Is this a reasonable plan?

Options
I'm not looking for diet or exercise advice as such, I'm just wondering if this seems like a reasonable way to go about things?

I'm 5'5 and I started at 391lbs. I'm now 364lbs, and I have just set my goal weight as 165lbs. Firstly, because having less than 200lbs to go until I reach my goal is more motivating than seeing I have over 200lbs left to go. Silly, but hey ho. Secondly, given my current weight, I'm sure I'll be left with at least some loose skin which may account for extra weight, so I don't want to set my goal too low and then struggle to reach it because of the extra skin.

Anyway, I'm almost 27 years old, and my plan - if you can call it that - is to lose the weight by January 1st 2016, or a couple of months before my 29th birthday. I'm then planning on spending 2016 toning and sculpting my body through exercise, as much as I possibly can.

I know for a lot of you, exercise is important and you believe everyone should start working out right away, but at my weight, it's difficult. Like, really difficult. And I don't have the money to go to a gym and I don't have the confidence to work out outside. I am getting a puppy in April and I am registered to do a 5k fun run for charity in June, so the puppy will give me daily exercise, and I'm hoping the fun run will boost my confidence in terms of getting out there and exercising even if people can see me. I'm also hoping that over time, I'll gradually want to become more active as the weight comes off.

But, until that, am I doing something dangerously wrong by focusing more on weight loss rather than exercise?

Another thing - and I realise this might sound like a fat girl making excuses, lol - I suffer from pretty severe depression and it drains me of my energy and motivation. I would love to be one of those people who can go swimming or out for a walk whenever, but even when I want to, sometimes I will feel too low and too lethargic to actually get up and do it. So, that's another reason I'm focusing more on the weight loss aspect. Because at least it's something, right?

Replies

• stephaniestocklas9
    stephaniestocklas9 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think it is very reasonable. If your goal is just strictly weight loss then cutting calories is the best way to go. Walking with your dog would be a great way to exercise for the time being. I myself suffered some depression and severe lack of motivation to exercise for a while and I just cut calories in the beginning too. Hopefully you can exercise when you're well and ready! I think that exercising helped my depression somewhat and I hope it does for you too. But I'm not a doctor so take my opinion with a grain of salt :)
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    Well, the puppy will certainly get you outside. There was a post earlier today where the person weighed almost 500lbs. He chose to walk in place as a start. I would suggest any movement beats no movement. As for depression I am sure you are not alone but diet and exercise can help with that believe or not. It doesn't have to the 30 day shred. It can be the minute walk in place. He started at a minute then increased it each day. It is all up to you and what you want to do. Be realistic for you.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking for diet or exercise advice as such, I'm just wondering if this seems like a reasonable way to go about things?

I'm 5'5 and I started at 391lbs. I'm now 364lbs, and I have just set my goal weight as 165lbs. Firstly, because having less than 200lbs to go until I reach my goal is more motivating than seeing I have over 200lbs left to go. Silly, but hey ho. Secondly, given my current weight, I'm sure I'll be left with at least some loose skin which may account for extra weight, so I don't want to set my goal too low and then struggle to reach it because of the extra skin.

Anyway, I'm almost 27 years old, and my plan - if you can call it that - is to lose the weight by January 1st 2016, or a couple of months before my 29th birthday. I'm then planning on spending 2016 toning and sculpting my body through exercise, as much as I possibly can.

I know for a lot of you, exercise is important and you believe everyone should start working out right away, but at my weight, it's difficult. Like, really difficult. And I don't have the money to go to a gym and I don't have the confidence to work out outside. I am getting a puppy in April and I am registered to do a 5k fun run for charity in June, so the puppy will give me daily exercise, and I'm hoping the fun run will boost my confidence in terms of getting out there and exercising even if people can see me. I'm also hoping that over time, I'll gradually want to become more active as the weight comes off.

But, until that, am I doing something dangerously wrong by focusing more on weight loss rather than exercise?

