular ones and the HIIT videos BUT im SO BUSY! the shorter the better, so i was wondering if it would work if i alternated the hitt workouts.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Oh I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Turbo Fire HIIT workouts. They are killer (hopefully not literally, though sometimes it feels like it). I have no idea how many calories I burn but I love pushing myself that hard. I'd only ever done running HIIT before I started Turbo Fire, but I have become a huge fan of the plyometrics. I'm starting week 9 tomorrow and it's a HIIT week. :love:

You could always just rotate the othe workouts and not follow the schedule if you don't like them.

Edit: re: the HRM - when doing HIIT correctly you probably won't get a good read on a HRM because you will likely not stay in the aerobic zone and HRM only measure correctly for aerobics. But since you are doing the lower impact yours may be correct.
  • bakerseve17
    Options
    Oh I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Turbo Fire HIIT workouts. They are killer (hopefully not literally, though sometimes it feels like it). I have no idea how many calories I burn but I love pushing myself that hard. I'd only ever done running HIIT before I started Turbo Fire, but I have become a huge fan of the plyometrics. I'm starting week 9 tomorrow and it's a HIIT week. :love:

You could always just rotate the othe workouts and not follow the schedule if you don't like them.

So you think alternating the HIIT workouts would be as effective? i was following the schedule but about a week ago it was thrown off due to school and group meetings etc etc lol and when i was suppose to do a regular 45, I didn't have time so i did the 25 HIIT!
  • bcattoes
    Options

So you think alternating the HIIT workouts would be as effective? i was following the schedule but about a week ago it was thrown off due to school and group meetings etc etc lol and when i was suppose to do a regular 45, I didn't have time so i did the 25 HIIT!

It would definitely give you a good workout. Not the same as combining the longer cardio, strength, stretch and HIIT, but still a good workout. If I only had a few minutes each day, I'd do TF HIIT most days and some strength training a couple days a week.
  • bakerseve17
    Options

It would definitely give you a good workout. Not the same as combining the longer cardio, strength, stretch and HIIT, but still a good workout. If I only had a few minutes each day, I'd do TF HIIT most days and some strength training a couple days a week.

yeah, ive added strength training BUT bad knees :( IDK if my weight caused the sudden pain, bad form when doing squats or my body in shock lol
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I also find them to be tough on my knees too. I agree with you. However, the one thing about a HIIT workout is that you might only burn 150 calories DURING the workout, but it boosts your caloric burn throughout the rest of the day in comparison to a typical aerobic workout.

^^ yup this :)
  • rsterrett
    rsterrett Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Turbo Fire for about 2 weeks and the HIIT workouts broke my plateau! I've started losing again. They are difficult when doing them, but well worth it!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I LOVE turbo fire HIIT. Seriously my favorite indoor workout I've ever done. I didn't have any problems with my knees, but since I'm older (52) I am very careful about form to protect my knees.

But I can see how doing them low impact would lessen the calorie burn. Maybe do it twice? Or just substitute one of the longer workouts on those days.

ETA: I just realized this was an old post and now I've answered twice. :laugh:
  • ckasap
    ckasap Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE my HIIT workouts but when I first started doing them I was all over place and unable to keep up or do many reps. The thing that I really like is that it doesn't take many sessions to get the hang of moves and be able to do do more, go lower, move longer, etc. My husband hated them at first but now he does them with me.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else who loves TF's HIITs. My personal fave is HIIT 15. That workout is an *kitten* kicker and it's only 15 minutes! Also agree about HRM's measuring your steady state cardio. I don't think/know if HIIT would count. Yes, you get the "afterburn" all day, supposedly.
  • i_like_snow
    i_like_snow Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love the HIIT workouts! But I feel like it isn't a long enough workout for me so on my HIIT days I also do the 30 Day Shred after my HIIT workout. I am on week 11 of TF and on my last 2 days of the 30 Day Shred and I have lost 15lbs!