Another thing - and I realise this might sound like a fat girl making excuses, lol - I suffer from pretty severe depression and it drains me of my energy and motivation. I would love to be one of those people who can go swimming or out for a walk whenever, but even when I want to, sometimes I will feel too low and too lethargic to actually get up and do it. So, that's another reason I'm focusing more on the weight loss aspect. Because at least it's something, right?

my opinion.... start with learning about different foods and their nutrition profile, second throw away processed foods in your house and start shopping nutrient dense whole foods, 3rd start controlling your food portion sizes, a cup, a bowl, a serving, etc. any form of accountability and progress from there, 4th start getting active, swim, walk your dog, get off a bus stop away from work and walk, etc. do this for a reasonable time and PROGRESS EACH TIME YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE...,. goodluck
  • iAmErikaP
    iAmErikaP Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sounds reasonable to me. The puppy will definitely get you outside, which may in turn help with your depression. Keep a journal of your progress so you can look back and see the small changes. Exercise can be hard in the beginning, don't let it discourage you. At one point I could barely walk a flight of stairs without getting winded. Now I walk to the grocery store and enjoy it. Good luck!
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've lost 44 pounds so far ... and I never thought about losing 44 pounds. For me, it was about gradual weight loss. I might lose 1 pound in a week, or two weeks. And, it made me happy, because I was headed in the right direction. So, maybe focus on losing 10 pounds in 2 months, or something like that. I always did that, and almost never made it, but even if I came up short, I always lost a percentage of that weight. My mindset: Hey, I'm getting there, moving forward, making progress. I still have 14 pounds to go, and I'm not even thinking about it. I'm just sticking with the program. I would say that if you just focused on the process, and not the result, you'll get closer and closer, and next thing you know you'll be feeling better and exercising more.

But, to start out, you can't beat walking. Maybe find a couple workout videos to do at home. I do almost all of my exercise at home. At the beginning, I had creaky joints and got achy. I walked first, added in a short jog here and there, and worked my way up to where I can do a 5K regularly. But, it took time, and I listened to my body. Go at your own pace, and keep adding as you go along. Now, I work out at least 30 minutes a day, and am doing things that I haven't been able to do in many, many years.

Good luck! Sounds like you're mapping a reasonable path to start.
  • alouise81
    Options
    Hi Laura! I lost over 100 pounds once, and now I'm a fitness professional. Let me just say that YES, exercise IS important when losing weight, and will certainly speed the process up.

NOW! Here's my "reasonable, we're all REAL people" advice. Working out at a bigger weight is uncomfortable and very hard to accomplish without having negative thougths running through our brains and clouding our minds....which sucks and makes me unmotivated. I was fighting depression big time right before I decided to lose the weight. (I saw a therapist, which did help tremendosly, fyi), so I understand what you're going through.

One. Thing. At. A. Time. Seriously! Focus on nutrition, no gym! Walk. That's it. If you're not feeling the walk, don't. JUST EAT HEALTHY. Find a program that works for your day to day schedule. ALSO! One that you LIKE and will make you succeed. For example. People will tell me "count calories", "reduce fat", "portion control". WELL. I SUCK at portion control, frankly, and I hate calorie counting, and I love meat...SO If I were changing my lifestyle, I wanted one that could include me eating a lot. ;) I really liked the Dr. Ian Smith Fat Blaster book and plan. I LOVE veggies, and salads with grilled chicken, and I could eat a lot of that stuff. That's just what works for me. Also, learning as much as you can about nutrition helps. Watch documentarys and read lots of diet plans just to see what's all out there.

I recommend starting with a "cleanse"...NOT one where you don't eat. One where you're focusing hard-core on clean eating so you can rid your system of toxins right away. Lots of companies have GREAT stuff out there. My two favorite are Beachbody and Advocare.

Seriously, focus on nutrition. That's 80% of it. Once you see some weight fall off, the motivation will come to workout on it's own. It will excited you! Trust me:) I first started working out with DVD's, because I was still nervous about not knowing what I was doing at the gym. heehee.

Good Luck! Please message me if you have any questions, or what to chat.

:)
  • sezie
    sezie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 40 or so lbs just through nutrition(eating at a calorie deficit) and walking. I've only just started working out properly now and I'm enjoying it because I'm smaller and feel way more comfortable at the gym than I did before.

You should do what works for you and if that means starting out with good nutrition and walking, that's definitely what you should do until other things become easier for you!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs over two years. I think your goal is a great one.

Just remember some words of advice from someone who's still struggling to overcome the damage I did during the loss.

-Take a multivitamin (make sure it has iron, calcium, b12, k, d)
    -Do some form of weight-bearing, moderate impact exercise (walking, for example) every day -- this will help retain bone while you're in a deficit
    -When you're ready, lift weights/do squats/planks/etc. -- this will help retain muscle
    -Eat enough protein, so your body doesn't rely on the muscles in your body for nutrients while you're in a deficit
    -Get 25 grams of fiber every day -- your colon needs this
    -Get 30 grams of fat every day (more is fine) -- the cells in your body need this
    -Get 100 grams of protein every day (more is fine) -- the cells in your body need this
    -Eat 120 calories of fruit every day
    -Eat 75 calories of vegetables every day